Super 30 (film)
Theatrical release poster
|Written by||Sanjeev Dutta|
|Based on||Anand Kumar|
|Edited by||A. Sreekar Prasad|
|Distributed by||Reliance Entertainment|
|Box office||est. ₹143.87 crore|
Super 30 is a 2019 Indian Hindi-language biographical film directed by Vikas Bahl, based on the life of mathematician Anand Kumar and his educational program Super 30. The film stars Hrithik Roshan and Mrunal Thakur. The soundtrack is by Ajay-Atul and movie is co-produced by Sajid Nadiadwala. Super 30 will be Phantom Film's last production. The film was shot in Ramnagar Fort and in Sambhar Lake Town which was shown as Kota, Rajasthan. The film was theatrically released in India on 12 July 2019 and received mixed reviews.
- Hrithik Roshan as Anand Kumar
- Mrunal Thakur as Ritu Rashmi (Anand Kumar's love interest)
- Virendra Saxena as Rajendra Kumar (Anand Kumar's father)
- Nandish Singh as Pranav Kumar (Anand Kumar's brother)
- Pankaj Tripathi as Devraj Jagan Safdurjang (Local Minister) 
- Aditya Shrivastava as Lallan Singh (CEO of Excellence Coaching, Arch Rival of Anand Kumar)
- Amit Sadh as Raghunath
- Manav Gohil as Purushottam
- Rahul Raj as Kishore
- Deepali Gautam as Kusum
- Ali Haji
- Karishma Sharma (special appearance in song "Paisa")
Mrunal Thakur was cast opposite Hrithik Roshan in the film. The film was shot at Ramnagar Fort; part of the fort was converted to look like the Super 30 institute. The film was also shot for ten days in Sambhar Lake Town which was shown as Kota, Rajasthan and Jaipur. A set was erected in Mumbai at the cost of ₹10 crore to recreate Patna city of Bihar to facilitate shooting. In second schedule of Varanasi shooting, the film was shot at Banaras Hindu University in the end of June 2018. This was the first Hindi film that the university allowed to be shot at its campus. Filming was completed in September 2018.
|Soundtrack album by|
|Released||9 July 2019|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
|Label||Zee Music Company|
Ajay Atul composed the music for the film and lyrics are written by Amitabh Bhattacharya. Vipin Nair of The Hindu gave the soundtrack 3.5/5, calling it a "pretty engaging soundtrack ". The Times of India based Debarati Sen, in her review, said the composers "do not fail to impress".
|1.||"Jugraafiya"||Udit Narayan, Shreya Ghoshal||4:34|
|3.||"Basanti No Dance"||Prem Areni, Janardan Dhatrak, Divya Kumar, Chaitally Parmar||5:04|
|4.||"Question Mark"||Hrithik Roshan||2:49|
Marketing and release
The first look posters of Hrithik Roshan from Super 30 were unveiled on 5 September 2018 to coincide with the Teacher's Day in India. Second poster with new release date was revealed on 12 January 2rld.com/entertainment-news/bollywood-news/hrithik-roshans-super-30-gets-a-new-release-date-details-here|title=Bollywood actor Hrithik Roshan's much-anticipated venture 'Super 30' gets a new release date|website=Republic World|access-date=25 May 2019|date=12 January 2019}}</ref> Another look of Hrithik Roshan from the film unveiled in new poster on 2 June. The next day another poster with Roshan soaking in the rain of success with motto "Misaal Bano, Haqdaar Bano" (Be an example, be qualified) was released. one day later on 4 June official trailer of the film was released by Reliance Entertainment. It garnered 45 million views since its release on YouTube.
The film's producer reported that Hrithik Roshan will be accompanied by Anand Kumar for the promotion of Super 30.
The film was theatrically released in India on 12 July 2019, as the release date was advanced by fourteen days.
Sreeparna Sengupta of The Times of India gave the film three and a half stars out of five, ranking it high on performance she praised Hrithik Roshan, Pankaj Tripathi, Aditya Srivastava and cinematography of Anay Goswami. She felt that Super 30 had conveyed the message that though education is the privilege of people with good economic background, but if given the level field others too can shine equally bright. Concluding, she wrote "While the narrative does have its flaws, Super 30 is a human drama and the story of a teacher who triumphs over the many challenges that life throws at him, to set an example for the world to see. Just for that it’s worth a watch." Writing for the NDTV Saibal Chatterjee, rated it with two stars out of five and felt that erratic screenplay of Super 30 had 'skimmed the surface of a massive mound of tangled issues' and Hrithik Roshan was miscast as Anand Kumar. He opined that the major problem with the film was telling a true story, which was not convincing. He concluded the review as, "The idea to bronze up Hrithik Roshan so that he can impersonate Anand Kumar is anything but super: it is a formula that equals zero."  Samrudhi Ghosh of India Today rated it with two and a half stars out of five, agreeing with Sengupta praised the performances of Pankaj Tripathi and Aditya Srivastava. Ghosh felt that the film was lengthy and the director Vikas Bahl had aroused the dramatics without any need. Agreeing with Chatterjee, Ghosh opined, "Under the guidance of math wizard Anand Kumar, his Super 30 turned out to be miracles. Under the guidance of Vikas Bahl, Hrithik Roshan's Super 30 is far from one."
