Location of Suomussalmi in Finland
|• Municipal manager||Asta Tolonen|
|• Total||5,857.60 km2 (2,261.63 sq mi)|
|• Land||5,270.56 km2 (2,034.97 sq mi)|
|• Water||587.03 km2 (226.65 sq mi)|
|Area rank||9th largest in Finland|
|• Rank||122nd largest in Finland|
|• Density||1.5/km2 (4/sq mi)|
|Population by native language|
|• Finnish||98.7% (official)|
|Population by age|
|• 0 to 14||12.7%|
|• 15 to 64||63%|
|• 65 or older||24.3%|
|Time zone||UTC+02:00 (EET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+03:00 (EEST)|
|Municipal tax rate||19.5%|
Suomussalmi is a municipality in Finland and is located in the Kainuu region. The municipality has a population of 7,881 (31 January 2019) and covers an area of 5,857.60 square kilometres (2,261.63 sq mi) of which 587.03 km2 (226.65 sq mi) is water. The population density is 1.5 inhabitants per square kilometre (3.9/sq mi). The municipality is unilingually Finnish. Ämmänsaari is the biggest built-up area in the municipality.
Suomussalmi is the second southernmost part of the reindeer-herding area in Finland.
During the Winter War of 1939–40, several battles were fought in the area around Suomussalmi, the most important ones being the Battle of Suomussalmi and the Battle of Raate. In these battles Finnish forces defeated numerically superior Soviet forces.
Suomussalmi hosted the 2016 World Berry Picking Championship.
Results of the Finnish parliamentary election, 2011 in Suomussalmi:
- Left Alliance 36.3%
- Centre Party 30.9%
- Finns Party 20.5%
- National Coalition Party 5.2%
- Social Democratic Party 3.1%
- Christian Democrats 2.3%
- Green League 0.9%
- Other parties 0.8%
- Kaarlo Juho Ståhlberg (1865–1952)
- Hannes Tauriainen (1909–1971)
- Alho Alhoniemi (born 1933)
- Toini Gustafsson (born 1938)
- Matti Makkonen (1952–2015)
- Osmo Tapio Räihälä (born 1964)
- Tero Penttilä (born 1975)
- Merja Kyllönen (born 1977)
- Heikki Kovalainen (born 1981)
- Janne Pesonen (born 1982)
Twin towns — Sister cities
Suomussalmi is twinned with:
- "Area of Finnish Municipalities 1.1.2018" (PDF). National Land Survey of Finland. Retrieved 30 January 2018.
- "Suomen virallinen tilasto (SVT): Väestön ennakkotilasto [verkkojulkaisu]. Tammikuu 2019" (in Finnish). Statistics Finland. Retrieved 15 March 2019.
- "Population according to language and the number of foreigners and land area km2 by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 29 March 2009.
- "Population according to age and gender by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 28 April 2009.
- "List of municipal and parish tax rates in 2011". Tax Administration of Finland. 29 November 2010. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- Ask the expert - Heikki Kovalainen Formula1.com
- C.G. (11 October 2017). "Explaining the Finnish love of tango". The Economist.
Media related to Suomussalmi at Wikimedia Commons
- Municipality of Suomussalmi – Official website
|This Oulu Province location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|