Sunk Island is a Crown Estate village and civil parish in the East Riding of Yorkshire, England. It lies 3 1⁄2 miles (6 km) south of Ottringham and 1 mile (1.6 km) to the north of the Humber Estuary. The Greenwich Meridian passes through the east of the parish.
Sunk Island originated as a sand bank in the Humber Estuary; at first it was open sea, then sand accumulated there until visible at low tides, then at all tides. Colonel Gilby made the outer banks, empoldering it and making it useful for pasturage, under lease/gift from the crown.
By the reign of Charles I of England, it was said to form a 7-acre (3 ha) island, 1 1⁄2 miles (2.4 km) from the mainland. From 1663, the land around it was gradually drained, and by the mid-18th century, the channel separating it from the shore had entirely silted up. It was parished in 1831. The island has an area of 11,305 acres.
- UK Census (2011). "Local Area Report – Sunk Island Parish (1170211269)". Nomis. Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 26 February 2018.
- "Sunk Island, Greenwich Meridian Marker". The Greenwich Meridian. Retrieved 18 July 2010.
- UK Census (2001). "Local Area Report – Sunk Island Parish (1543504310)". Nomis. Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 12 February 2019.
- Philosophical Transactions, vol 30, p. 1015
- GENUKI. "SUNK ISLAND: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1892". Retrieved 3 August 2007.
- "£450,000 invested in Sunk Island flood protection scheme". The Crown Estate. Retrieved 18 May 2018.
- "Sunk Island Battery and Stone Creek Anti-Aircraft Battery - Yorkshire - Castles, Forts and Battles". www.castlesfortsbattles.co.uk. Retrieved 18 May 2018.
- Pevsner, Nikolaus; Neave, David (2002) . Yorkshire: York and the East Riding: The Buildings of England (2nd ed.). Yale University Press. ISBN 0-300-09593-7.
- Historic England. "Church of the Holy Trinity (1161190)". National Heritage List for England. Retrieved 7 February 2013.
- Gazetteer — A–Z of Towns Villages and Hamlets. East Riding of Yorkshire Council. 2006. p. 10.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sunk Island.|