|Born||10 May 1978|
|Origin||Guntur, Andhra Pradesh, India|
Sunitha Upadrasta (born 10 May 1978) is a playback singer, anchor, host, dubbing artist & actress in the Telugu film industry, also known as Tollywood. She has received a National Award from All India Radio under light music category, two Film fare Awards for Best Female Playback Singer one each for Telugu and Kannada, 9 Nandi Awards. She was also honored with Lata Mangeshkar Best Singer Award for 2011 by the Government of Andhra Pradesh.
Sunitha's singing career began in the year 1995 with the movie Gulabi. She is also known as a anchor and host for music based programs and flagship programs, one among them was anchoring the historical Amaravati foundation-laying ceremony in the year 2015. Sunitha is also associated as a judge to musical reality shows in various channels. Her contributions as a voice-over artist giving voice to over 110 actresses in more 750 films.
- 1 Early life
- 2 Career
- 3 Awards
- 4 Performances
- 5 References
- 6 External links
Sunitha was born on May 10, 1978 in Vijayawada & was raised in Guntur, Andhra Pradesh into a music loving family. Her parents Upadrasta Narasimha Rao and Sumathi (Maiden Name Malladi) are well known to music lovers at Vijayawada and Guntur.
Sunitha at the age of 6, got training in music from Pemaraju Surya Rao in Carnatic Vocal and Light music from Kalaga Krishna Mohan. At a very early age, she got many opportunities to participate and perform in several concerts, including well known programs featured by All India Radio. At the age of 13, she also participated in Tyagaraja Aradhana utsavalu along with her guru Pemmaraju Surya Rao. She received numerous awards and appreciations in various competitions for her performances as a child prodigy, one of the special mentions is her scholarship from Central Government to pursue her musical trainings.
She got married at the age of 19 to Kiran Kumar Goparaju who works in the media and they later got divorced. The couple has two children, A boy and a girl - Aakash Goparaju and Shreya Goparaju. Shreya sang her debut song, "Tick... Tick... Tick..." in Telugu movie Savyasachi.
She has begun her singing career as a playback singer in films at an age of 17. Sasi Preetham, a music director first gave her a chance to sing in her debut film Gulabi and her debut song is "Ee Vela Lo Neevu" written by Sirivennela Sitaramasastri. She sang single card for the National Film Award movie in Kannada Bhoomi Geetha in 1997, music composed by Ilaiyaraaja. Apart from that she also sang Telugu TV serial title songs such as Ruturagalu & Antarangalu. She received her first Nandi Award from the state of Andhra Pradesh for singing title song of Antharangalu in 1999.
She has worked under the supervision of music directors like Ilayaraja, Vidya Sagar, M.M. Keeravani, A.R Rahman, S.V. Krishna Reddy, Koti, Raj, Vandematharam Srinivas, Mani Sharma, Ramana Gogula, S.A. Raj Kumar, Sandeep Choutha, Micky-J-Mayer, Devisri Prasad, R.P. Patnaik, Chakri, Nihal, Kalyani Malik, Anup, Sunil Kashyap, Saluri Vasu Rao, Madhavapeddi Suresh, Saketha Sairam, Bunty, V. Harikrishna, Jassie Gift, S. Thaman etc. She rendered nearly 13000 songs in many south Indian films. She has sung in Telugu, Tamil and Kannada.
