|Neighbourhood of George Town|
|District||Northeast Penang Island|
|• Local government||Penang Island City Council|
|• Mayor of Penang Island||Yew Tung Seang|
|• Batu Uban State Assemblyman||Kumaresan Aramugam (PKR)|
|• Bayan Baru Member of Parliament||Sim Tze Tzin (PKR)|
|Time zone||MST (UTC+8)|
|• Summer (DST)||Not observed (UTC)|
Sungai Dua is a residential neighbourhood within the city of George Town in Penang, Malaysia. Located 8.7 km (5.4 mi) south of the city centre, this neighbourhood borders Universiti Sains Malaysia to the north, Sungai Nibong to the east and Bukit Jambul to the west.
Sungai Dua is named after an eponymous river, Sungai Dua, which runs through the area.
Formerly an agricultural area, Sungai Dua was first developed as a residential nighbourhood in the 1970s, following the establishment of the adjacent Universiti Sains Malaysia. Beginning in the 1980s, high-rises, such as apartments and flats, were constructed within the neighbourhood to cater to the influx of university students.
Jalan Sungai Dua is the main thoroughfare within the neighbourhood, which is also served by Rapid Penang bus routes 301, 303 and 304. Aside from these routes, Rapid Penang launched a free-of-charge transit service in 2018, known as the Congestion Alleviation Transport (CAT), within Sungai Dua.
Universiti Sains Malaysia (USM), Penang's premier public university, is situated immediately north of Sungai Dua. One of the top Malaysian public universities, USM was ranked fifth within the country by the QS World University Rankings as of 2016[update].
- SRJK (C) Keong Hoe
A Tesco Extra hypermarket within the neighbourhood was completed in the late 2000s to cater to the retail needs of the community. In addition, Suiwah Corporation, a local retail firm, operates the Sunshine Lip Sin supermarket within the area.
- "Review for Sungai Dua, Penang". PropSocial. Retrieved 2018-01-21.
- "Sungai Dua (Island) Local Property & Real Estate Trends, News & Guides | PropertyGuru Malaysia". www.propertyguru.com.my. Retrieved 2018-01-21.
- The Star Online (2018-02-14), Penang announces RM15m free bus service, retrieved 2018-04-01
- "QS World University Rankings 2016". Top Universities. 2016-08-25. Retrieved 2017-05-19.
- "SJK(C) KEONG HOE - PULAU PINANG - Carian Sekolah Malaysia". www.sekolahmy.com (in Malay). Retrieved 2018-01-21.
- "Suiwah". www.suiwah.com.my. Retrieved 2018-01-21.