Priyanka Sinha Jha of CNN-News18, disagreeing with Ghosh praises Roshan and ensemble of Pankaj Tripathi, Virendra Saxena, Nandish Sandhu and Aditya Srivastav for their performances. She feels that Roshan has given an admirable performance. Agreeing with Sengupta she opines that education is a means to a better life, but is a privilege in itself, and that is what the film questions and challenges. She rates the film with three stars out of five, and concludes, "After all, as the famous saying goes—“Not all superheroes wear capes.” Super 30 is the story of one such.." Shubhra Gupta of The Indian Express gave two stars out of five and termed the film 'way less than super', she opined that if handled in right way, it would have been a 'rousing, goosebumps-inducing, cheer-athon.' She summarised by stating, "Yes, the real-life story is inspiring. But the telling of it is a drag. The film has its moments, which belong mostly to its young people: the kids are all right."
Raja Sen writing for Hindustan Times rated the film with two stars out of five and opined that when the extraordinary is exaggerated it becomes ordinary. He felt that the director Bahl addled it with decorative frills and turned it into a typical filmi fare. Ending his writing, he said, "Emotional manipulation gets in the way of inspiration in Vikas Bahl’s latest film starring Hrithik Roshan as maths genius Anand Kumar." Anna M. M. Vetticad of Firstpost concurred with Sen and Chatterjee, gave two stars out of five and felt that script and direction of the film lost focus. She praised the supporting cast and music of the film. Summing up she opined, ".... patchy storytelling and a narrow take on caste dilute a gutsy theme."
Super 30 collected ₹11.83 crore from India, and ₹6.18 crore from overseas on the opening day. Next day (Saturday) showing upward trend the film colllected ₹18.19 crore from India, and ₹5.46 crore from overseas. The film grossed ₹75.08 crore in the opening weekend, and ₹112.65 crore in the opening week worldwide.
As of 21 July 2019[update], with gross of ₹119.74 crore from India and ₹24.13 crore from overseas, the film has grossed ₹143.87 crore worldwide.
- Super 30, British Board of Film Classification, retrieved 6 July 2019
- "Super 30 Box Office". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 22 July 2019.
- "Bollywood Top Grossers Worldwide Bollywood Hungama". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 22 July 2019.
- "Super 30 first look: Anand Kumar says Hrithik Roshan's resemblance to him is 'uncanny'". Firstpost. 7 February 2018. Retrieved 9 February 2018.
- "Most talked about biopics you just cannot miss". The Times of India. 8 February 2018. Retrieved 9 February 2018.
- "Phantom Films Dissolved, Vikas Bahl's Super 30 will be Banner's Last Film". News18. Retrieved 19 November 2018.
- Shiksha, Shruti. "Hrithik Roshan's Super 30: Actress Mrunal Thakur Spotted On Set. See Pics". NDTV. Retrieved 9 February 2018.
- Iyer, Sanyukta (19 March 2018). "From Meghna Gulzar to Vikas Bahl, filmmakers explore the untapped interiors of India". Mumbai Mirror. Retrieved 25 March 2018.
- "Super 30 movie review and rating: Critics' verdict on Hrithik Roshan's film". IB Times. 11 July 2019. Retrieved 13 July 2019.
- "TV actress Mrunal Thakur to play a classical dancer in Hrithik Roshan's Super 30". dna. 2 July 2018. Retrieved 9 August 2018.
- "On sets: Hrithik Roshan loses weight for his role in Super 30". mid-day. 18 May 2018. Retrieved 9 August 2018.
- "Meet Nandish Singh, who plays Hrithik Roshan's brother in 'Super 30'". dnaindia.com. 2 March 2018. Retrieved 31 March 2018.
- "Pankaj Tripathi to play Hrithik Roshan aka Anand Kumar's arch-rival in Super 30". dna. 13 June 2018. Retrieved 9 August 2018.
- "Amit Sadh is the narrator for Hrithik Roshan-starrer Super 30". Mumbai Mirror. Retrieved 9 August 2018.
