Sunshine (Jonathan Edwards song)
|Single by Jonathan Edwards|
|from the album Jonathan Edwards|
|Genre||Country folk, pop|
"Sunshine" is a country folk song from 1971 by Jonathan Edwards, released as the first single from his debut album Jonathan Edwards. The single reached #4 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart on January 15, 1972, and earned a gold record.
"Sunshine" was not originally planned for release, but when an engineer accidentally erased the master of a track called "Please Find Me" near the end of sessions for the album, "Sunshine" was used to fill the hole.
The song was released as a single and first gained popularityon Boston radio, before going nationwide. Here's Edwards' take on its success: "It was just at the time of the Vietnam War and Nixon. It was looking bad out there. That song meant a lot to a lot of people during that time--especially me."
- Jonathan Edwards recorded and released a bluegrass version of "Sunshine" (along with an entire album) with the band "The Seldom Scene."[when?]
In July 2007, the original Jonathan Edwards recording joined the list of Vietnam Era protest songs used to sell high-end consumer products when it was used as the only audio in a Jeep television spot, part of the Heritage campaign developed by the Cutwater agency.
- "Billboard Jan 15, 1972". Archived from the original on 2007-09-29. Retrieved 2007-09-04.
- "Jonathan Edwards bio". Archived from the original on 2007-07-13. Retrieved 2007-09-04.
- "Item Display - RPM - Library and Archives Canada". Collectionscanada.gc.ca. 1972-02-12. Retrieved 2018-12-31.
- "Item Display - RPM - Library and Archives Canada". Collectionscanada.gc.ca. 1972-02-26. Retrieved 2018-12-21.
- Joel Whitburn's Top Pop Singles 1955-1990 - ISBN 0-89820-089-X
- Whitburn, Joel (2002). Top Adult Contemporary: 1961-2001. Record Research. p. 85.
- Cash Box Year-End Charts: Top 100 Pop Singles, December 30, 1972
- Whitburn, Joel (2004). The Billboard Book Of Top 40 Country Hits: 1944-2006, Second edition. Record Research. p. 248.
- "Cutwater". Retrieved 2007-09-04.