Super 30 (film)
Theatrical release poster
|Written by||Sanjeev Dutta|
|Based on||Anand Kumar|
|Edited by||A. Sreekar Prasad|
|Distributed by||Reliance Entertainment|
|Budget||₹60–65 crore[better source needed]|
|Box office||est. ₹208.90 crore|
Super 30 is a 2019 Indian Hindi-language biographical film directed by Vikas Bahl, based on the life of mathematician Anand Kumar and his educational program Super 30. The film stars Hrithik Roshan and Mrunal Thakur. The soundtrack is by Ajay-Atul and movie is co-produced by Sajid Nadiadwala. Super 30 was Phantom Film's last production. The film was shot in Ramnagar Fort and in Sambhar Lake Town which was shown as Kota, Rajasthan. The film was theatrically released in India on 12 July 2019 and received mixed reviews. It entered the 100 crore club on 21 July 2019, and became the seventh-highest-grossing Hindi film of 2019.
Anand Kumar is a lower-class student who has a passion in studies and is good at it. The local minister, proud of him, promises for help whenever needed. Anand Kumar also has a friend, Ritu Rashmi,with whom he spends time. Anand, every weekend, goes to another city's library to solve a foreign Math journal. One day, the manager finally catches him, and says that he has no right to read there. One staff member suggests him to get featured in an article on the newspaper, so that he becomes famous and will get free subscription of the journal. Anand goes to the post-office, where his father works as the head. He then gets featured in the newspaper for solving some tough Math problems. He gets a letter from Professor Richard of Cambridge University to come there. But, Anand needs money to travel. He and his father go the local minister but he denies any promise. They both further try to have money but remain helpless, and get depressed. And one day, Anand's father dies of a heart attack. Anand refuses to go to Cambridge due to his father's death and financial condition.
He then sells papads in the city. One day, he meets Lallan Singh, an assistant of the local minister. Lallan takes Anand as a teacher in his coaching centre, Excellence Coaching Centre. There, Anand sees the plight of a boy who had to leave due to poverty. He thinks that these poor kids also have a right to study. Hence, he leaves Excellence and starts a separate tuition for poor kids, in which he enrolls 30 kids at a time. He teaches them to learn everything practically and have the concepts clear in an easy and fun way. This all enrages Lallan, whose centre is facing criticism for not retaining Anand. In course of the tuition, Anand gets immense help from his brother Pranav and mother. Lallan and the local minister plan to have Anand killed so that his kids won't be entering IIT. Anand is hurt brutally, and is hospitalised, on verge of death. Anand tells his students to then use their knowledge to defeat the goons sent by the minister, while he is being treated. The students, in unity, use their knowledge and defeat the goons and Anand is treated successfully. The students give the IIT exam and all 30 students pass successfully.
- Hrithik Roshan as Anand Kumar
- Mrunal Thakur as Supriya
- Virendra Saxena as Rajendra Kumar
- Nandish Singh as Pranav Kumar
- Pankaj Tripathi as Devraj Jagan Safdurjang, a local Minister
- Aditya Shrivastava as Lallan Singh
- Amit Sadh as Raghunath
- Manav Gohil as Purushottam
- Rahul Raj as Kishore
- Deepali Gautam as Kusum
- Ali Haji
- Rajesh Sharma as Bachchi
- Karishma Sharma (special appearance in item number "Paisa")
Mrunal Thakur was cast opposite Hrithik Roshan in the film. The film was shot at Ramnagar Fort; part of the fort was converted to look like the Super 30 institute. The film was also shot for ten days in Sambhar Lake Town which was shown as Kota, Rajasthan and Jaipur. A set was erected in Mumbai at the cost of ₹10 crore to recreate Patna city of Bihar to facilitate shooting. In second schedule of Varanasi shooting, the film was shot at Banaras Hindu University in the end of June 2018. This was the first Hindi film that the university allowed to be shot at its campus. Filming was completed in September 2018.
|Soundtrack album by|
|Released||9 July 2019|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
|Label||Zee Music Company|
Ajay Atul composed the music for the film and lyrics are written by Amitabh Bhattacharya. Vipin Nair of The Hindu gave the soundtrack 3.5/5, calling it a "pretty engaging soundtrack ". The Times of India based Debarati Sen, in her review, said the composers "do not fail to impress".
|1.||"Jugraafiya"||Udit Narayan, Shreya Ghoshal||4:34|
|3.||"Basanti No Dance"||Prem Areni, Janardan Dhatrak, Divya Kumar, Chaitally Parmar||5:04|
|4.||"Question Mark"||Hrithik Roshan||2:49|
Marketing and release
The first look posters of Hrithik Roshan from Super 30 were unveiled on 5 September 2018 to coincide with the Teacher's Day in India. Second poster with new release date was revealed on 12 January 2019. Another look of Hrithik Roshan from the film unveiled in new poster on 2 June. The next day another poster with Roshan soaking in the rain of success with motto "Misaal Bano, Haqdaar Bano" (Be an example, be qualified) was released. one day later on 4 June official trailer of the film was released by Reliance Entertainment. It garnered 45 million views since its release on YouTube.
