Sunnybrook Park in the summer
|Area||147.1 acres (59.5 ha)|
|Created||1928 (City of Toronto) |
12 June 1969 (transferred to Metro Parks)
|Operated by||City of Toronto|
Sunnybrook Park is a large public park in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. It is located north of Leaside and south of the Bridle Path areas of the city. The park is home to many bike trails, dog parks, and Sunnybrook Stables.
Sunnybrook was once a 175 acre farm property with horse stables, known as Sunnybrook Farm, situated in the Town of Leaside. It was owned by Joseph and Alice Kilgour and turned over to the City of Toronto in 1928.
Kilgour was President of the Canada Paper Company and acquired the farm in 1890s.
In 1933 Kilgour Memorial Gates at Bayview Avenue and Blythwood Road (since demolished) as well as a plaque at Wilket Creek Park were added to commemorate the Kilgour family's legacy and presence in the area.
This section needs additional citations for verification. (May 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Sunnybrook Stables is a horseback riding facility that has been open to the public since 1978. The stables house roughly thirty horses, accompanied by two arenas: a 12,000 square-foot indoor arena built in 1982 for year-round practice, as well as an outdoor arena that also serves as a paddock. Just behind the indoor arena are three other paddocks, also used for the horses to roam when they're not in their stalls.
Sunnybrook hosted a first-class cricket fixture in 2004. The Canadian national cricket team used the ground for their ICC Intercontinental Cup match against Bermuda, which ended in a draw with Canada requiring only one further wicket to win.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sunnybrook Park.|
- Filey, Mike (3 May 2014). "Toronto has long been a city within a park". Toronto Sun. Retrieved 22 May 2018.
- "16 horses killed in Sunnybrook Stables fire | The Star". thestar.com. Retrieved 2018-05-24.
- "Coach 'beyond devastated' after fire at Toronto stable kills 16 horses". Global News. Retrieved 2018-05-22.
- "Fireworks may have caused deadly barn fire at Sunnybrook Stables | CBC News". CBC. Retrieved 2018-05-22.
- "Sunnybrook Park". Cricinfo. Retrieved 3 August 2009.
- "Canada v Bermuda in 2004". CricketArchive. Retrieved 3 August 2009.
- "ICC Trophy Matches played on Sunnybrook Park, Toronto". CricketArchive. Retrieved 3 August 2009.