|Born||1965 (age 53–54)|
|Alma mater||Princeton University|
Imperial College London
|Awards||Rosalind Franklin Award|
Sahitya Akademi Award
|Institutions||University of Oxford|
|Thesis||Heterogeneity and the transmission dynamics of infectious diseases (1992)|
Sunetra Gupta (born 15 March 1965) is a novelist, and Professor of Theoretical Epidemiology at the University of Oxford with an interest in infectious disease agents that are responsible for malaria, HIV, influenza and bacterial meningitis. She is a recipient of the Sahitya Akademi Award.
Education and early life
Career and research
Gupta wrote her first works of fiction in Bengali. She was the translator of the poetry of Rabindranath Tagore. She has published several novels in English. In October 2012 her fifth novel, So Good in Black was longlisted for the DSC Prize for South Asian Literature.
- Memories of Rain. Penguin Books India, New Delhi 1992, ISBN 978-0-14-016907-2.
- The Glassblower's Breath (1993)
- Moonlight into Marzipan (1995)
- A Sin of Colour (1999)
- So Good in Black (2009)
- "Sunetra Gupta". The Life Scientific. 25 September 2012. BBC Radio 4. Retrieved 18 January 2014.
- "Weekend Birthdays", The Guardian, p. 51, 15 March 2014
- Recker, M.; Pybus, O. G.; Nee, S.; Gupta, S. (2007). "The generation of influenza outbreaks by a network of host immune responses against a limited set of antigenic types". Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. 104 (18): 7711–7716. doi:10.1073/pnas.0702154104. PMC 1855915. PMID 17460037.
- Recker, M.; Nee, S.; Bull, P. C.; Kinyanjui, S.; Marsh, K.; Newbold, C.; Gupta, S. (2004). "Transient cross-reactive immune responses can orchestrate antigenic variation in malaria". Nature. 429 (6991): 555–558. doi:10.1038/nature02486. PMID 15175751.
- Gupta, S.; Snow, R. W.; Donnelly, C. A.; Marsh, K.; Newbold, C. (1999). "Immunity to non-cerebral severe malaria is acquired after one or two infections". Nature Medicine. 5 (3): 340–343. doi:10.1038/6560. PMID 10086393.
- Ferguson, N.; Anderson, R.; Gupta, S. (1999). "The effect of antibody-dependent enhancement on the transmission dynamics and persistence of multiple-strain pathogens". Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. 96 (2): 790. doi:10.1073/pnas.96.2.790. PMC 15215.
- Buckee, C. O.; Jolley, K. A.; Recker, M.; Penman, B.; Kriz, P.; Gupta, S.; Maiden, M. C. J. (2008). "Role of selection in the emergence of lineages and the evolution of virulence in Neisseria meningitidis". Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. 105 (39): 15082. doi:10.1073/pnas.0712019105. PMC 2553036. PMID 18815379.
- http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01mw2d6 Sunetra Gupta on the Life Scientific
- Gupta, Sunetra (1992). Heterogeneity and the transmission dynamics of infectious diseases (PhD thesis). Imperial College London. EThOS uk.bl.ethos.309107.
- Princeton University Press, European Advisory Board Archived 2011-06-08 at the Wayback Machine
- "Indian woman scientist's portrait to be exhibited in Britain". The Times of India. Retrieved 1 September 2013.
- "biography". Sunetra Gupta. Retrieved 1 September 2013.