|Location||Leça do Balio, Portugal|
|Owner(s)||Unicer Bebidas de Portugal, SGPS, SA|
Super Bock is a Portuguese beer brand from the Unicer brewery which produces a range of beers under the same name. Established in 1927, Super Bock maintains a leading position in the market and it is among the favourite beer brands of the Portuguese. It is also the best-selling Portuguese beer in the world.
Super Bock was created in 1927 and, in 1967, its first adverts were launched under the slogan "The beer that goes beyond your expectations". During the 70s, the company launched a distribution network in Lisbon with 12 delivery vans.
In 1992, Super Bock became the market leader in Portugal, maintaining the preference of beer consumers until today. In 1995, Super Bock was the first Portuguese brand to use product naming in a music festival. Thus, Super Bock Super Rock came to be the biggest rock festival to be held in Portugal and the only one to celebrate 20 consecutive years of the best music. In 1998 and 2001, Super Bock sponsors two of the largest Portuguese cultural events ever: Expo'98 and Porto 2001 (European Capital of Culture).
Super Bock Stout, launched in 2003, sold five million litters with three months of market presence, the value the group estimated to achieve by the end of that year. That same year, the brand entered the segment of non-alcoholic beers with Super Bock Twin. The following year, 2004, Super Bock Green was launched, marking the beginning of a new segment in the beer market in Portugal: beer mixers (flavoured beers).
In 2006, two new beers are launched: Super Bock Tango, the first "gooseberry beer" produced in Portugal, and Abadia, a craft beer recipe – which achieved the highest market share among new releases.
Super Bock is available in several varieties, including:
- Original (5.2% ABV): A lager beer.
- Classic (5.8% ABV): A strong lager beer.
- Abadia (6.4% ABV): A dark, wheat-based beer.
- Stout (5% ABV): A black beer.
- Green (4% ABV): A sweet pils with lemon flavouring.
- Sem Álcool: Non-alcoholic variant.
- "Super Bock: Characteristics". Official Website.
- "'Super Bock' leads 'ranking' of drinks in Portugal" (in Portuguese). Diário de Notícias. March 7, 2005. Retrieved November 13, 2015.
- "Super Bock maintains the leadership in the space occupied in linear" (in Portuguese). Marktest. June 17, 2014. Retrieved November 13, 2015.
- "Brands – Beer: Super Bock". Official Website of Unicer.
- "Case Study: Super Bock" (in Portuguese). Superbrands Portugal. Retrieved November 26, 2015.
- "History". Super Bock Super Rock Official Website.
- "Super Bock Super Rock Festival celebrates 20 years in Parque das Nações" (in Portuguese). Negócios. December 3, 2014. Retrieved November 26, 2015.
- "History: World Expo’98". Parque Expo Official Website.
- "2001 Year Review – Porto Capital of Culture" (in Portuguese). SIC. August 2, 2012. Retrieved November 26, 2015.
- Bárbara Leite (May 21, 2003). "Super Bock Stout reaches annual sales targets in three months" (in Portuguese). Negócios. Retrieved November 26, 2015.
- "Super Bock will launch non-alcoholic beer" (in Portuguese). TVI 24. March 2, 2005. Retrieved November 26, 2015.
- Paula Brito (April 5, 2004). "Unicer invests 3 million in the launch of the new Super Bock" (in Portuguese). Negócios. Retrieved November 26, 2015.
- Rita Gonçalves (March 23, 2006). "Unicer launches beer with gooseberry" (in Portuguese). Hipersuper. Retrieved November 27, 2015.
- Catarina Craveiro (March 23, 2006). "Abadia is the most successful release of Unicer" (in Portuguese). TVI 24. Retrieved November 27, 2015.