This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Port of registry:||Nassau, Bahamas|
|Route:||1-Night Malaysia Cruise & 3-Night Thailand Cruise|
|Builder:||Wärtsilä Marine Perno Shipyard|
|Acquired:||16 May 1988|
|Out of service:||June 2018|
|Status:||Hotel ship for workers at MV Werften|
|Class and type:||Libra Class|
|Length:||709 ft (216 m)|
|Beam:||93 ft (28 m)|
SuperStar Libra is a cruise ship owned and last operated by Star Cruises. She was built in 1988 at Wärtsilä Marine Perno Shipyard in Turku, Finland as Seaward for Norwegian Cruise Line. In 1997 she was renamed Norwegian Sea, remaining in NCL fleet. In 2005 she was transferred to the fleet of Star Cruises.
The vessel entered operation with Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL) in 1988 as Seaward. The vessel was renamed Norwegian Sea in 1997. In 2005, the vessel was transferred to the Star Cruises fleet and renamed SuperStar Libra.
With Star Cruises, SuperStar Libra sailed a variety of cruises in the Mediterranean, Adriatic, Aegean and Guatemalan seas in the summer of 2006. The vessel deployed back to Mumbai in late September 2006. SuperStar Libra was based in Taiwan in 2007 and 2008 and sailed from Keelung; During November 2007- March 2008, SuperStar Libra sailed from Hong Kong and operates 2-7 Night Cruises to China,Vietnam and Taiwan.For part of the year and also from Singapore for November 2008 till January 2009. Since then, she has been laid up.
The ship restarted sailings from Keelung on 27 May 2009 till October 2009, operating one to three nights cruises to open sea, Ishigaki and Naha (Okinawa, Japan).
She was then be deployed to Singapore in November for 3 Nights KL & Penang or Langkawi Cruise / 4 night KL & Phuket Cruise till late December. After that, she was laid up in Port Klang again. In April 2010, SuperStar Libra sailed 1 Night Cruises from Hong Kong to the South China Sea to replace the SuperStar Aquarius which is in drydock.Afterwards,She sailed different sailings out of Japan and Taiwan during May–October 2010.
She sailed from Singapore to Thailand and Malaysia from November to December 2010, followed by a series of 1 and 3 cruises from Penang to Highseas, Phuket and Krabi throughout 2011.
She will continue to operate 1 Night Cruises to the Highseas and 3 Night Cruises to Phuket and Krabi departing from Penang, Malaysia until 31 December 2013.
She is bound for a refurbishment in January 2013 in Singapore. Her 1 night and 3 night cruises will be replaced by SuperStar Gemini during that period. she will be also going to Phuket and Yangon from Penang.
On 2015 24 July, SuperStar Libra will be homeported to Xiamen, China until 2015 1 November. The longest homeport of any industry cruise ship ever in Xiamen, SuperStar Libra will operate 3-day/2-night cruises to Penghu, Taiwan and 6-day/5-night cruises to Miyakojima and Naha, Okinawa in Japan throughout the summer and autumn.
On, 4 November 2015, SuperStar Libra homeported in Haikou, China at Hainan Province, to commence multiple short destination cruises to Halong Bay, Danang and Hue in Vietnam until 30 March 2016 for a new cruise season.
SuperStar Libra provided thrice-weekly cruises allowing cruise passengers the opportunity to set sail for a 3-Day/2-Night Cruise to Halong Bay every Wednesday and Friday or an alternate 4-Day/3-Night to Danang and Hue every Sunday.
On 22 September to June 2018, SuperStar Libra returned to her homeport in Penang providing 1 night Highseas cruise and 3 night cruises to Krabi, Phuket, Thailand or vice-versa (Phuket, Krabi).
Conversion to a Hotel Ship
In March 2018, Star Cruises announced that SuperStar Libra would end her public cruise operations for the company in June 2018.
As of July 2018 onwards, SuperStar Libra is now used as a hotel ship for workers at the shipyard MV Werften of the Genting-Hong-Kong-group in Wismar, Germany to help aid in Genting's new ships being build from this shipyard, for Dream Cruises and Crystal Cruises.
1st Battle of the Halal Chefs 2014
The chef team of SuperStar Libra emerged victorious at the 1st Battle of the Halal Chefs 2014. Together the culinary talent bagged a total of 17 awards at the sizzling culinary battle held from 17-19 Jan at Setia SPICE, Penang, Malaysia.
Battle of the Chefs 2014
The chefs of SuperStar Libra achieved new success at this year’s Battle of the Chefs 2014, clinching a total of 27 medals that include 1 Gold, 5 Silver and 21 Bronze, together with 14 diploma awards, as well as the Most Outstanding US Potatoes Master Chef Challenge Award.
2nd Penang International HALAL Chefs Challenge 2015
The chefs of SuperStar Libra won a total of 25 awards, which include 1 Gold, 8 Silver, 11 Bronze and 5 diplomas at the 2nd Penang International HALAL Chefs Challenge 2015 of which was held from 30 January to 1 February 2015 at the Subterranean Penang International Convention & Exhibition Centre (sPICE), Penang, Malaysia.
- 8 bars and restaurants
- Outdoor Swimming Pool, Jacuzzi, golf driving range, basketball court and jogging track, fitness centre and spa, observation deck and sun-bathing
- Open-style karaoke lounge, Show lounge with the entertainment and activities, Show lounge
- Duty-free shops
- "Archived copy" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2010-03-31. Retrieved 2010-07-23.
- "Archived copy" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2015-09-24. Retrieved 2012-09-15.
- "STAR CRUISES' SUPERSTAR LIBRA BEGINS HOMEPORT IN XIAMEN Longest homeport of any industry cruise ship in the city, from 24 July to 1 November" (PDF).
- "SuperStar Libra's New Homeport at Haikou | Press Release | Star Cruises". www.starcruises.com. Retrieved 2015-11-05.
- "SuperStar Libra's Penang itinerary from September 2016 to December 2017" (PDF).
- Staff, CIN (2018-03-02). "SuperStar Libra to End Public Cruise Operations". Retrieved 2018-03-03.
- "Kreuzfahrtschiff als Wohnschiff – „SuperStar Libra" kommt nach Wismar und macht bei MV WERFTEN fest" (in German). 2018-07-18. Retrieved 2018-07-19.
- "SuperStar Libra's chefs clinch 17 awards at the 1st Battle of the Halal Chefs 2014" (PDF).
- "Star Cruises Scores New Success at this year's Battle of the Chefs with 27 medals" (PDF).
- "SuperStar Libra chefs scaled new heights with 25 Awards at the 2nd Penang International HALAL Chefs Challenge 2015" (PDF).
- "SuperStar Libra Brochure - Homeported in Haikou, China" (PDF).
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Superstar Libra.|