Location of Sunsari district in Nepal
|Region||Eastern (Purwanchal); Terai-Madhesh plain, Limbuwan.|
|• Total||1,257 km2 (485 sq mi)|
|• Density||610/km2 (1,600/sq mi)|
|Time zone||NPT (UTC+5:45)|
Sunsari District (Nepali: सुनसरी जिल्ला Listen (help·info)), a part of Province No. 1 in Terai plain, is one of the seventy-five districts of Nepal in Terai plain of Southern Nepal. The district, with Inaruwa as its district headquarters, covers an area of 1,257 km² and at the 2011 census had a population of 763,487.
The area was originally part of Morang District but became its own district in 1962 when Nepal was divided into 14 zones and 75 districts.
Major cities in Sunsari district are Inaruwa, Itahari, Jhumka and Dharan, Duhabi, and Mahendranagar. Some religious places of this district are Budha Subba Temple ,Ramdhuni, Chataradham ( prachin haridwar), Baraha Kshetra, Bishnupaduka, Dantakali, and Pindeshori.
Geography and climate
|Climate Zone||Elevation Range||% of Area|
|Lower Tropical||below 300 meters (1,000 ft)||86.6%|
|Upper Tropical||300 to 1,000 meters
1,000 to 3,300 ft.
|Subtropical||1,000 to 2,000 meters
3,300 to 6,600 ft.
Village Development Committees (VDCs) and Municipalities
- Aurabarni(Now Gadhi Gaupalika
- Bhadgaun Sinawari (now Ramdhuni-Bhasi Municipality)
- Bhaluwa (now Duhabi-Bhaluwa Municipality)
- Bishnupaduka (now Dharan Municipality)
- Dharan Municipality
- Duhabi-Bhaluwa Municipality
- Inaruwa Municipality
- Itahari Municipality
- Panchakanya (now Dharan Municipality)
- Paschim Kasuha
- Ramdhuni-Bhasi Municipality
- Ramganj Belgachhi
- Ramganj Senuwari
- Ramnagar Bhutaha
- Singiya (now Ramdhuni-Bhasi Municipality)
- Household and population by districts, Central Bureau of Statistics (CBS) Nepal
- The Map of Potential Vegetation of Nepal - a forestry/agroecological/biodiversity classification system (PDF), . Forest & Landscape Development and Environment Series 2-2005 and CFC-TIS Document Series No.110., 2005, ISBN 87-7903-210-9, retrieved Nov 22, 2013
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sunsari District.|