|Origin||Montreal, Quebec, Canada|
|Genres||Indie rock, Art rock|
|Labels||Absolutely Kosher, Global Symphonic, Jagjaguwar|
Camilla Wynne Ingr
Sunset Rubdown was a Canadian art rock music group from Montreal. The band began as a solo project for Spencer Krug of Wolf Parade, who released his debut, Snake's Got a Leg, in early 2005. By the next year the project expanded to become a full band which included Camilla Wynne Ingr (former Pony Up!), Jordan Robson-Cramer (Magic Weapon), and Michael Doerksen.
Sunset Rubdown is built around lyricist Spencer Krug's vocals and eccentric musical compositions. Krug's lyrics are characterized by surreal and mythological imagery, and often tell epic stories (most notably on their LP Dragonslayer). Musically, the band's sound is highlighted by distinct drum, keyboard, and guitar signatures.
Krug released the solo-created Sunset Rubdown EP in January 2006. This was followed by the first full band album Shut Up I Am Dreaming recorded in Montreal in early 2006 and released in May to positive reviews, finishing the year with a 15th-place ranking on Pitchfork's best albums list.
Random Spirit Lover, recorded in Montreal's Breakglass studios in the late winter of 2007, was released on the band's new label, Jagjaguwar, in October of that year. The recording featured an eclectic, and elaborate collection of songs, which was heralded as one of 2007's best albums by several critics and music publications. The CD made a number of top-20 albums of the year lists, earned Pitchfork's "Best New Music" distinction and finished in 14th spot in Pitchfork's year-end Readers Poll. The album also made NPR's list of top albums of 2007, and was nominated for the U.S. Indie Music industry's Plug Award in the Best Indie Album of the Year category.
In 2007, Mark Nicol was added as the band's fifth member. Sunset Rubdown completed their first tour of UK and Europe in June 2008.
The band recorded their fourth album in Chicago after a fall 2008 tour of the U.S.. Following a spring 2009 tour of several European countries, Dragonslayer was released on June 23, 2009 to critical acclaim. The album's 'live off the studio floor' dynamics has garnered widespread acclaim. The band once again earned Pitchfork's "Best New Music" ranking, and received a perfect '10' from England's Drowned in Sound web magazine, with Dragonslayer staying in the top-10 on Canadian and U.S. college and indie music charts (Earshot, Chart Attack) for 10 straight weeks through July and August 2009.
Dragonslayer finished on many online music magazine and music blogs top albums year-end lists (Drowned in Sound, Associated Press, Earshot), including several Top 10 lists (Chart Attack, Cokemachineglow). The album was voted as the 16th best album of the year in Pitchfork's year-end readers poll and also finished as one of the top-40 highest ranked/reviewed albums of the year based on Metacritic's tracking system.
The band completed a 46-city tour of Europe, U.S and Japan from September through November 2009, after which they disbanded.
- Snake's Got a Leg LP (2005) Global Symphonic
- Sunset Rubdown EP (2006) Global Symphonic
- Shut Up I Am Dreaming LP (2006) Absolutely Kosher
- Random Spirit Lover LP (2007) Jagjaguwar
- Sunset Rubdown Introducing Moonface EP (2009) Aagoo Records
- Dragonslayer LP (2009) Jagjaguwar
While all members of Sunset Rubdown reside in Montreal, Quebec, all are transplants from other parts of Canada. Spencer Krug, Michael Doerksen and Jordan Robson-Cramer are originally from British Columbia, with Camilla Wynne Ingr originally from Alberta and Mark Nicol from Ontario.
- Spencer Krug - vocals, keys, guitar, kick drum
- Camilla Wynne Ingr - vocals, percussion, keyboards, "Jane-of-all-trades"
- Michael Doerksen - guitar, bass, synthesizers, drums, vocals
- Jordan Robson-Cramer - drums, guitar, keyboards
- Mark Nicol - bass, kalimba, drums
- " Sunset Rubdown". AllMusic Biography by Kenyon Hopkin
- Rebecca Rayber (October 2007). In My Room. CMJ New Music Monthly. CMJ Network, Inc. pp. 13–. ISSN 1074-6978.
- "Sunset Rubdown Interview on Kevchino". kevchino.com. Archived from the original on 12 October 2007. Retrieved 17 January 2022.
- The Fader. Vol. Issues 38-39. Fader, Incorporated. 2006. p. 74.
- "The Weirdness of Sunset Rubdown". Exclaim!, By Brock Thiessen Sep 17, 2007
- Filter Magazine, "First Impressions: Sunset Rubdown - Random Spirit Lover Archived 2007-08-27 at the Wayback Machine, July 16, 2007.
This article's use of external links may not follow Wikipedia's policies or guidelines. (March 2020)
- Media related to Sunset Rubdown at Wikimedia Commons
- Sunset Rubdown Daytrotter Session Free MP3 Download
- Daytrotter Encore Session (Free Songs)
- Interview with Sunset Rubdown on czech Radio Wave (30 mins english audio with czech translation)
- Sunset Rubdown on NPR Music
- Sunset Rubdown: Interview, Part One Archived 2009-09-22 at the Wayback Machine Spencer Krug interviewed by Drowned in Sound, September 2009
- Sunset Rubdown: Exclusive Interview, Part Two Archived 2009-09-16 at the Wayback Machine Spencer and the band interviewed by Drowned in Sound, September 2009