Sunshine West, Victoria
|Population||18,580 (2016 census)|
|• Density||2,352/km2 (6,090/sq mi)|
|Area||7.9 km2 (3.1 sq mi)|
|Location||13 km (8 mi) from Melbourne|
|LGA(s)||City of Brimbank|
Settlement of the area dates from the 1920s when the Sunshine Heights Estate was developed. Sunshine West Post Office opened on 1 July 1939 and closed in 1981. Significant development did not occur until the post-war years, with rapid growth from the 1970s through to the 1980s. The population declined slightly from the early 1990s, a result of some new dwellings being added to the area, but a decline in the average number of persons living in each dwelling.
Major features of the area include the Sunshine Wisdom Lodge - Freemasons Victoria, Saint Leopold Mandić Croatian Catholic Church and Centre, West Sunshine Community Centre, Ainsworth Reserve, Buckingham Reserve, Norm Talintyre Reserve, the Australia Post Parcel Facility, the nearby Ardeer railway station and numerous schools.
Places of worship
- Saint Leopold Mandić Croatian Catholic Church, located on the corner of Fitzgerald Road & Whitesides Avenue
- Saint Paul's Roman Catholic Church, located on Glengala Road
- Greek Orthodox Church of Saint Andrew, located on St Andrew Street
- Saint Anthony's Greek Orthodox Church, located on Armstrong Street
- City of Sunshine - Sunshine West was previously within this former local government area.