Selective Telugu songs
|1995||Gulabi||"Ee Velalo Neevu"||Sashi Preetam|
|1997||Egire Paavurama||"Maagha Maasam"||S.V. Krishna Reddy|
|1998||Sri Sita Ramula Kalyanam Chootamu Raarandi||"Nee Oohallo"||M.M. Keeravani|
|"O Prema"||S. P. Balasubrahmanyam|
|1999||Thammudu||"Pedhavi Datani"||Ramana Gogula||Ramana Gogula|
|2000||Badri||"Vevela Mainala Gaanam"||Ramana Gogula|
|Tirumala Tirupathi Venkatesha||"Abbo Naa Bangaru Laddu"||Vandemataram Srinivas||Sukhwinder Singh, Swarnalatha|
|2001||Murari||"Alanati Ramachandruni"||Mani Sharma||Jikki, Sandhya|
|Naa Manasistha Raa||"Punnami Jabilli"||S.A. Rajukumar||SP. Balu|
|"Twinkle Twinkle Twinkle"|
|2002||Aadi||"Nee Navvula"||Mani Sharma||Mallikarjun|
|2003||Nenu Pelliki Ready||"Nuvvunte Chalu"(Female)||Chakri|
|Ela Cheppanu||"Meghala Pallakilona"||Koti|
|Ee Abbai Chala Manchodu||"Chandamama Kathalo"||M.M. Keeravani||Kalyani Malik|
|Gangotri||"Ganga"||M.M. Keeravani||SPB. Charan|
|Maa Alludu Very Good||"Paluke Bangaramayena"||M.M. Keeravani|
|"Padaka Padaka"||MM Keeravani|
|Simhadri||"Nannedo Seyyamaku"||M.M. Keeravani||M.M. Keeravani|
|2004||Siva Puthrudu||"Chirugali Veechene"(Duet)||Ilayaraja||R.P. Patnaik|
|Letha Manasulu||"Letha Manasulu"||M.M. Keeravani|
|Nenunnanu||"Nenunnanani"||M.M. Keeravani||M.M. Keeravani|
|Pallakilo Pellikuthuru||"Naa Peru Cheppukondi"||M.M. Keeravani|
|Athade Oka Sainyam||"Naa Paata Teta Telugu"||S.V. Krishna Reddy|
|"Maa Intiki Ninnu Pilichi"|
|Swarabhishekam||"Kudikannu Adirene"||Vidya Sagar||SP. Balu|
|2005||Chatrapathi||"Gundusudi"||M.M. Keeravani||M.M. Keeravani|
|Allari Bullodu||"Andhamante Evaridi"||M.M. Keeravani||SPB. Charan|
|Athadu||"Avunu Nijam"||Mani Sharma|
|Radha Gopalam||"Maa Muddu Radhamma"||Mani Sharma|
|"Nee Vaalu Jada"|
|That Is Pandu||"Vennelona Adapillanu"||Mani Sharma|
|Manasu Maata Vinadhu||"Nuvvu Nijam"||Kalyan Koduri|
|2006||Shiva 2006||"Adaganidhe Cheppedi Yela"||Ilayaraja||Vijay Prakash|
|Godavari||"Andhanga Lena"||K.M. RadhaKrishnan|
|Sri Ramadasu||"Chalu Chalu'||M.M. Keeravani|
|"Idigidigo Naa Ramudu"|
|Boss||"Yedho Thamasaga"||Kalyan Koduri|
|"Naa Kallu Valle"|
|Chinnodu||"Hey Manasa"||Ramana Gogula||Venu|
|Lakshmi||"Thara Thaluku Thara"||Ramana Gogula|
|2007||Sangamam||"Chinuku Chinuku'||M.M. Keeravani|
|Yamadonga||"Noonugu Meesalodu"||M.M. Keeravani||M.M. Keeravani|
|Gita||"Neekosam Nennunantu"||Sunil Kashyap|
|Yogi||"Nee Illu Bangaram"||Ramana Gogula||Ramana Gogula|
|Viyyalavari Kayyalu||"Neelala Neekallu"||Ramana Gogula||Sri Krishna|
|2008||Pandurangadu||"Govindhude Kokachutti"||M.M. Keeravani|
|Kanthri||"Vayassunami"||Mani Sharma||Hema Chandra|
|Rainbow||"Aasha Chinni Aasha"||Nihal|
|2009||Nachav Alludu||"Enthentha Dhooram"||Koti||Hema Chandra|
|Vengamamba||"Alaka Nabambhu Chalada"||M.M. Keeravani|
|"O Thalli Ganga"|
|Boni||"Nammaleni Kale Nijamayena"||Ramana Gogula||Deepu|
|2010||Jhummandi Naadam||"Entha Entha"||M.M. Keeravani|
