Sunrise Mall (Brownsville, Texas)
|Location||Brownsville, Texas, USA|
|Address||2370 North Expressway|
|Owner||CBL & Associates|
|No. of stores and services||100+|
|No. of anchor tenants||5|
|Total retail floor area||739,996 square feet (68,747.9 m2) (GLA)|
|No. of floors||1 (2 in Dillard's)|
Sunrise Mall is an enclosed shopping mall in Brownsville, Texas, United States. It was opened in 1979, only five years after the town's other mall, Amigoland Mall. Sunrise Mall features more than 100 stores, including five anchor stores (Bealls, Dick's Sporting Goods, Dillard's, JCPenney, and Sears), as well as a food court and a Cinemark movie theater. The mall is managed by CBL & Associates.
Sunrise Mall opened in 1979 on the north side of Brownsville, on the northeastern corner of Interstate 69E/U.S. Route 77 and Ruben M. Torres, Sr. Blvd. A strip mall called Sunrise Commons later opened behind the mall as well. The mall remained largely unchanged until 1999, when Dillard's purchased the mall in association with the MG Herring Group, relocating its Kmart anchor store to the Sunrise Commons and opening a new Dillard's store in July 2000, where Kmart had been. As a result, the Dillard's in Amigoland Mall, an older mall nearby, was closed. JCPenney also moved from Amigoland Mall in 2000, and that mall was subsequently converted to a college in 2003.
Also in 2000, a food court was added to Sunrise Mall. Three years later, Dillard's sold its share of the mall (except for the Dillard's anchor) to CBL & Associates Properties. Linens 'n Things was also added in 2005, but closed in 2008 as part of the chain's bankruptcy.
The mall received an additional anchor store, Dick's Sporting Goods in 2015, along with renovations in floor tile, signs and restrooms. It added an H&M store in 2016, making it the first mall south of San Antonio to feature this store.
Bealls Dillard’s JCPenney Sears Charming Charlie Claire’s Sunglass Forum Sunglass Hut The Children’s Place Coqueta’s Boutique Crazy 8 GapKids Justice Aeropostale Express Gap Hot Topic PacSun Agaci Bebe Charlotte Russe Coqueta’s Bridal LOFT Motherhood Maternity New York & Company Victoria’s Secret Spencer’s Things Remembered
- Adolios Restaurant
- Auntie Anne's
- Marble Slab Creamery
- Nestle Toll House Cafe
- Sunrise Tortas
- Zocalo Express
- Foley's (sold to Macy's)
- "Sunrise Mall fact sheet". CBL & Associates Properties. Retrieved 2008-10-29.[dead link]
- "Brownsville Retail Market". Texas Real Estate Business. Retrieved 2008-10-29.
- Rocha, Jessica (2002-11-03). "Food Court Is Power That Turns Brownsville, Texas, Mall Engine.". The Brownsville Herald. Retrieved 2008-10-29.
- "CBL & Associates Properties Acquires Regional Mall and Associated Center in Brownsville, Texas". Business Wire. 2003-05-01. Retrieved 2008-10-29.
- "Dillard's, Inc. Sells Its Interest in Brownsville, Texas Sunrise Mall and Sunrise Commons.". Business Wire. 2003-05-01. Retrieved 2008-10-29.
- Mahon, Chris (2005-10-14). "Five stores to open at Sunrise Mall.". The Brownsville Herald. Retrieved 2008-10-29.
- "Brownsville hotel to be replaced by retail plaza". The Brownsville Herald. June 19, 2015.