||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (July 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
October 20, 1968
New York City, New York, U.S.
|Education||Binghamton University, Notre Dame Law School|
|Notable credit(s)||American Morning legal analyst (2007–present)|
|Spouse(s)||Emmanuel Hostin (m. 1998)|
Asunción Cummings "Sunny" Hostin (born Asunción Cummings; October 20, 1968) is an American lawyer, columnist, social commentator, and multi-platform journalist. Hostin is the Senior Legal Correspondent and Analyst for ABC News as well as a co-host on ABC's morning talk show The View.
Hostin is a former assistant United States Attorney, as well as a legal expert and TV personality, who is often called upon for her analysis on various provocative issues and high-profile criminal cases in the news. She has served as a contributing legal analyst for CNN's weekday and weekend reporting as well as Headline News since September 2007. She previously worked for Fox News, where she was seen weekly on The O'Reilly Factor's "Is It Legal?" segment, providing legal analysis and debate on top criminal cases. From November 2011 to January 2012, Hostin filled in as co-anchor on ABC's World News Now. She also appears regularly as guest on TruTV's "In Session" daily trial Coverage.
Early life and education
Hostin was born to her Puerto Rican mother, Rosa Beza, and her African-American father, William Cummings. Hostin was raised in the Bronx, New York City, attended the all-girls Dominican Academy Dominican Academy, and speaks fluent Spanish. Hostin is a graduate of Binghamton University and Notre Dame Law School.
Hostin began her career as a law clerk to Robert M. Bell, now the retired Chief Judge of the Maryland Court of Appeals, Maryland's highest court. She went on to work as an associate at a law firm in Maryland and later became a trial attorney in the U.S. Department of Justice's Antitrust Division. Hostin left the Antitrust Division to become an Assistant United States Attorney in the District of Columbia. She specialized in child sex crimes and was awarded a Special Achievement Award for her successful prosecution of sex offenders.
She began her television career as a commentator for Court TV and was then offered a spot on the Fox News daily show, The OReilly Factor, where she appeared on "Is It Legal?" and regularly debated with Bill O'Reilly and Megyn Kelly. CNN President Jon Klein signed her to the network in September 2007 as the legal analyst for its flagship morning show, American Morning. Sunny now writes her own news column for CNN called "Sunny's Law", which includes articles, photos and videos about breaking legal issues. Also, she is an expert, legal analyst for Good Morning America (GMA) and a commentator on the View for ABC Network since 2014.
Hostin married orthopedic surgeon Emmanuel Hostin, in August 1998. She lives with her husband and their two children, Gabriel and Paloma, in Purchase, New York. She is a member of Alpha Kappa Alpha sorority.
Awards and nominations
|2017||Daytime Emmy Award||Outstanding Entertainment Talk Show Host
(shared with Joy Behar, Jedediah Bila, Candace Cameron Bure, Paula Faris, Whoopi Goldberg, Sara Haines, and Raven-Symoné)
- The View (24 May 2016). "Paula Faris Says Kris Jenner Has An "Ulterior Motive" In Plan To Change Name Back To "Kardashian"". Retrieved 27 October 2016 – via YouTube.
- "Sunny Hostin". Retrieved 3 March 2017.
- "Sunny Hostin". Retrieved 3 March 2017.
- "What Motivated CNN's Sunny Hostin to Become a Lawyer? Family of Four: Her Husband, Married Life and 2 Children". Retrieved 25 December 2016.
- "Breaking News: Everyone's Watching Sunny Hostin". Retrieved 3 March 2017.
- "Sunny Hostin opens up about falling in love and married life with husband Emmanuel Hostin". Retrieved 25 December 2016.
- "'The View's' Whoopi Goldberg and Sunny Hostin Debate Abortion Pro-Life vs. Pro-Choice Stances (Video)". Retrieved 3 March 2017.
- Evans, Greg (March 22, 2017). "2017 Daytime Emmy Nominations: CBS Leads Networks With 70 Noms, 'Young & Restless' Tops With 25". Retrieved March 24, 2017.
- Sunny Hostin at the Internet Movie Database
- CNN Anchor for American Morning
- Sunny's Law
- Outside Cable News
Candace Cameron Bure
|The View co-host (Seat #2)
(shared with Paula Faris)