This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Sunway University College (2004–2011)|
|Motto||Fortuna Eruditis Favet ("Fortune Favours the Prepared Mind")|
|Type||Private - not for profit|
|Chancellor||Tan Sri Dato' Seri Dr Jeffrey Cheah Fook Ling, AO|
|Vice-Chancellor||Professor Graeme Wilkinson|
|Location||Bandar Sunway, Subang Jaya, Selangor, Malaysia|
Le Cordon Bleu
University of Oxford
University of Cambridge
Sunway University is a private university based in Bandar Sunway, Subang Jaya, Selangor, Malaysia. It has a 10 hectare (24 acre) campus comprising academic and residential blocks adjacent to the Sunway Lagoon theme park. It is located approximately 16 km from the centre of the city of Kuala Lumpur. It was opened in 1987 as Sunway College, part of which was then separated in 2004 and upgraded by the Malaysian Ministry of Higher Education to a university college. In January 2011 it was further upgraded to full university status and became Sunway University. It offers undergraduate and postgraduate programmes taught in English. Its Vice-Chancellor is Professor Graeme Wilkinson, who was appointed from the UK in 2012. He is supported by a Deputy Vice-Chancellor and a Provost.
Sunway University is a broad-based university offering academic programmes at both undergraduate level (diploma programmes and bachelor's degrees) and at postgraduate level (master's and doctoral degrees).
The university is structured into the following six schools, each led by a dean and each comprising a number of departments, centres and institutes:
- School of Business
- School of Science and Technology
- School of Arts
- School of Mathematical Sciences
- School of Hospitality
- Sunway Institute of Healthcare Development
- The School of Interdisciplinary Studies - American Degree Transfer Program (ADTP)
- Centre for English Language Studies
The School of Business is the largest school in the University.
Sunway University's programmes have attained accreditation and are compliant with Malaysia's regulatory and quality systems. All courses are registered and adhere to high government and compliance standards. Sunway University has been rated Tier 5 "excellent" three times in a row by the government's quality assessment system SETARA with the recent grade in the last national quality review "Setara 17" by the Malaysian Qualifications Agency.
Sunway University is also rated internationally as a 4-star university overall by the university rating and ranking organisation Quacquarelli Symonds (QS Asia), with 5-star ratings for teaching, employability and facilities.
The School of Business offers a diploma in business administration; bachelor’s degrees in accounting and finance, business management, business studies, marketing, financial analysis, and financial economics; a master of business administration (MBA) programme; and a doctor of philosophy programme in business. The School of Business offers the University's largest academic programme by student enrolment, the Bachelor of Science degree in Accounting and Finance.
The School of Science and Technology offers a diploma in information technology; bachelor’s degrees in computer science, information systems, information systems (business analytics), mobile computing with entrepreneurship, information technology, information technology (computer networking and security), biology with psychology, medical biotechnology, psychology, and nursing; master’s degrees in computer science, information technology, life sciences and psychology; and doctor of philosophy programmes in computer science and in biology.
The School of Arts offers five degrees: BA (Hons) Communication - validated by Lancaster University , BA (Hons) Digital Film Production , BA (Hons) Contemporary Music (Audio Technology) - validated by Lancaster University. , BA (Hons) Interior Architecture and BA (Hons) Design Communication and three diplomas: Diploma in Performing Arts , Diploma in Interior Design and Diploma in Graphics & Multimedia Design.
The School of Mathematical Sciences offers a bachelor's degree in actuarial studies. This programme was the first degree programme in Malaysia to gain full accreditation by the Malaysian Finance Accreditation Agency.
The School of Hospitality offers diplomas in culinary arts, events management, and hotel management; and bachelor's degrees in culinary management, international hospitality management, and conventions and events management.
The School of Interdisciplinary Studies offers an American Degree Transfer Programme (ADTP), through its Centre for American Education, which enables students to study part of a bachelor's degree programme and then to transfer to universities in North America to complete their studies.
Research Centres and Institutes
Sunway University has 10 research centres and institutes consist various fields of studies:
- Centre for Commercial Law and Justice
- Centre for Higher Education Research
- Centre for Radiation Sciences
- Centre for Research - Creation in Digital Media (CRCDM)
- Centre for Virus and Vaccine Research
- Jeffrey Cheah Institute on Southeast Asia (JCI), which is established as a think tank to undertake research and policy analysis relating to the economies, societies and cultures of southeast Asia. The Institute's president is Professor Datuk Dr Woo Wing Thye.
- Jeffrey Sachs Center on Sustainable Development, which is established to conduct research and teaching related to the implementation of the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals in southeast Asia. The Center is chaired by Professor Jeffrey Sachs of Columbia University, USA.
