Taylor pictured in 2011
|Political party||Revolutionary Communist Party, USA|
Sunsara Taylor is a political activist who is a supporter of the Revolutionary Communist Party, USA (RCP), and groups associated with it, such as Refuse Fascism and World Can't Wait. She has been a vocal opponent of the anti-abortion movement, the sex industry, and U.S. imperialism, having debated these topics on Fox News.
World Can't Wait
Taylor is a member of the advisory board of World Can't Wait. In a 2006 article for the group, titled "Comparing Bush to Hitler: Lessons for Today", she declared that the presidency of George W. Bush was "fascistic", and called for Bush to be "driven from office".
According to the organization Stop Patriarchy, Taylor is "a key initiator of this movement to End Pornography and Patriarchy: the Enslavement and Degradation of Women, a.k.a. Stop Patriarchy". In that capacity, she led the group's 2013 promotional tour called the "Abortion Rights Freedom Ride".
Stop Patriarchy has been described as the "pro-choice group Texas feminists hate"; Texans for Reproductive Justice have said they "oppose Stop Patriarchy’s messaging, tactics, dishonesty, and racism". Taylor responded by accusing Texans for Reproductive Justice of hypocrisy, declaring that at "the top of the Texans for Reproductive Justice site is a flag that flew over half of Mexico. They're flying a southern slave-state flag - Texas was created in order to expand the power of slave states in Congress. The hypocrisy is stunning."
2016 RCP protests at the Republican National Convention
During the 2016 Republican National Convention, she served as a spokesperson for the Revolutionary Communist Party USA, addressing reporters outside the Cleveland Justice Center in what the Los Angeles Times described as a rare moment of attention for the party, and declaring that "America was never great". She later alleged Cleveland police had lied when they said they had intervened to stop a flag burning due to a protester accidentally setting himself on fire.
As of 2017 Taylor, was an organizer with Refuse Fascism, which described its objective as "Stop Trump/Pence Fascism". As a representative of the group, she spoke at the 2017 Women's March on Washington, protested outside Trump Tower, and tweeted video of protesters burning the United States flag, and later drew media attention after comparing Donald Trump to Adolf Hitler during an appearance on Tucker Carlson Tonight.
Writing and commentary
Taylor is the host of the weekly WBAI-FM radio show We Only Want The World, and the former co-host of Equal Time for Free Thought on the same station. She has written for Revolution and Truthdig, and been featured as a guest on The O'Reilly Factor, Tucker Carlson, the Sean Hannity Show, and other shows on Fox.
- Asma, Stephen (2013). Against Fairness. University of Chicago Press. p. 112. ISBN 0226029867.
- "Who is Sunsara Taylor?". stoppatriarchy.org. Stop Patriarchy. Retrieved February 22, 2017.
- "Comparing Bush to Hitler: Lessons for Today". worldcantwait.net. World Can't Wait. Retrieved February 22, 2017.
- Stoeffel, Kat (July 29, 2014). "Q&A: The Pro-Choice Group Texas Feminists Hate". New York Magazine. Retrieved February 22, 2017.
- Flock, Elizabeth (July 22, 2013). "Pro-Abortion Activists Going on Freedom Ride to Call For 'Abortion on Demand'". U.S. News & World Report. Retrieved February 22, 2017.
- Rampell, Ed (February 18, 2015). "Fifty Shades of Protest". The Progressive. Retrieved February 22, 2017.
- Nelson, Steven (July 21, 2016). "Cleveland Cops Accused of Lying About Flag-Burning Protesters Catching Fire". U.S. News & World Report. Retrieved February 22, 2017.
- Pearce, Matt (June 21, 2016). "'Please ignore the man with the bullhorn': A reporter's diary from outside the GOP convention". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved February 22, 2017.
- Hains, Tim (22 February 2017). "Back to Videos 'Refuse Fascism' Activist vs. Tucker Carlson: Trump Is More Dangerous Than Hitler". RealClearPolitics. Retrieved 22 February 2017.
- "About / Contact". refusefascism.org. Refuse Fascism. Retrieved February 22, 2017.
- O'Connor, Brendan (January 21, 2017). "Women's Marchers Drove the 'Trump Unity Bridge' Out of Town". Jezebel. Retrieved February 22, 2017.
- "Protesters burn flag outside Trump's New York hotel". The Hill. Retrieved February 22, 2017.
- "Michael Slate Show". KPFK. January 6, 2017.
- Books, Revolution (2018-08-15), Report Back from Washington, retrieved 2018-08-22
- "Sunsara Taylor Bio". insight-press.com. Insight Press. Retrieved February 22, 2017.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sunsara Taylor.|