Super Bad (song)
|"Super Bad (Part 1 & Part 2)"|
|Single by James Brown|
|B-side||"Super Bad (Part 3)"|
|Recorded||June 30, 1970, Starday-King Studios, Nashville, TN|
|James Brown charting singles chronology|
"Super Bad" is a 1970 James Brown song. Originally released as a three-part single, it went to #1 on the R&B chart and number 13 on the Billboard Hot 100. The song's lyrics include the refrain "I've got soul and I'm super bad." The positive use of the word "bad" is an example of linguistic reappropriation, which Brown had done before in "Say It Loud - I'm Black and I'm Proud".
The 1987 UK No 1. MARRS song Pump Up the Volume samples the "Watch Me" vocal part of the song.
- James Brown - lead vocal
with The J.B.'s:
- Clayton "Chicken" Gunnells - trumpet
- Darryl "Hasaan" Jamison - trumpet
- Robert McCollough - tenor saxophone
- Bobby Byrd - organ
- Phelps "Catfish" Collins - guitar
- William "Bootsy" Collins - bass
- John "Jabo" Starks - drums
- Johnny Griggs - congas
|U.S. Billboard Hot 100||13|
|U.S. Billboard R&B||1|
"I'll Be There" by The Jackson 5
|Billboard's Best Selling Soul number one single
November 21, 1970 - November 28, 1970
"The Tears of a Clown" by Smokey Robinson & the Miracles
Appearances and references in media
- The song is prominently featured in the film The New Guy.
- In a Boondocks strip, Michael Caesar interrupts his elementary school class to recite the song lyrics.
- An exclusive remix of this song was featured on the video game Gran Turismo 4.
- A dance remix of this song was featured on the soundtrack to the 2005 animated film Robots.
- The song is featured in the film White Men Can't Jump.
- The Dutch techno band Human Resource used a lyrical interpolation of James Brown's "I wanna kiss myself" for their 1991 hardcore track Dominator.
- The song is featured in the 1996 film The Nutty Professor, where Reggie Warrington (Dave Chappelle) uses it as his theme song.
- The song is featured in the 1999 film Bowfinger.
- The song is featured heavily in the 2011 commercials for the Toronto Blue Jays on Rogers Sportsnet
- The song is featured in a 2011 commercial for Gatorade.
- The song is featured in one of the first segments of Ken Burns' Baseball: The Tenth Inning.
- The song provided the title for both the novel Superbad by Ben Greenman and the Judd Apatow film of the same name.
- The song was released as downloadable content for Rock Band 3 in August 2, 2011.
- The song was featured on NASCAR on Fox promos in 2001.
- White, Cliff (1991). "Discography". In Star Time (pp. 54–59) [CD booklet]. New York: PolyGram Records.
- Whitburn, Joel (2004). Top R&B/Hip-Hop Singles: 1942-2004. Record Research. p. 84.
- The Best of Soul Train Live (booklet). Time Life. 2011.
- Leeds, Alan, and Harry Weinger (1991). "Star Time: Song by Song". In Star Time (pp. 46–53) [CD booklet]. New York: PolyGram Records.