|Vedam||"Egiripothe Entha Baguntundi"||M.M. Keeravani||M.M. Keeravani|
|Subhapradam||"Nee Navve Kadadaka"||Mani Sharma||Karthik|
|2012||Damarukam||"Kanya Kumari"||Devisri Prasad||Jaspreet Jasz|
|Shirdi Sai||"Saranu Saranu"||M.M. Keeravani|
|"Sai Ante Thalli'|
|2013||Anthaka Mundu Aa Tarvatha||"Thamari Thone"||Kalyani Koduri|
|"Nenea Aa Nenena"|
|Intinta Annamayya||"Venkatadri Samam"||M.M. Keeravani|
|2014||Lakshmi Raave Maa Intiki||"Aa Venneladaina"||K.M. RadhaKrishnan|
|"Venu Gaana Lolude"|
|Oohalu Gusagusalade||"Em Sandeham Ledu"||Kalyani Koduri||Kalyani Koduri|
|Anamika||"Kshanam Kshanam"||M.M. Keeravani|
|"Dead & Live"|
|Ice Cream 2||"Kiss Me"||Satya Kashyap|
|2015||Mariyaan||"Inka Konchem Sepu"||A.R. Rahman||Vijay Prakash|
|Yes||"Ee Vela Madilona"||Indraganti Laxmi srinivas|
|2016||Kalyana Vaibhogame||"Chakkandaala Chukka"||Kalyani Koduri||Kalyani Koduri|
|Manalo Okadu||"Madhuram"||R.P. Patnaik|
|Raagam||"Yeenadu Neepai Jaali Padadhe"||Sunil Kashyap||Sunil Kashyap|
|2017||Malli Raava||"Malli Raava"(Reprise)||Shravan Bharadwaj|
|2018||Srinivasa Kalyanam||"Modalaudaam"||Mickey J Meyer||Anurag Kulkarni|
|"Vinavamma Toorupu Chukka"|
|Mahanati||"Chivaraku Migiledi"||Mickey J Meyer|
|Bluff Master||"Ye Maayo Yemo Teliyade"||Sunil Kashyap|
|2019||NTR Mahanayakudu||"Ramanna Katha"||M.M. Keeravani||KS Chitra|
|Pranavam||"Edo Edo Kaavalantu"||Padmanav Bharadwaj|
Selective Kannada songs
|1997||Bhoomi geetha||Kesari Haravu||Boodyaviya habba habba
Are kamali kamali
|Ilayaraaja||Ilayaraaja, Nepolean, SPB. Charan|
|2007||Savi Savi Nenapu||Santosh Rai Pathaje||Sooryanu ee divasa||R.P. Patnaik||Rajesh|
|2009||Abhay||Mahesh Babu||Baanu Kempadante||V. Hari Krishna|
|2010||Cheluveye Ninne Nodalu||D.P. Raghuram||Janumada Jodi
|V. Hari Krishna||Sonu Nigam|
|2010||Modalasala||Purushottham C||Prathama olava kavana||V. Hari Krishna||Srinivas|
|2011||Hudugaru||K Madesh||Neerinalli Sanna Ale||V. Hari Krishna||Sonu Nigam|
|2012||Drama||Yogaraj Bhat||Hambalada hoovanu||V. Hari Krishna|
|2012||Katari Veera Surasundarangi||Suresh Krishna||Jum Jumka
|V. Hari Krishna||Sonu Nigam, Upendra|
|2012||Ko ko||R. Chandru||Mellane
|Ramana Gogula||Karthik, Ramana Gogula|
|2012||Kiladi Kitty||Anantha Raju||Thumba thumba||Jassie Gift||Sonu Nigam|
|2014||Agraja||Srinandan||Rara priyachora||Nandhan Raj|
|2014||Rose||Sahana Murthy H. S.||Preethige Rose Andaru||Anoop Seelin||Nakul Abhyankar|
|2016||Santhu Straight Forward||Mahesh Rao||Koodi itta||V. Hari Krishna||Sonu Nigam|
Selective Tamil songs
|1997||Punniyavathi||Subburaj||Unakkoruthi||Ilayaraaja||SPB, SP Charan, Ilayaraja|
|2000||Kadhal Rojave||Kothanda Ramaiah||Ninaitha varam||Ilayaraja||Unnikrishnan|
|2001||Badri||P A Arun Prasad||Kadhal Solvadhu||Ramana Gogula||Srinivas|
Selective TV film title songs
Sunitha sang Television film title songs for various serials and she also lent her voice as a dubbing artist for the TV film series Andam.
