Premier Handball League
This article needs to be updated.January 2019)(
|Current season, competition or edition:|
|Number of teams||8|
|Relegation to||Championship North, Championship South|
|Level on pyramid||Level 1|
|Domestic cup(s)||EHA National Cup|
|International cup(s)||EHF Cup|
EHF Challenge Cup
|Current champions||Warrington Wolves|
|Most championships||London GD Handball Club (10 titles)|
The Premier Handball League was formerly known as the Super 8, and was re-branded for the 2017/18 season
|1978||Kirkby Select||Brentwood '72|
|1979||Brentwood '72||Kirkby Select|
|1980||Brentwood '72||Kirkby Select|
|from 1990 to 1999 : unknown|
|2000||Great Dane (London)||Ruislip Eagles|
|2001||Great Dane (London)||Ruislip Eagles|
|2005||Great Dane (London)||Heathrow|
|2006||Oxford University||University of Manchester|
|2007||University of Manchester||Great Dane HC London|
|2008||Great Dane (London)||University of Manchester|
|2009||Great Dane (London)||Olympia HC|
|2010||London GD||Olympia HC|
|2011||London GD||Ruislip Eagles|
|2015||Warrington Wolves||London GD||Coventry|
|2016||London GD||Olympia HC||Manchester|
|2017||Warrington Wolves||NEM Hawks||Coventry|
|2018||London GD||Olympia HC||Liverpool|
Data sources: 1975-1976 Wirral Handball Club Clubs and Honours; 1977-1982 Midlands Handball Association (1982) Handball Directory. page 12.; 1983 British Handball Association Word is ... No.5 page 3; 2006 Oxford University Handball Club Entries for Great Dane & 2009
The league consists of 8 teams which play each other twice in a season, once at each club's home venue. 3 points are awarded for each win, 2 points for a draw, and 1 point for a loss. Should the situation occur that two or more clubs finish with the same number of points, their final positions shall be determined by (and in the following order): a. goal difference; b. taking into account the results of the headtohead Super 8 matches between the clubs concerned; c. goals scored; d. further matches played at a neutral venue.
The team finishing bottom of the Men's Premier Handball League (8th Place) will be relegated directly to their nearest Championship League (North or South). Following the final matches of the Championship, a series of playoff matches will take place to determine the club which will be promoted to the following season's Super 8. The top 2 clubs from each Championship league will play 2 semifinals as follows:
- North 1 v South 2
- South 1 v North 2.
The winners of the above semifinals will then play one match to determine the promotion spot.
The Premier Handball League contributes teams to European Handball Federation club competitions. The England Handball Association is awarded places in European competition based on its EHF coefficient rank. Currently the Premier Handball League provides 1 team to the EHF Cup and 3 teams to the EHF Challenge Cup
Teams for the 2016/17 season:
- Cambridge HC
- Coventry Sharks
- London GD Handball Club
- NEM Hawks
- Olympia HC
- Warrington Wolves
- West London Eagles
- 2014/15 - Warrington Wolves
- 2015/16 - London GD Handball Club
- 2016/17 - Warrington Wolves 
- Association, England Handball. "Champions Wolves face promoted Liverpool in Premier Handball League op - England Handball Association". www.englandhandball.com.
- "Clubs and Honours". Wirralhandballclub.tripod.com. Retrieved 20 August 2012.
- "MA+Directory++p12.jpg (image)". 1.bp.blogspot.com. Retrieved 20 August 2012.
- Hadd, Russell (9 March 2009). "British Handball History: British Cup and League Tables 1983". Britishhandballmemories.blogspot.com. Retrieved 20 August 2012.
- "Rules and Regulations" (PDF). England Handball Association. August 2016.
- "European Cup 2016/2017" (PDF). European Handball Federation. 6 March 2015.
- Association, England Handball. "Mens' Super-8: Champions Wolves win, Hawks finish second - England Handball Association". www.englandhandball.com.