This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Port of registry:||Nassau, Bahamas|
|Route:||1-Night Malaysia Cruise & 3-Night Thailand Cruise|
|Builder:||Wärtsilä Marine Perno Shipyard|
|Launched:||14 November 1987|
|Completed:||16 May 1988|
|Out of service:||June 2018|
|Status:||Hotel ship for workers at MV Werften|
|Class and type:||Libra Class|
|Length:||709 ft (216 m)|
|Beam:||93 ft (28 m)|
SuperStar Libra is a cruise ship owned and last operated by Star Cruises. She was built in 1988 at Wärtsilä Marine Perno Shipyard in Turku, Finland as Seaward for Norwegian Cruise Line. In 1997 she was renamed Norwegian Sea, remaining in NCL fleet. In 2005 she was transferred to the fleet of Star Cruises.
The vessel entered operation with Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL) in 1988 as Seaward. The vessel was renamed Norwegian Sea in 1997. In 2005, the vessel was transferred to the Star Cruises fleet and renamed SuperStar Libra.
With Star Cruises, SuperStar Libra sailed a variety of cruises in the Mediterranean, Adriatic, Aegean and Guatemalan seas in the summer of 2006. The vessel deployed back to Mumbai in late September 2006. SuperStar Libra has subsequently been based at various ports in Asia including Singapore, Penang, Hong Kong, Xiamen and Haiku..
Conversion to a Hotel Ship
In March 2018, Star Cruises announced that SuperStar Libra would end her public cruise operations for the company in June 2018.
As of July 2018 onwards, SuperStar Libra is now used as a hotel ship for workers at the shipyard MV Werften of the Genting-Hong-Kong-group in Wismar, Germany to help aid in Genting's new ships being build from this shipyard, for Dream Cruises and Crystal Cruises.
1st Battle of the Halal Chefs 2014
The chef team of SuperStar Libra emerged victorious at the 1st Battle of the Halal Chefs 2014. Together the culinary talent bagged a total of 17 awards at the sizzling culinary battle held from 17–19 Jan at Setia SPICE, Penang, Malaysia.
Battle of the Chefs 2014
The chefs of SuperStar Libra achieved new success at this year’s Battle of the Chefs 2014, clinching a total of 27 medals that include 1 Gold, 5 Silver and 21 Bronze, together with 14 diploma awards, as well as the Most Outstanding US Potatoes Master Chef Challenge Award.
2nd Penang International HALAL Chefs Challenge 2015
The chefs of SuperStar Libra won a total of 25 awards, which include 1 Gold, 8 Silver, 11 Bronze and 5 diplomas at the 2nd Penang International HALAL Chefs Challenge 2015 of which was held from 30 January to 1 February 2015 at the Subterranean Penang International Convention & Exhibition Centre (sPICE), Penang, Malaysia.
- "Archived copy" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 31 March 2010. Retrieved 23 July 2010.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- "STAR CRUISES' SUPERSTAR LIBRA BEGINS HOMEPORT IN XIAMEN Longest homeport of any industry cruise ship in the city, from 24 July to 1 November" (PDF).
- "SuperStar Libra's New Homeport at Haikou | Press Release | Star Cruises". www.starcruises.com. Retrieved 5 November 2015.
- "TravelDailyNews Asia & Pacific | Traveldailynews.Asia".
- "SuperStar Libra's Penang itinerary from September 2016 to December 2017" (PDF).
- Staff, CIN (2 March 2018). "SuperStar Libra to End Public Cruise Operations". Retrieved 3 March 2018.
- "Kreuzfahrtschiff als Wohnschiff – „SuperStar Libra" kommt nach Wismar und macht bei MV WERFTEN fest" (in German). 18 July 2018. Retrieved 19 July 2018.
- "SuperStar Libra's chefs clinch 17 awards at the 1st Battle of the Halal Chefs 2014" (PDF).
- "Star Cruises Scores New Success at this year's Battle of the Chefs with 27 medals" (PDF).
- "SuperStar Libra chefs scaled new heights with 25 Awards at the 2nd Penang International HALAL Chefs Challenge 2015" (PDF).
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Superstar Libra.|