|Maunaraagam||"Ningi Taakutunnade Neeloni Dhairyam"|
|Antahpuram||"Antahpuram.. Silaleni Kovelamundu"|
|Koyilamma||"Anaganagaa Oka Thotalona"|
|Varudhini Parinayam||"Chandamaama Ni Sarijodu"|
Sunitha was part of numerous private album recordings. Meera padavali and Aanota - Manasu palike vela are her two most known works composed by her Guru Kalaga Krishna Mohan. She also featured in the private album Sri Ramachandra Krupalu, a bhajan by Tulsi Das and produced by Sunithanmusic.com.
Chandrashekara Ashtakam also takes a special mention for which music is composed by Sai Madhukar.
Few other private albums to mention are Raghuram, Sai Sudha, Sri Venkateswara Thatwanidhi, Sri Vallabha Bhakthi Geethalu, Sai Darshanam, Sri Chidvilasam, Amma durgamma, Pahimaam, Sri Rama Charanam, Govinda Ganamrutham, Saye Dhaivam, Bathuku Paata.
Sunitha started her dubbing artist with the movie Choodalani Vundi in the year 1998 starring Chiranjeevi and Soundarya, in which she gave her voice to Soundarya. She also holds a record of giving her voice for 60 movies in a single year. Gautamiputra Satakarni is her 750th movie as a dubbing artist in which she gave her voice to Shriya Saran. Sunitha has given voice for more than 750 films for various artists like Soundarya, Sonali Bendre, Meera Jasmine, Jyothika, Bhoomika, Anushka Shetty, Nayantara, Charmi, Raasi, Laila, Sneha, Kamalinee Mukherjee, Trisha, Genelia, Shriya, Tamannaah, Richa Gangopadhyay.
Sunitha anchored, hosted and performed as a singer in many music-based programs and live shows in most of the reputed Telugu television channels.
Single episode live show
|Singer||The first ever musical live show organised by DD|
|1996||Gemini||Navaragam||Anchor||Music competition show where most of the Telugu singers were introduced|
|1996||Gemini||Yours lovingly||Anchor||Birthday wishes show|
|2008||ETV||Saptaswaraalu||Anchor||Singers competition that introduced most of the Telugu singers|
|Vanita TV||Antakshari||Anchor||Musical competition between participants|
|Zee Telugu||Saregamapa Lil Champs||Anchor||Music competition for kids|
|ETV||Jhummandi Naadam||Host & singer||Musical interview show with live bands|
|2014 till date||ETV||Swarabhishekam||Singer &
anchor in few US, UK shows
|Musical show singing old songs in different categories|
|MAA TV||Super Singer
Seasons 4 to 7
|Mentor & judge
Season 7 title winner
|Music competition show between the Telugu singers|
|2014 to 2019||SVBC||Annamayya paataku Pattabhishekam||Anchor & singer||A culturally unique show where more than 1000 Annamayya keerthana's were brought to lime light in collaboration with Tirumala Tirupathi Devasthanam & movie director K Raghavendra Rao & music composer MM Keeravani|
Sunitha Upadrasta's contributions towards devotional singing takes its uniqueness in offering Carnatic music based bhajans, kirtans and songs with expression. She sang in Annamayya Paataku Pattabhishekam, Vengamaamba Keerthanalu, Naada Neerajanam, Tirumala Brahmotsavam, Thyaagaraaja Utsavaalu.
