October 20, 1968
New York City, U.S.
|Education||Binghamton University (BA)|
University of Notre Dame (JD)
|American Morning legal analyst (2007–2011)|
The View co-host (2016–present)
Asunción Cummings "Sunny" Hostin (//; born October 20, 1968) is an American lawyer, journalist, and television host. Hostin is co-host on ABC's morning talk show The View as well as the Senior Legal Correspondent and Analyst for ABC News. She is also the host and executive producer of Investigation Discovery's true crime series Truth About Murder with Sunny Hostin.
Hostin was born on October 20, 1968 in New York City to a Puerto Rican mother, Rosa Beza, and an African American father, William Cummings. Hostin was raised in The Bronx, New York City, attended the all-girls Dominican Academy, and is bilingual in English and Spanish. She received her Bachelor of Arts in English and Rhetoric from Binghamton University and her Juris Doctor from Notre Dame Law School.
Hostin began her career as a law clerk to retired Chief Judge of the Maryland Court of Appeals Robert M. Bell and later became a trial attorney in the U.S. Department of Justice's Antitrust Division. Hostin left the Antitrust Division to become a federal prosecutor, specializing in child sex crimes. Hostin was awarded a Special Achievement Award for her successful prosecution of sex offenders. Hostin was also a Managing Director of Business Intelligence and Investigations at Kroll, the world’s leading risk-consulting company, where she led groups of investigators all over the world to investigate and uncover fraud.
She began her television career as a commentator for Court TV and was then offered a spot on the Fox News program The O'Reilly Factor, where she appeared on the show's "Is It Legal?" segments, regularly debating with Bill O'Reilly and Megyn Kelly. CNN President Jon Klein signed her to the network in September 2007 as the legal analyst for its flagship morning show American Morning. In 2014, Hostin began frequently appearing as a guest contributor on the ABC daytime talk show The View. Also in 2014, she appeared as a contestant on the Mother’s Day edition of Food Network’s Chopped. She was eliminated in the final round, but returned the next year for the Amateurs Redemption episode, which she also did not win. In 2015, Hostin participated in a TEDx Talk titled A Possibility Model that details the effects of an early trauma. In March 2016, it was announced that Hostin was joining ABC News as Senior Legal Correspondent and analyst. She became a permanent co-host of The View beginning the show's twentieth season in September 2016. In 2017, Hostin made a cameo appearance as herself in the comedy film Girls Trip.
In 2019, Hostin hosted and executive produced the six-episode documentary series Truth About Murder With Sunny Hostin on Investigation Discovery, on which she travels to various parts of the US to explore the stories behind some of the nation’s most notorious homicides. She also hosted a podcast titled Have You Seen This Man?, produced by ABC. Hostin released I Am These Truths, a memoir, in 2020. The following year, she released a novel, titled Summer on the Bluffs. The book will be adapted into a television series. Hostin is also set to executive produce The Counsel, a drama television series inspired by her life and career.
Hostin is a member of Alpha Kappa Alpha sorority. She is married to orthopedic surgeon Emmanuel Hostin. They have two children, Gabriel and Paloma. The family resides in Purchase, New York.
Awards and nominations
|2017||Daytime Emmy Award||Outstanding Entertainment Talk Show Host
(shared with Joy Behar, Jedediah Bila, Candace Cameron Bure, Paula Faris, Whoopi Goldberg, Sara Haines, and Raven-Symoné)
|2018||Outstanding Entertainment Talk Show Host
(shared with Joy Behar, Jedediah Bila, Paula Faris, Whoopi Goldberg, Sara Haines, and Meghan McCain)
|2019||Outstanding Entertainment Talk Show Host
(shared with Joy Behar, Whoopi Goldberg, Sara Haines, Abby Huntsman, and Meghan McCain)
|2020||Outstanding Informative Talk Show Host
(shared with Joy Behar, Whoopi Goldberg, Abby Huntsman, Meghan McCain, and Ana Navarro)
- The View (May 24, 2016). "Paula Faris Says Kris Jenner Has An "Ulterior Motive" In Plan To Change Name Back To "Kardashian"". Archived from the original on April 27, 2020. Retrieved October 27, 2016 – via YouTube.
- "Celebrity birthdays for the week of Oct. 20-26". The Associated Press. October 14, 2019. Retrieved March 8, 2020.