The film's producer reported that Hrithik Roshan will be accompanied by Anand Kumar for the promotion of Super 30.
The film was theatrically released in India on 12 July 2019, as the release date was advanced by fourteen days.
Sreeparna Sengupta of The Times of India gave the film three and a half stars out of five, and praised Hrithik Roshan, Pankaj Tripathi, Aditya Srivastava and cinematography of Anay Goswami. She felt that Super 30 conveyed the message that though education is the privilege of people with good economic background, but, if given the level field others too can shine equally. Concluding, she wrote "While the narrative does have its flaws, Super 30 is a human drama and the story of a teacher who triumphs over the many challenges that life throws at him, to set an example for the world to see. Just for that it’s worth a watch." Writing for the NDTV Saibal Chatterjee, rated it with two stars out of five and felt that erratic screenplay of Super 30 had 'skimmed the surface of a massive mound of tangled issues', and that Hrithik Roshan was miscast as Anand Kumar. He opined that the major problem with the film was telling a true story, which was not convincing. He concluded the review as, "The idea to bronze up Hrithik Roshan so that he can impersonate Anand Kumar is anything but super: it is a formula that equals zero."  Samrudhi Ghosh of India Today rated it with two and a half stars out of five, but praised the performances of Pankaj Tripathi and Aditya Srivastava. Ghosh felt the film was lengthy and had aroused the dramatics without need, saying "Under the guidance of math wizard Anand Kumar, his Super 30 turned out to be miracles. Under the guidance of Vikas Bahl, Hrithik Roshan's Super 30 is far from one."
Priyanka Sinha Jha of CNN-News18, disagreeing with Ghosh praises Roshan and ensemble of Pankaj Tripathi, Virendra Saxena, Nandish Sandhu and Aditya Srivastav for their performances. She feels that Roshan has given an admirable performance. Agreeing with Sengupta she opines that education is a means to a better life, but is a privilege in itself, and that is what the film questions and challenges. She rates the film with three stars out of five, and concludes, "After all, as the famous saying goes—“Not all superheroes wear capes.” Super 30 is the story of one such.." Shubhra Gupta of The Indian Express gave two stars out of five and termed the film 'way less than super', she opined that if handled in right way, it would have been a 'rousing, goosebumps-inducing, cheer-athon.' She summarised by stating, "Yes, the real-life story is inspiring. But the telling of it is a drag. The film has its moments, which belong mostly to its young people: the kids are all right."
Super 30 collected ₹11.83 crore from India, and ₹6.18 crore from overseas on the opening day. Next day (Saturday) showing upward trend the film colllected ₹18.19 crore from India, and ₹5.46 crore from overseas. The film grossed ₹75.08 crore in the opening weekend, and ₹112.65 crore in the opening week worldwide.
- Super 30, British Board of Film Classification, retrieved 6 July 2019
- "Super 30: Hrithik Roshan Starrer Is Made At THIS Budget & Not 110 Or 120 Crores?". www.koimoi.com. Koimoi. Retrieved 13 August 2019.
- "Super 30 Box Office". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 14 August 2019.
- "Bollywood Top Grossers Worldwide Bollywood Hungama". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 15 August 2019.
- "Super 30 first look: Anand Kumar says Hrithik Roshan's resemblance to him is 'uncanny'". Firstpost. 7 February 2018. Retrieved 9 February 2018.
- "Most talked about biopics you just cannot miss". The Times of India. 8 February 2018. Retrieved 9 February 2018.
- "Phantom Films Dissolved, Vikas Bahl's Super 30 will be Banner's Last Film". News18. Retrieved 19 November 2018.
- Shiksha, Shruti. "Hrithik Roshan's Super 30: Actress Mrunal Thakur Spotted On Set. See Pics". NDTV. Retrieved 9 February 2018.
- Iyer, Sanyukta (19 March 2018). "From Meghna Gulzar to Vikas Bahl, filmmakers explore the untapped interiors of India". Mumbai Mirror. Retrieved 25 March 2018.
- "Super 30 movie review and rating: Critics' verdict on Hrithik Roshan's film". IB Times. 11 July 2019. Retrieved 13 July 2019.
- "On sets: Hrithik Roshan loses weight for his role in Super 30". mid-day. 18 May 2018. Retrieved 9 August 2018.
- "Meet Nandish Singh, who plays Hrithik Roshan's brother in 'Super 30'". dnaindia.com. 2 March 2018. Retrieved 31 March 2018.
