Super Bowl LVIII
|TV in the United States|
Super Bowl LVIII, the 58th Super Bowl and the 54th modern-era National Football League (NFL) championship game, will decide the league champion for the 2023 NFL season. The game is scheduled to be played in February 2024.
Super Bowl LVIII, along with Super Bowl LVII, was part of a new awarding process implemented by the league. In the previous process, cities that wished to host a Super Bowl submitted bids, which were deliberated and voted upon at the league owners' meetings. The new process no longer allows cities to bid for the game; the league now chooses the potential candidates. On May 23, 2018, the league selected New Orleans as the site for Super Bowl LVIII.
In March 2020, the league and the National Football League Players Association agreed to expand the regular season from 16 to 17 games beginning in 2021 at the earliest; this would push Super Bowl LVIII to February 11, 2024 and cause a conflict with New Orleans' Mardi Gras celebrations. It was reported that the league might consider moving Super Bowl LVIII to another city and award New Orleans the following Super Bowl LIX.
On October 14, 2020, the league confirmed that due to this potential scheduling conflict New Orleans would not host Super Bowl LVIII. The city will instead host Super Bowl LIX and the venue for Super Bowl LVIII would be announced at a later date.
- Teope, Herbie. "Arizona, New Orleans chosen as Super Bowl hosts". NFL.com. Retrieved May 23, 2018.
- Middlehurst-Schwartz, Michael (April 3, 2020). "NFL weighs moving 2024 Super Bowl from New Orleans due to potential Mardi Gras conflict". USA Today. Retrieved October 14, 2020.
- Florio, Mike (April 3, 2020). "New Orleans may lose Super Bowl LVIII, gain Super Bowl LIX". Pro Football Talk. Retrieved October 14, 2020.
- "New Orleans to host 2025 Super Bowl; 2024 SB now TBD". www.nfl.com. Retrieved October 14, 2020.
- Howard, Chelsea (March 6, 2019). "Next NFL TV deal could end AFC, NFC split on Sunday afternoons, report says". Sporting News.
- Burack, Bobby (March 27, 2019). "ESPN/ABC Have a Chance to get into the Super Bowl Rotation, And One Path Looks the Clearest". The Big Lead.