- Research Centre for Carbon Dioxide Capture and Utilisation
- Research Centre for Crystalline Materials
- Research Centre for Nano-Materials and Energy Technology
International Partnerships and Collaborations
Sunway University has a partnership with Lancaster University, UK since 2006, in which some degree programmes are offered as dual awards offered by both institutions. The partnership model was the subject of research by the UK’s Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education which produced a case study on it. Sunway University also has a collaboration with the international culinary training organisation Le Cordon Bleu which enables graduates from certain hospitality programmes to receive professional certificates from Le Cordon Bleu.
Through benefactions from the Jeffrey Cheah Foundation, professorial fellowships have been established in perpetuity both at Brasenose College, University of Oxford, and at Gonville and Caius College, University of Cambridge, to develop academic ties with Sunway University. The Jeffrey Cheah Scholars-in-Residence Programme has also been established through the benefaction at Brasenose College, to allow two academics or postgraduate students from Sunway University to spend up to four weeks each year for research or study in Oxford.
Sunway University has articulation partnerships with a number of international universities to enable students to study partly at Sunway and partly at an overseas university to complete their degrees. One of the longest such partnerships has been with Western Michigan University, USA.
Sunway University is governed by a Board of Directors, chaired by the Chancellor. The Board of Directors is responsible for the overall strategic direction of the University. Academic governance is effected by the Academic Senate, chaired by the Vice-Chancellor, which includes all full professors, deans and heads of department among its membership. The detailed responsibilities of the Board and the Senate are described in the University's constitution, which has been approved by the Ministry of Higher Education.
Sunway Education Group
Sunway University is a member of the Sunway Education Group, which is owned by the Jeffrey Cheah Foundation. The Foundation was officially established as a registered charity in March 2010 from its predecessor Sunway Education Trust, set up in 1997. It was founded by Tan Sri Dato' Seri Dr. Jeffrey Cheah, AO, Founder and Chairman of the Sunway Group of companies. All of the educational institutions that operate under the Foundation are not-for-profit; surpluses are channelled towards scholarships and bursaries to students, as well as towards grants for research. Besides Sunway University, the Sunway Education Group includes Sunway International School, Sunway College (several campuses), Sunway-TES Centre for Accounting Excellence, and Monash University Sunway Campus, besides several other institutions.
On the 25th of July 2017, Sunway Education Group celebrated its 30th anniversary. The highlight of the celebration was the three-dimensional projection mapping show in which images were projected on the facade of the university’s building from four projectors.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sunway University.|
- "Sunway University leadership". Sunway University. Retrieved 21 November 2016.
- "Sunway University Announces Appointment Of New Vice-Chancellor". Pendidikan Malaysia.
- "The sunny side of leading a Malaysian university". Times Higher Education, 8 August 2013.
- "Sunway University Prospectus" (PDF).
- "Diploma in Nursing | Sunway University". university.sunway.edu.my. Retrieved 2018-01-22.
- "American Degree Transfer Program | Sunway University". university.sunway.edu.my. Retrieved 2018-01-22.
- "Centre For English Language Studies | Sunway University". university.sunway.edu.my. Retrieved 2018-01-22.
- "QS Stars University Ratings".
- "Malaysia - Profile of Private Higher Educational Institutions (PHEIs) 2014". Ministry of Higher Education, Malaysia.
- "Sunway University Receives First Full Accreditation For Actuarial Studies Programme From FAA". Finance Accreditation Agency.
- QS Asian University Rankings 2019
- "Research - Research Centres & Institutes". Sunway University.
- "Centre for Commercial Law and Justice". Sunway University.
- "Centre for Higher Education Research". Sunway University.
- "Centre for Radiation Sciences". Sunway University.
- "Centre for Research-Creation in Digital Media". Sunway University.
- "Centre for Virus and Vaccine Research". Sunway University.
- "Jeffrey Cheah Institute on Southeast Asia". Sunway University.
- "Finance expert helms institute". The Star Online, 9 February 2014.
- "Jeffrey Sachs Center on Sustainable Development". Sunway University.
- "Sunway sets up hub for sustainable development".
- "Research Centre for Carbon Dioxide Capture and Utilisation". Sunway University.
- "Research Centre for Crystalline Materials". Sunway University.
- "Research Centre for Nano-Materials and Energy Technology". Sunway University.
- "Lancaster University and Sunway University Partnership".
- "UK Collaboration in Malaysia: institutional Case Studies, University of Lancaster and Sunway University College" (PDF). QAA, January 2010.
- "Sunway University College and Le Cordon Bleu Sign A Joint Alliance".
- "The Jeffrey Cheah Foundation".
- "RM1bil pledged for education by Jeffrey Cheah Foundation". The Star online, 18 December 2015.
- "Sunway ties up with Cambridge". The Star online, 15 February 2015.
- "Harvard Medical School Southeast Asia Healthcare Leadership Programme".
- "President Dunn heads to Malaysia to celebrate 25 year partnership". Western Michigan University.