- "Pankaj Tripathi to play Hrithik Roshan aka Anand Kumar's arch-rival in Super 30". dna. 13 June 2018. Retrieved 9 August 2018.
- "Amit Sadh is the narrator for Hrithik Roshan-starrer Super 30". Mumbai Mirror. Retrieved 9 August 2018.
- "Super 30's Paisa Song: Hrithik Roshan Shows The Power Money Can Give!". 21 June 2019.
- "Super 30 new song Paisa: Hrithik Roshan as Anand Kumar shows importance of money". 22 June 2019.
- "Super 30: Kumkum Bhagya Star Mrunal Thakur To Play Hrithik Roshan's Love Interest In The Film?". CNN-News 18. 9 February 2018. Retrieved 9 February 2018.
- "Hrithik Roshan to kick-start the next schedule of Super 30 soon". Filmfare. 29 May 2018. Retrieved 26 May 2019.
- "Hrithik Roshan's 'Super 30' team to spend Rs 10 crore to recreate Bihar in Mumbai?". Times of India. 23 February 2018. Retrieved 25 May 2019.
- "Hrithik Roshan Starrer 'Super 30' team shoots at Banaras Hindu University". Times of India. 3 July 2019. Retrieved 25 May 2019.
- "It's A Wrap for Hrithik Roshan's Super 30; Celebrities Attend Bash". CNN-News 18. 6 September 2018. Retrieved 26 May 2019.
- "Super 30 - Original Motion Picture Soundtrack". Jio Saavn.
- Nair, Vipin (11 July 2019). "'Super 30' music review: Breezy blast from the past". The Hindu. ISSN 0971-751X. Retrieved 17 July 2019.
- "Super 30 – Music Review (Bollywood Soundtrack)". Music Aloud. 11 July 2019. Retrieved 17 July 2019.
- "Music review: Super 30 - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 17 July 2019.
- "Hrithik Roshan unveils posters of Super 30 on Teacher's Day". Indian Express. 5 September 2018. Retrieved 25 May 2019.
- "Bollywood actor Hrithik Roshan's much-anticipated venture 'Super 30' gets a new release date". Republic World. 12 January 2019. Retrieved 25 May 2019.
- Taran Adarsh [@taran_adarsh] (2 June 2019). "Hrithik Roshan... First look poster of #Super30... 12 July 2019 release. t.co/rFVBjh8efV" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- "'Super 30': Hrithik Roshan releases new poster with new release date; Vikas Bahl back as director". DNS. Retrieved 2 June 2019.
- "Hrithik Roshan inspires youngsters with new poster of Super 30: Misaal Bano, Haqdaar Bano". India Today. 3 June 2019. Retrieved 4 June 2019.
- "Super 30 Official Trailer | Hrithik Roshan | Vikas Bahl | July 12". YouTube. Reliance Entertainment. 4 June 2019.
- "Super 30 promotions will see Hrithik Roshan and Anand Kumar together". India Today. Retrieved 13 April 2019.
- "Hrithik Roshan's Super 30 finally gets a release date". Filmfare. 23 May 2019. Retrieved 24 May 2019.
- "Super 30". Rotten Tomatoes. Fandango Media. Retrieved 13 July 2019.
- Sengupta, Sreeparna (11 July 2019). "Super 30 Movie Review". The Times of India. Retrieved 12 July 2019.
- Chatterjee, Saibal (12 July 2019). "Super 30 Movie Review: Bronzing Hrithik Roshan Up To Play Anand Kumar Is A Formula That Equals Zero". NDTV. Retrieved 12 July 2019.
- Ghosh, Samrudhi (11 July 2019). "Super 30 Movie Review: Hrithik Roshan is sincere as Anand Kumar, Vikas Bahl's story not quite". India Today. Retrieved 12 July 2019.
- Sinha Jha, Priyanka (12 July 2019). "Super 30 Movie Review: Hrithik Roshan Fills Colours in this Underdog Story". CNN-News18. Retrieved 12 July 2019.
- Gupta, Shubhra (12 July 2019). "Super 30 movie review: The Hrithik Roshan starrer is way less than super". The Indian Express. Retrieved 12 July 2019.
- Taran Adarsh [@taran_adarsh] (13 July 2019). "#Super30 Overseas Day 1: $902k [₹ 6.18 cr]... Key markets... North America: $ 226k Middle East:Thu $ 192k, Fri $ 331k UK: $ 35k ANZ and Fiji: $ 47k Rest of the world: $ 71k" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- Taran Adarsh [@taran_adarsh] (14 July 2019). "#Super30 - Overseas... Day 1: $ 902k Day 2: $ 795k Total: $ 1.697 million [₹ 11.64 cr]" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- "Super 30". Hotstar. September 2019. Retrieved 10 September 2019.