Sunsbury Township, Monroe County, Ohio
|Sunsbury Township, Monroe County, Ohio|
East of Beallsville on State Route 556
Location of Sunsbury Township in Monroe County
|• Total||28.4 sq mi (73.6 km2)|
|• Land||28.4 sq mi (73.6 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||1,201 ft (366 m)|
|• Density||47/sq mi (18/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086660|
Located in the northern part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Washington Township, Belmont County - northeast
- Switzerland Township - east
- Adams Township - south
- Center Township - southwest
- Malaga Township - west
- Wayne Township, Belmont County - northwest
Three villages are located in Sunsbury Township:
- Beallsville, in the north
- Part of Jerusalem, in the northwest, along the border with Malaga Township
- Part of Wilson, in the northwest, along the border with Belmont County
Name and history
It is the only Sunsbury Township statewide.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (DP-1): Sunsbury township, Monroe County, Ohio". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved June 4, 2012.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.