Suneet Varma sketching
|Born||1964 (age 54–55)|
|Known for||Suneet Varma Couture line and stores|
Suneet Varma (born 1964) is an eminent Indian fashion designer. He launched his first Couture collection in 1987 after returning from Europe where he worked for Yves Saint Laurent to master traditional artisanal techniques. He set up a self-named boutique at DLF Emporio Delhi in 2009. He has collaborated with brands BMW, Judith Leiber, Azva by World Gold Council , Moet Chandon, Arttdinox by Jindal Steel, Faces by the Sartorialist and Swarovski.
Every year he showcases his couture collection based on a theme .His 2010 collection "The Pirates of Couture" was inspired by fashion illustrator Antonio Lopez's book Antonio's Tales from the Thousand & One Nights. He did a fashion show themed on Kamasutra in July 2011. The inspiration for shows in 2014 were The Princess of Shekhawati and [Josephine Baker], The flapper Girl.
Early life and education
His father was a textile consultant, and he was brought up in New Delhi, along with his sister Geetika Varma and brother Vineet Varma. After his schooling he went to London to study sculpting, however after doing a foundation course in sculpting and painting, he switched to fashion and graduated from the London College of Fashion in costume history.
Varma started his career in 1986, working as an intern with Yves Saint Laurent label in Paris, subsequently he worked for the Lalbhai group (Arvind Mills) in Ahmedabad on a denim project after the company tied up with fashion designer Gloria Vanderbilt. He had his first fashion show in 1991. In 2009, he started design collaboration with American luxury handbag brand, Judith Leiber and is also the first Indian designer to design the interiors of the BMW 7 series.
- "Suneet Varma's 'Elixir of Youth', a fabled magical potion". CNN-IBN. Retrieved 2012-04-21.
- "Couture comes calling". Hindustan Times. 2011-07-20. Retrieved 2012-04-21.
- "From delivering courier packets for to successful fashion designer, meet Suneet Varma". Daily Mail. Retrieved 2012-04-19.
- "Fashion is universal expression of art'", The Pioneer, 2013-02-22, retrieved 2013-03-13
- "Suneet's musical rendition of Kamasutra - Times Of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 2012-04-21.
- "Feathers, flappers and fans... Oh my! Design ace Suneet Varma jazzes up the runway with a roaring 20s theme". Mail Today. Retrieved 2014-09-22.
- "Genuine article!". The Hindu. 26 July 2008.
- "From delivering courier packets for to successful fashion designer: meet Suneet Varma". Daily Mail. 17 April 2012.
- "The real romantic: After 25 years in business, Suneet Varma is set to move from being a designer to a true fashion house". Mint Lounge. 20 Apr 2012.