- Pulia, Shalayne (September 21, 2018). "The View's Sunny Hostin Wants You to Start Believing Women". InStyle. Retrieved March 8, 2020.
- Yarnell, Laurie (September 24, 2018). "The View's Sunny Hostin Talks Life On and Off the Camera". Westchester Magazine. Retrieved March 8, 2020.
- "Sunny Hostin '90 and Following Your Dreams". Binghamton University. Retrieved April 12, 2018.
- McKeegan, Colleen Leahey (May 20, 2019). "Sunny Hostin Shares the Shocking Reason She Ended Up On TV". Marie Claire.
- Yarnell, Laurie. "The View's Sunny Hostin Talks Life On and Off the Camera". Westchester Magazine. Retrieved November 25, 2019.
- Real, Evan (October 18, 2019). "Sunny Hostin on Taking a Different Approach to True Crime With 'Truth About Murder'". The Hollywood Reporter.
- "Sunny Hostin of ABC News and "The View"". April 11, 2016. Retrieved August 16, 2017.
- "About Sunny".
- Fung, Katherine (July 28, 2014). "Whoopi Goldberg Goes On A Righteous Rant About Weed". HuffPost. Retrieved August 16, 2017.
- "Sunny Hostin Joins ABC News".
- "TEDxBinghamtonUniversity | TED".
- "Sunny Hostin Joins ABC News as Senior Legal Correspondent & Analyst". ABC News. February 24, 2016. Retrieved August 16, 2017.
- "'The View' Co-Hosts, Co-Executive Producer Talk Staffing Rumors, Lessons Learned". Retrieved August 16, 2017.
- "'Girls Trip' Crosses $100 Million at Domestic Box Office". Variety. August 18, 2017.
- "Truth About Murder with Sunny Hostin | Watch Full Episodes & More!". Investigation Discovery. Retrieved December 17, 2019.
- "Sunny Hostin Will Host 'The Whole Truth' on Investigation Discovery (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. April 9, 2019.
- Minutaglio, Rose (October 23, 2019). "A New ABC Podcast is Trying to Find Escaped Murderer Lester Eubanks". Elle.
- Mosk, Matthew; Hosenball, Alex; Galli, Cindy; Jung, Jinsol; Liu, Suzie (November 20, 2019). "'Have You Seen This Man': 'Gone too soon'". ABC News.
- Perez, Lexy (September 22, 2020). "Sunny Hostin on "Taking a Risk" in New Memoir to Champion People of Color". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved September 22, 2020.
- Mizoguchi, Karen (May 4, 2021). "Sunny Hostin's Summer on the Bluffs a 'Love Letter to Black, Latina Women'". People. Retrieved May 5, 2021.
- Zorrilla, Mónica Marie (May 4, 2021). "'The View' Co-Host Sunny Hostin Launches Inclusive Production Company Focused on Social Justice (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. Retrieved May 5, 2021.
- Petski, Denise (October 28, 2020). "Fox Nabs 'The Counsel' Drama From Sunny Hostin & Scott Free With Penalty". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved November 1, 2020.
- Christian, Tanya A. (January 21, 2020). "Sunny Hostin Turned Childhood Trauma Into Triumph". Essence. Retrieved September 21, 2020.
- Calderone, Ana (April 11, 2018). "The View's Sunny Hostin Gives a Tour of Her Historic Mansion Previously Owned by the Lehman Family". People. Retrieved September 21, 2020.
- Henderson, Cydney (June 21, 2019). "'View' co-host Sunny Hostin slams Bethenny Frankel for accusing her of 'taking some drugs'". USA Today. Retrieved September 21, 2020.
- Evans, Greg (March 22, 2017). "2017 Daytime Emmy Nominations: CBS Leads Networks With 70 Noms, 'Young & Restless' Tops With 25". Retrieved March 24, 2017.
- Montgomery, Daniel (March 21, 2018). "2018 Daytime Emmy nominations: Full list of nominees for 45th Annual Daytime Emmy Awards". Retrieved March 22, 2018.
- "THE NATIONAL ACADEMY OF TELEVISION ARTS & SCIENCES ANNOUNCES NOMINATIONS FOR THE 46th ANNUAL DAYTIME EMMY® AWARDS" (PDF). March 20, 2019. Retrieved March 25, 2019.
- Nordyke, Kimberly; Howard, Annie (May 21, 2020). "Daytime Emmy Awards: 'General Hospital' Tops Nominations". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved May 22, 2020.