Sunny Days, Starry Nights
|Sunny Days, Starry Nights|
|Studio album by Sonny Rollins|
|Recorded||January 23–27, 1984|
|Sonny Rollins chronology|
Sunny Days, Starry Nights is an album by jazz saxophonist Sonny Rollins, released on the Milestone label in 1984, featuring performances by Rollins with Clifton Anderson, Mark Soskin, Russell Blake and Tommy Campbell.
|Robert Christgau||(A) |
|The Rolling Stone Album Guide|||
|The Rolling Stone Jazz Record Guide|||
The Allmusic review by Scott Yanow states: "Sunny Days, Starry Nights as usual finds the great tenor at his best on the two ballads ('I'm Old Fashioned' and Noel Coward's 'I'll See You Again') while the other four originals have been largely forgotten." Music critic Robert Christgau called the album "His most accessible and uncompromised album in more than a decade is soaked in the swinging pan-Caribbean 'calypso' that's been his special pleasure since the '50s..."
- All compositions by Sonny Rollins except as indicated
- "Mava Mava" - 4:34
- "I'm Old Fashioned" (Jerome Kern, Johnny Mercer) - 6:28
- "Wynton" - 8:20
- "Tell Me You Love Me" - 6:16
- "I'll See You Again" (Noël Coward) - 6:21
- "Kilauea" - 6:59
- Sonny Rollins: tenor saxophone
- Clifton Anderson: trombone
- Mark Soskin: piano, electric piano, celesta, synthesizer
- Russell Blake: electric bass
- Tommy Campbell: drums
- Lucille Rollins: cowbell (tracks 1 & 6)
- Sonny Rollins discography, accessed September 25, 2009.
- Yanow, Scott. "Sunny Days, Starry Nights > Review". Allmusic. Retrieved June 26, 2011.
- Christgau, Robert. "Sunny Days, Starry Nights > Review". Robert Christgau. Retrieved June 26, 2011.
- The Rolling Stone Album Guide
- Swenson, J. (Editor) (1985). The Rolling Stone Jazz Record Guide. USA: Random House/Rolling Stone. p. 172. ISBN 0-394-72643-X.