This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (September 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Broadcast area||Greater London|
|Slogan||Greatest Asian Radio Station In The World|
|Frequency||963/972 kHz, DAB (SDL National) & streaming live on http://www.sunriseradio.com|
|First air date||5 November 1989|
|Format||Asian Music, Entertainment & News|
|Owner||Sunrise Radio London Limited|
Sunrise Radio is the world’s first 24-hour commercial Asian radio station, focusing on entertainment, music and news from the subcontinent. Launched on 5 November 1989, it was the first 24-hour radio station specifically for the Asian demographic and played a pivotal role in integrating the Asian community into the UK. It broadcasts in London on 963/972 AM, on DAB (SDL National) and online.
Tony Lit was appointed Managing Director in September 2014 and Gurdev Jassi was appointed Chairman in April 2014.
Sunrise Radio broadcasts on 963 kHz and 972 kHz and Digital Audio Broadcasting (DAB) on the SDL National multiplex to the London TSA (Rajar Target Survey Area). It streams live at http://www.sunriseradio.com.
When Sunrise Radio first launched, it broadcast in west London on 1413 kHz but later moved to 1458 kHz from the Brookmans Park Transmitter north of London.
From the early 1990s, Sunrise Radio's Astra satellite channel was used to distribute Independent Radio News (IRN) hourly news bulletins to smaller commercial, community and hospital radio stations. This service ceased on 31 August 2004, and a designated IRN channel was set up on the Hot Bird satellite.
In 1992, Sunrise Radio acquired Sunrise House in Southall, west London, which was officially opened on 21 January 1993 by Peter Baldwin Chief Executive of the Radio Authority and has been broadcasting there ever since. The company headquarters are in the same building.
In the 1990s Avtar Lit was presented with an honorary doctorate by Thames Valley University for his contribution to radio broadcasting. The station ceased broadcasting on Sky on 27 February 2013, followed by Virgin Media on 1 March 2013. Its DAB outlet went silent upon the cessation of its service on 1458 kHz on 4 February 2014, but is now running again.
In July 2013 Avtar Lit was one of forty radio professionals honoured by the Radio Centre for their significant contribution to the growth and success of the industry
Sunrise Radio Group went into administration on 13 January 2014. The Sunrise Radio brand was transferred to 963/972 kHz, the previous frequency of Buzz Asia. On 19 January 2016 Sunrise Radio was observed as being silent on the Kent and Surrey & North Sussex DAB multiplexes. Sunrise Radio went Nationwide on DAB in early 2016.
Sunrise Radio Training Academy
On 18 November 2014, Tony Lit, MD Sunrise Radio and Gurdev Jassi, Chairman Sunrise Radio, launched the Sunrise Radio Training Academy, a free training scheme for those wanting to pursue a career in radio. The scheme allows those wishing to pursue a career in radio to train alongside professionals and learn every aspect of the business, from producing to presenting and radio journalism.
Sunrise Radio has organised and sponsored many events and melas, including a collaboration with the London Mayor’s office to put together the London Mela, launched in August 2003 in Gunnersbury Park, West London. The event attracted an audience of over 60,000.
In 2004 Sunrise Radio launched the Asian Lifestyle Show at London’s Olympia attracting over 40,000 people. The event was widely recognised as the largest celebration of Asian culture in Europe. The show was shortlisted for the ‘Best New Consumer Show 2004’ by the Association of Event Organisers. The Asian Lifestyle Show 2004-2007 was consistently sold out.
- Farah Ahmed ( Bollywood Top 20) named the Best Media Personality by the Pakistani Achievement Awards 2014
- Andy Gill nominated for Best Show (Breakfast Show Monday-Friday) – Asian Media Awards 2014
- Sunrise Radio nominated for Radio Station of the Year – Asian Media Awards 2014
- Sunrise Radio wins the NTL Commercial Radio Award for Marketing Excellence 2004
- Sunrise Radio one of five shortlisted for the Media Week Awards – Media Brand of the Year 2004 - alongside Century FM, XFM, Living TV & The Independent
- Asian Media Awards Radio Station of the Year 2016 
- "Sunrise Radio Celebrates 25th Birthday". Asiana (20 November 2014).
- "Sunrise Radio Named No.1 Commercial Asian Radio Station In London". Asiana (12 August 2014).
- Pidgeon, David. "Sunrise Radio appoints new managing director". Media Tel (8 September 2014).
- Baddhan, Raj. "Sunrise TV & Sunrise Radio removed from Sky EPG". Biz Asia (27 February 2013). Archived from the original on 2 March 2013.
- Correspondent, Biz Asia (12 October 2014). "Sunrise Radio to relaunch on DAB digital". Biz Asia.
- "Roll of Honours" (PDF). Radio Centre (July 2013).
- "Sunrise Radio in Administration". BizAsia. 21 January 2014.
- Baddhan, Lakh. "Sunrise Radio announces Radio Presenters Academy". Biz Asia (3 October 2014).
- "Mayor launches plans for the London Mela 2005". Greater Authority London (16 May 2005).
- "Asian Lifestyle Show HIGHLIGHTS". http://www.vivavocefashion.com. External link in
- "Asian Lifestyle Show 2005 - This summer's biggest lifestyle exhibition". http://www.nachnach.com. Retrieved 29 May 2005. External link in
- "Sunrise Radio to sponsor Just Bollywood event". Radio Today (29 October 2014).
- Farooq, Usman. "The Pakistan Achievement Awards, UK & Europe". ebuzz today (16 October 2014).
- "Asian Media Awards 2014 – Our nomination and full shortlists". Asian Culture Vulture (30 September 2014).
- "DJ Fox picks up NTL radio award". Broadcast Now (28 June 2004).
- "Media Week Awards shortlist announced". Brand Republic (16 September 2004).
- "Sunrise Radio Is 2016 Radio Station of the Year". Asian Media Awards. 7 November 2016. Retrieved 7 October 2017.