- List of short films
|2016||Raagam||Telugu||Sree Chaitu||Lead||Sai Kiran, Sameer, Sana|
|2018||Thadasthu||Telugu||R.P. Patnaik||Special appearance||Suma Kanakala, Ravivarma, Baby Vaishnavi,
Jagadeeswari, Sowmya, Harika Mahesh,
Gemini Suresh, Baby Krithika,
Anandh Pawan, Suresh
- National Award from All India Radio under light music category in 1994 at the age of 16 years.
- Nandi Award for Best Female Playback Singer for TV film Antha Rangaalu (1999)
- Nandi Award for Best Female Dubbing Artist for the movie Jayam (2002)
- Nandi Award for Best Female Playback Singer for the Movie Athade Oka Sainyam (2003)
- Nandi Award for Best Female Dubbing Artist for the movie Anand (voice of the Kamalinee Mukherjee) (2004)
- Nandi Award for Best Female Dubbing Artist for the movie Pothe Poni (2005)
- Nandi Award for Best Female Playback Singer for the movie Godavari (2006)
- Nandi Award for Best Female Playback Singer for TV film Anthahpuram (2010)
- Nandi Award for a TV film called Mamathala Kovela (2011)
- Nandi Award for Best Female Dubbing Artist for the movie Sri Rama Rajyam (voice of the Nayantara) (2012)
- Filmfare Award for Best Female Playback Singer - Kannada (2010) for the movie Cheluveye Ninne Nodalu for the song "O Priyathama"
- Filmfare Award for Best Female Playback Singer - Telugu (2014) for the movie Oohalu Gusagusalade for the song "Em Sandehamledu"
- Nominated—Filmfare Award for Best Female Playback Singer – Telugu (2009) for the movie Pravarakhyudu for the song "Neela Neela Mabbulu"
- Nominated—Filmfare Award for Best Female Playback Singer – Telugu (2010) for the movie Vedam for the song "Egiripothe"
- Nominated—Filmfare Award for Best Female Playback Singer – Telugu (2011) for the movie Leader for the song "Hey CM"
- Nominated—Filmfare Award for Best Female Playback Singer – Kannada (2010) for the movie Modalasala for the song "Prathama"
- Vamsi Berkeley Award as Best female playback singer in year 1999.
- Vaartha Vasavi Award as a best playback singer (2000)
- Bharata Muni Award (2000)
- Cine Goers Award for Best Dubbing (2002)
- Dasari Award as a best playback singer (2003)
- Best Playback Singer award from European Telugu Association, London (2003)
- Kalavedika Art Award as an All-rounder for excellent performance as a Singer, Anchor and Movie dubbing artist (2003)
- Sangam P Susheela Youth Award honoured with Gold Medal (2004)
- Sangam P Susheelawa Youth Award for year 2004 honoured with Gold Medal.
- Vamsi Berkeley Award as Best female playback singer in year 2005
- Kala Sudha Award in 2006 (Ugadi Puraskar)
- 'Best female play back singer of tollywood 2010' award for the song "Hrudaya Vedana" from the film "Aa Intlo" music scored by sri Koti. This award was given by "Radio Mirchi" in a grand function held at Chennai on Saturday 17 July 2010.
- TV Award 2009 for Best Female Playback Singer presented by Delhi Telugu Academy in Hyderabad on 8 August 2010.
