|Birth name||Sunshine Jocelyn Sian Anderson|
June 7, 1974 |
Winston-Salem, North Carolina, United States
|Genres||R&B, soul, neo-soul|
|Occupation(s)||CEO, Singer-songwriter, record producer|
|Labels||Soulife, Atlantic, Shining Star, Music World, Verve Forecast|
Anderson was born in Winston-Salem, North Carolina, and later moved to Charlotte. Wallace Sellars, a friend of a producer/Soulife A&R Vice President, Mike City, heard Anderson singing on her way to the cafeteria of North Carolina Central University (where she earned a B.S. in criminal justice) and introduced the two. From there, Anderson was managed by Macy Gray during the recording of her first album.
2001–2002: Your Woman
In the spring of 2001, Anderson released her debut album, Your Woman on Atlantic Records. The album debuted at #8 on Billboard's Hot 200 and #2 on Top R&B charts. The lead single, "Heard It All Before," (released May 21, 2001) peaked at #18 on the Billboard Hot 100 and at #3 on the R&B charts. The follow-up single "Lunch or Dinner," peaked at #54 on R&B charts. The album was certified gold later that year.
2004–2007: Sunshine at Midnight
In August 2004, Anderson signed to Matthew Knowles' new record label Music World Entertainment. In 2006, her first single for her new label, "Something I Wanna Give You" was released and peaked at #80 on Billboard R&B charts. A video of the song was shot in Los Angeles by director Gil Green.
On January 23, 2007, Anderson released her second album, Sunshine at Midnight. The album debuted and peaked at #86 on the Billboard 200 and #16 on the R&B charts. In addition to the release of the album, Anderson toured with singer Brian McKnight. Later that year, the follow-up singles "Force of Nature" (#75 R&B) and "Wear The Crown" were released.
2010–present: The Sun Shines Again
In September 2010, Anderson announced on her Twitter that her new single "Lie to Kick It" was released to radio. Her third studio album, The Sun Shines Again was released November 2, 2010 on Verve Forecast Records.
|Year||Album||Chart positions||RIAA Certification|
|U.S.||U.S. R&B||U.S. Indie||UK|
|2001||Your Woman||5||2||-||39||Gold (750,000+ copies sold)|
|2007||Sunshine At Midnight||86||16||4||-||N/A (175,000+ copies sold)|
|2010||The Sun Shines Again||-||50||-||-||TBD|
|U.S.||U.S. R&B||U.S. Dance||UK|
|2001||"Heard It All Before"||18||3||11||9||Your Woman|
|"Lunch or Dinner"||-||54||-||57|
|2006||"Something I Wanna Give You"||-||80||-||-||Sunshine at Midnight|
|2007||"Force Of Nature"||-||75||-||-|
|"Wear The Crown"||-||-||-||-|
|2010||"Lie To Kick It"||-||84||-||-||The Sun Shines Again|
- Anderson's ASCAP database entry
- later she moved to Washington DC where she worked for several years. Sunshine anderson was involved with singer Mike Anthony. Sunshine Anderson at MTV.com Archived July 2, 2012, at the Wayback Machine.
- Interview with Sidewalks Entertainment Archived March 3, 2016, at the Wayback Machine.
- Interview on Anderson's official site Archived August 27, 2007, at the Wayback Machine.
- Sunshine Anderson Survives Label Drama, Macy Gray Archived April 6, 2009, at the Wayback Machine.
- Sunshine Anderson biography on Yahoo! Music[permanent dead link]
- Essence Gets A Taste Of Sunshine Anderson Archived May 23, 2011, at the Wayback Machine.
- Sunshine Anderson Returns With New Album Archived January 11, 2016, at the Wayback Machine.. Billboard. Retrieved: June 23, 2009.
- [dead link]
- Artist Chart History at Billboard.com
- Roberts, David (2006). British Hit Singles & Albums (19th ed.). London: Guinness World Records Limited. p. 23. ISBN 1-904994-10-5.
- Independent Sales Chart 4/25/07
- Official website