Sunrise Manor, Nevada
|Founded by||Clark County Commission|
|• Total||33.71 sq mi (87.32 km2)|
|• Land||33.71 sq mi (87.32 km2)|
|• Water||0.00 sq mi (0.00 km2)|
|Elevation||1,821 ft (555 m)|
|• Density||6,099.07/sq mi (2,354.87/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC−8 (PST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC−7 (PDT)|
|Area code(s)||702 and 725|
|GNIS feature ID||1867351|
|Website||Sunrise Manor Town Advisory Board|
Sunrise Manor is a census-designated place in Clark County, Nevada, United States, located on the western base of Frenchman Mountain, east of Las Vegas. The population was 205,618 at the 2020 census. If Sunrise Manor were to be incorporated, it would be one of the largest cities in Nevada. Sunrise Manor was formed in May 1957.
In 1957, North Las Vegas was planning for annexation of the area, and the Clark County Commission did not approve of it, and so created Sunrise Manor in May of the same year. It originally only consisted of the northern fraction of its modern-day boundary. By the time of the 1970 Census, the census-designated place of Vegas Creek was formed to the south of Sunrise Manor. It was dissolved in 1980, and added to Sunrise Manor the same year, roughly making Sunrise Manor's boundaries similar to its modern-day borders.
In 2018, some of the residents of Sunrise Manor proposed incorporation as its own city. This proposed city would include Sunrise Manor and neighboring Whitney. Residents who were for incorporation argued that Sunrise Manor does not get enough recognition being part of Clark County and that a city would need to address crime, drugs, and homelessness, while residents who were against incorporation argued that incorporation will be costly and inefficient, comparing it to North Las Vegas.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the census-designated place (CDP) of Sunrise Manor (which may not coincide exactly with the town boundaries) has a total area of 33.4 square miles (86.4 km2), all of it land.
At the census of 2010, there were 189,372 people living in the CDP. The racial makeup was 48.9% White, 12.6% African American, 0.9% Native American, 5.7% Asian, 0.6% Pacific Islander, and 5.1% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 48.5% of the population and 30.2% of the population was non-Hispanic White.
At the 2000 census there were 156,120 people, 53,745 households, and 38,535 families living in the CDP. The population density was 4,081.8 inhabitants per square mile (1,576.0/km2). There were 58,410 housing units at an average density of 1,527.1 per square mile (589.6/km2). The racial makeup of the CDP was 63.47% White, 12.89% African American, 0.98% Native American, 6.41% Asian, 0.46% Pacific Islander, 10.13% from other races, and 4.67% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 27.02%.
Of the 53,745 households 37.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 49.3% were married couples living together, 15.6% had a female householder with no husband present, and 28.3% were non-families. 20.3% of households were one person and 6.0% were one person aged 65 or older. The average household size was 2.88 and the average family size was 3.32.
The age distribution was 29.7% under the age of 18, 9.8% from 18 to 24, 31.3% from 25 to 44, 20.0% from 45 to 64, and 9.2% 65 or older. The median age was 32 years. For every 100 females, there were 99.4 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 97.0 males.
The median household income was $41,066 and the median family income was $44,339. Males had a median income of $31,175 versus $24,605 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $16,659. About 10.4% of families and 12.8% of the population were below the poverty line, including 17.0% of those under age 18 and 7.0% of those age 65 or over.
East Career and Technical Academy (ECTA or East Tech), Eldorado High School, Las Vegas High School and Sunrise Mountain High School serve the Sunrise Manor area. ECTA, a magnet school, opened for the 2008–2009 school year, admitting only freshmen and sophomores; Las Vegas High School, the oldest of the four high schools, opened in 1905; Las Vegas High School opened its new campus in 1993; and Sunrise Mountain High School was established in 2009.
- "ArcGIS REST Services Directory". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved September 19, 2022.
- http://www.clarkcountynv.gov/Depts/admin_services/tlservices/Pages/Sunrise%20Manor%20Town%20Advisory%20Board.aspx Sunrise Manor Town Board
- "U.S. Census Quick Facts: Sunrise Manor CDP, Nevada". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved August 18, 2021.
- Steve Kanigher (July 18, 2003). "Las Vegas: Bright lights, but not a big city". Las Vegas Sun. Retrieved October 8, 2012.
- 1970 U.S. census: Nevada, Retrieved 2020-04-06 (Go to page 30-16 for map).
- Population and housing unit counts for Nevada in 1980. United States Census Bureau. 1983. Retrieved 2020-04-06.
- Totten, Kristy (8 May 2018). "New City Proposed In East Las Vegas". knpr.org. Retrieved 6 April 2020.
- Schuman, David (17 January 2018). "New city would be incorporated as Sunrise Manor". ktnv.com. Retrieved 6 April 2020.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Sunrise Manor CDP, Nevada". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Archived from the original on February 12, 2020. Retrieved October 16, 2014.
- "CENSUS OF POPULATION AND HOUSING (1790-2000)". U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved 2010-07-17.
- "Sunrise Manor CDP QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau". Archived from the original on 2015-09-05. Retrieved 2015-07-01.
- "U.S. Census website". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.