- Big FM Best Singer Award for 'Egiripothe' song from Vedam Movie in 2010.
- Big FM Kannada Award for Big Most Entertaining Singer.
- TSR – TV9 Award for Best playback singer – female (2010) was presented on 10 April 2011 in Hyderabad.
- Ghantasala Melody Queen Award in 2011
- Lata Mangeshkar Best Singer Award for 2011 was presented by the State Government at 2nd Lata Mangeshkar Music Awards – 2011 function on 28 September 2011 at Ravindra Bharathi, Hyderabad.
- Maa Tea Award for Mamathala Kovela in 2012
- T. Subbaram Reddy Lalitha Sangeeta Puraskar in 2013
- Sangeet Samman 2013 (Kannada film)
- Best play back singer award for the song “Em Sandeham ledu” by Radio Mirchi music awards in 2014
- Singer of the decade award in the year 2016 by Zee Apsara Awards
- Prestigious Indywood Academy award as best playback singer for the song "Chivaraku migiledhi" from the epic biopic Mahanati in 2018
- She gave her first programme in Light Music on AIR in the year 1995 at the age of 17.
- She has given about 500 programmes so far on AIR, Doordarshan, ETV, Gemini TV, and MAA TV
- She has also given programmes abroad, at Kuwait, Dubai, Malaysia, Singapore, London, US, Philippines, Kenya, Japan etc.
- In the year 2009, she has done her own shows titled 'Musical Moments With Sunitha' in the USA
- She got many awards for her dubbing. Recently She led the team that won the title of Super Singers 7.
- She has performed at the Tirumala Brahmotsavalu.
- During the time of 50 years of Independence, she has sung Vande Mataram along with S.P.Balasubrahmanyam at the Congress Plenary Meet. She has hosted 50 years celebrations in the Assembly.
- She participated in groundbreaking ceremony for Amaravathi, new capital of Andhra Pradesh.
- She has participated in the Govt. celebrations 200 years of Secunderabad
- She participated in ETV 20 Years award function and celebration at various cities. Performance videos are available at YouTube
Sunitha has given live performances in over 19 countries. She was invited by various organisations and associations like Telugu Association of North America (TANA), Bay Area Telugu association (BATA), European Telugu Association (ETA) and the American Telugu Association (ATA) and in 2018 by the Tennessee Telugu Samithi (TTS) for their Ugadi annual celebrations in Nashville, Tennessee.
- Oct 2, MRIDULA CHUNDURI | TNN | Updated:; 2005; Ist, 2:21. "Sunitha, the heroine of voice | Hyderabad News - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 22 May 2019.CS1 maint: extra punctuation (link)
- Rangarajan, A. D. (30 December 2014). "Sunitha, a bridge between two generations of singers". The Hindu. ISSN 0971-751X. Retrieved 22 May 2019.
- "I feel my face isn't as expressive as my voice: Sunitha - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 22 May 2019.
- Telugu360 (9 October 2016). "Singer Sunitha shines well in acting too!". Telugu360.com. Retrieved 22 May 2019.
- "Singer Sunitha Raagam Telugu Short Film Wins Million Hearts !! Beautiful »". News Mahal. 8 October 2016. Retrieved 22 May 2019.
- "Telugu Cinema Etc – Nandi award winners list 2005". Idlebrain.com. 11 November 2006. Retrieved 11 August 2012.
- Hooli, Shekhar H. (27 June 2015). "62nd Filmfare Awards South 2015 - Manam Tops Telugu Winners List: Allu Arjun, Shruti Haasan Bag Best Actor [PHOTOS]". International Business Times, India Edition. Retrieved 22 May 2019.
- "Delhi Telugu Academy awards presented". The Hindu. Chennai, India. 9 August 2010.
- "New members take oath in Rajya Sabha | Rehman Khan | Chiranjeevi". Andhrawishesh.com. 24 April 2012. Retrieved 11 August 2012.