- "Super 30's Paisa Song: Hrithik Roshan Shows The Power Money Can Give!". 21 June 2019.
- "Super 30 new song Paisa: Hrithik Roshan as Anand Kumar shows importance of money". 22 June 2019.
- "Super 30: Kumkum Bhagya Star Mrunal Thakur To Play Hrithik Roshan's Love Interest In The Film?". CNN-News 18. 9 February 2018. Retrieved 9 February 2018.
- "Hrithik Roshan to kick-start the next schedule of Super 30 soon". Filmfare. 29 May 2018. Retrieved 26 May 2019.
- "Hrithik Roshan's 'Super 30' team to spend Rs 10 crore to recreate Bihar in Mumbai?". Times of India. 23 February 2018. Retrieved 25 May 2019.
- "Hrithik Roshan Starrer 'Super 30' team shoots at Banaras Hindu University". Times of India. 3 July 2019. Retrieved 25 May 2019.
- "It's A Wrap for Hrithik Roshan's Super 30; Celebrities Attend Bash". CNN-News 18. 6 September 2018. Retrieved 26 May 2019.
- "Super 30 - Original Motion Picture Soundtrack". Jio Saavn.
- Nair, Vipin (11 July 2019). "'Super 30' music review: Breezy blast from the past". The Hindu. ISSN 0971-751X. Retrieved 17 July 2019.
- "Super 30 – Music Review (Bollywood Soundtrack)". Music Aloud. 11 July 2019. Retrieved 17 July 2019.
- "Music review: Super 30 - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 17 July 2019.
- "Hrithik Roshan unveils posters of Super 30 on Teacher's Day". Indian Express. 5 September 2018. Retrieved 25 May 2019.
- Taran Adarsh [@taran_adarsh] (2 June 2019). "Hrithik Roshan... First look poster of #Super30... 12 July 2019 release. t.co/rFVBjh8efV" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- "'Super 30': Hrithik Roshan releases new poster with new release date; Vikas Bahl back as director". DNS. Retrieved 2 June 2019.
- "Hrithik Roshan inspires youngsters with new poster of Super 30: Misaal Bano, Haqdaar Bano". India Today. 3 June 2019. Retrieved 4 June 2019.
- "Super 30 Official Trailer | Hrithik Roshan | Vikas Bahl | July 12". YouTube. Reliance Entertainment. 4 June 2019.
- "Super 30 promotions will see Hrithik Roshan and Anand Kumar together". India Today. Retrieved 13 April 2019.
- "Hrithik Roshan's Super 30 finally gets a release date". Filmfare. 23 May 2019. Retrieved 24 May 2019.
- "Super 30". Rotten Tomatoes. Fandango Media. Retrieved 13 July 2019.
- Sengupta, Sreeparna (11 July 2019). "Super 30 Movie Review". The Times of India. Retrieved 12 July 2019.
- Chatterjee, Saibal (12 July 2019). "Super 30 Movie Review: Bronzing Hrithik Roshan Up To Play Anand Kumar Is A Formula That Equals Zero". NDTV. Retrieved 12 July 2019.
- Ghosh, Samrudhi (11 July 2019). "Super 30 Movie Review: Hrithik Roshan is sincere as Anand Kumar, Vikas Bahl's story not quite". India Today. Retrieved 12 July 2019.
- Sinha Jha, Priyanka (12 July 2019). "Super 30 Movie Review: Hrithik Roshan Fills Colours in this Underdog Story". CNN-News18. Retrieved 12 July 2019.
- Gupta, Shubhra (12 July 2019). "Super 30 movie review: The Hrithik Roshan starrer is way less than super". The Indian Express. Retrieved 12 July 2019.
- Sen, Raja (12 July 2019). "Super 30 movie review: Hrithik Roshan tries hard in this ordinary film about an extraordinary man". Hindustan Times. Retrieved 12 July 2019.
- M. M. Vetticad, Anna (12 July 2019). "Super 30 movie review: Hrithik in brownface, patchy storytelling and a narrow take on caste dilute a gutsy theme". Firstpost. Retrieved 12 July 2019.
- Taran Adarsh [@taran_adarsh] (13 July 2019). "#Super30 Overseas Day 1: $902k [₹ 6.18 cr]... Key markets... North America: $ 226k Middle East:Thu $ 192k, Fri $ 331k UK: $ 35k ANZ and Fiji: $ 47k Rest of the world: $ 71k" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- Taran Adarsh [@taran_adarsh] (14 July 2019). "#Super30 - Overseas... Day 1: $ 902k Day 2: $ 795k Total: $ 1.697 million [₹ 11.64 cr]" (Tweet) – via Twitter.