Supadio International Airport
|Supadio International Airport
Bandar Udara Internasional Supadio
|Owner||Government of Indonesia|
|Operator||PT Angkasa Pura II|
|Location||Pontianak, West Kalimantan, Indonesia|
|Elevation AMSL||10 ft / 3 m|
Supadio International Airport (IATA: PNK, ICAO: WIOO) is an international airport located 17 km from Pontianak, West Kalimantan, Indonesia. The airport is managed by PT. Angkasa Pura II, and takes up 528 ha.
The airport was originally built in the 1940s as Sungai Durian Airport. In the 1980s, it was renamed Supadio Airport. Supadio has a history of domestic and limited international flights. In the 1970s flights started to Kuching International Airport by Merpati and, in the 1980s flights to Singapore serviced by Garuda.NI Air Force is one part Integral of the Indonesian Armed Forces has the principal task of upholding state sovereignty in the airspace of the National, maintaining the territorial integrity of the National Air and Space and law enforcement in the air as well as developing the potential of the National into a defense and security force in the air, while the Air Force has a function as a means of defense and security in the national airspace. In the execution of their duties and functions, have been outlined to the Board which is under the command of the Air Force.
Implementation of the functions and duties of the Air Force described in the units under its ranks and one line under the ranks of the Air Force is the Operations Command Air Force (KOOPSAU) and the commando unit has a function as Command Territorial, which is divided into two parts: Air Force Operations Command I for Indonesia for Regional Command Western Command and Air Force Operations Command Territorial II for Eastern Indonesia.
The success rate in the implementation of the basic tasks each commando unit that depends on the success rate of units / work units under its ranks. As for one unit / air base which is under the responsibility of coaching the Air Force Operations Command I (KOOPSAU I) is the Supadio Air Force Base, which has the main task as an enforcer air sovereignty in West Kalimantan in Indonesia in particular and the region in general.
Supadio Air Force Base in the course of its history, starting from an area covered by jungle. With the development of the economic level of the community in the surrounding area Sei./Sungai Kampung Durian, especially in the area of Port Motor Sei./Sungai Durian, causing the development of freight traffic flows Kapoeas be increased rapidly. Lalulintaspun increasing current density solid, especially after the opening of the highway from the intersection of three to Pontianak so the density of traffic on the Kapuas River and in the flow of road traffic.
Look at and consider the condition of freight traffic flows around the area Sei./Sungai Durian increasingly crowded, the Dutch government began to think to look for other alternative means of transport traffic in order to reduce the density of traffic flows Kapoeas with basic considerations, the Dutch government is planning to open the field Durian Sei./Sungai fly in the area. The Dutch government parties make a deal with the kingdom of Pontianak to implement plans to build airstrips in the area Sei./Sungai Durian.
After obtaining an agreement with the Kingdom of The Kingdom of Pontianak Pontianak then give up some land to be used the Dutch Government in building the airfield. The Dutch government began to carry out research in the area Sei. Durian, especially research on soil structure and factors of natural conditions in the area. The initial steps undertaken by the Government of the Netherlands in his research activities, the Dutch government engineers bring in personnel from the Netherlands.
Another consideration of the Dutch Government in its plans to build airstrips in the area Sei. Durian, when seen from the consideration of strategic factors of defense is to maintain power the Dutch Government in West Kalimantan on the Japanese side and the fighters of the Republic of Indonesia. At that time the Dutch government was involved in World War II with one enemy is the Japanese Government.
Unfortunately however, the Dutch Government's plan can not be undone by the World War II, the Dutch government was defeated by the Japanese Government. During the Japanese occupation development plan Airfield Sungai Durian continued until finished. The purpose of the Japanese Government in continuing the development plan said the field is to build a Japanese air power in West Kalimantan by way of aircraft storage-fighter planes to support various activities of low air-fighter in order to fight the Allied forces / NICA in Kalimantan in particular and Indonesia in general , The Government of Japan in the store all the fighter planes on the runway is not only just but up around the foundation was overgrown with bushes thicket by way of disguise.
At the time of a new airfield was completed, the Japanese government began to carry out trials using the grounding warplanes. During Japanese fighter planes that carry Take Off, the Japanese fighter was nudged Cart sand is in pingir runway that the plane crashed and caused the Japanese aviators were killed instantly.
Supadio International Airport is going to have new terminal building with its runway to be lengthened and widened, to make it a world-class airport. In 2012 tender to overlay 2,250 meters runway has been done, and in early 2013 overlay will be done. Multiyears project to expand runway to 2,500 meters began in 2013. Before, in 2010–2011 runway has been widened from 30 meters to 45 meters.
The new terminal was now being constructed and expected to be finished totally by 2016. The project would be separated into 2 phase. Phase I involves building a temporary terminal with an area of 13.000 m2 and could accommodate over 1.5 million people over a year. This temporary building would be located adjacent to the existing terminal, Phase 2 involves demolishing of existing terminal building and building a new terminal building as an extension of the building in phase I. In total, the new Supadio Airport terminal would have an area of 32.000 m2 and could accommodate 2.5 million people a year.
Airlines and destinations
Accidents and incidents
- On 19 January 1973, Douglas C-47B PK-EHC of Trans Nusantara Airways crashed on landing and was destroyed in the subsequent fire. All four people on board escaped.
- On 22 November 2004, Sri Hardono, the captain of Garuda Indonesia flight 501, a Boeing 737-500 from Pontianak to Jakarta, was suddenly ill shortly after take-off. Hardono immediately asked permission to the air traffic control to return to the airport. Hardono died shortly after the emergency landing while still in the cockpit. Heart attack was the cause of illness and death. Due to the incident, the airport was temporarily closed for 40 minutes. There were no other injuries or fatalities in this incident.
- On 2 November 2010, Lion Air flight 712, operated by Boeing 737-400 PK-LIQ, overran the runway on landing, coming to rest on its belly. All 174 passengers and crew evacuated by the emergency chutes, with few injuries reported.
- On 1 June 2012, a Sriwijaya Air Boeing 737-400 skidded off the runway in heavy rain. Nobody was hurt, but the plane sustained damage beyond repair.
- Airport information for WIOO at World Aero Data. Data current as of October 2006.Source: DAFIF.
- Airport information for WIOO at Great Circle Mapper. Source: DAFIF (effective October 2006).
- "Angkasa Pura II segera perluas bandara Supadio". 3 January 2013.
- "PK-EHC Accident description". Aviation Safety Network. Retrieved 26 August 2010.
- Tempo Interaktif Pilot Garuda Diduga Meninggal Karena Serangan Jantung
- Hradecky, Simon. "Accident: Lionair B734 at Pontianak on Nov 2nd 2010, overran runway on landing". Aviation Herald. Retrieved 2 November 2010.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Supadio Airport.|