Sunflower, Wichita, Kansas
|Elevation||1,305 ft (398 m)|
Sunflower is located at  It consists of the area between West Street in the west and Meridian Avenue in the east and between Central Avenue in the north and U.S. Route 54 in the south. Sunflower borders the neighborhoods of La Placita Park and Indian Hills to the north, Delano to the east, Stanley/Aley to the south, Orchard Breeze to the west, and Orchard Park to the northwest.(37.686667, -97.381389) at an elevation of 1,305 ft (398 m).
For the purposes of representation on the Wichita City Council, the portion of Sunflower south of Douglas Avenue is in Council District 4, and the portion north of Douglas is in Council District 6.
- Lawrence Elementary School
- Mayberry Cultural/Fine Arts Magnet Middle School
KSAS-TV, the FOX television affiliate in Wichita, and KMTW, a MyNetworkTV affiliate, broadcast from studios on North West Street in Sunflower. Radio station KSGL, which plays a mixed Christian and Adult Standards format, broadcasts from studios on West Central Avenue in Sunflower.
Parks and recreation
The city's Department of Park and Recreation maintains one park in Sunflower: West Douglas Park. The park consists of 16.77 acres (6.79 ha) and includes a concession stand, an open shelter, playgrounds, softball diamonds, and tennis courts.
Douglas Avenue and Maple Street, both of which run east–west, are the primary streets through Sunflower. Other arterial roads include: Central Avenue, which runs east–west along the north side of the neighborhood; Meridian Avenue, which runs north–south on the east side; and West Street, which runs north–south on the west side. U.S. Route 54 runs east–west as the Kellogg Avenue freeway along the south side of the neighborhood, accessible via interchanges at West Street, Edwards Street, and Meridian.
Kansas and Oklahoma Railroad operates a freight rail line which runs northwest–southeast through the northeast corner of the neighborhood and northeast–southwest through the southeast corner of the neighborhood.
- "Sunflower, Wichita, Kansas". StatisticalAtlas.com. Cedar Lake Ventures. Retrieved 2018-11-03.
- "Neighborhood Associations – City of Wichita, Kansas" (PDF). City of Wichita. Retrieved 2018-11-03.
- "Sunflower, Wichita, KS". Google Maps. Retrieved 2018-11-03.
- Sunflower, Wichita, KS, Google Earth
- "Wichita Council District 4 [Map]" (PDF). City of Wichita. 2017-06-29. Retrieved 2018-11-03.
- "Kansas Senate District Map (2017-18 Session)". Kansas Bar Association. Retrieved 2018-11-03.
- "Kansas House of Representatives (2017-18 Session)". Kansas Bar Association. Retrieved 2018-11-03.
- "Directory of Buildings" (PDF). Wichita Public Schools. Retrieved 2018-11-03.
- "Contact". Fox Kansas. Retrieved 2018-11-03.
- "Contact Us". KSGL. Retrieved 2018-12-06.
- "West Douglas Park". City of Wichita, Kansas. Retrieved 2018-11-03.
- "Bus System Map" (PDF). Wichita Transit. Retrieved 2018-11-03.
- "City of Wichita [Map]" (PDF). Kansas Department of Transportation. June 2010. Retrieved 2018-11-03.