Super Extra Bonus Party
|Super Extra Bonus Party|
Super Extra Bonus Party
|Origin||Newbridge, Kildare, Ireland|
|Years active||2005–2011; 2015 - present|
|Labels||Alphabet Set PIE|
|Past members||Cons Henry
Super Extra Bonus Party are a Choice Music Prize winning indie-electronica band, formed in November 2005 and based in Kildare, Ireland. Their music spanned various genres such as electronica, indie and hip hop. Their debut album Super Extra Bonus Party LP was released to widespread critical acclaim, winning the 2007 Choice Music Prize and considered "the most inventive Irish album this decade."
Aside from headline shows, the band played with the likes of The Go! Team, Cadence Weapon, Bonde do Rolê, Subtle and Alec Empire as well as slots at Electric Picnic in 2007 and 2008. The band's second album, Night Horses, was released in 2009. Super Extra Bonus Party announced an indefinite hiatus in 2011. The band has recently reconvened with new material set to surface in 2016.
The band first started as a duo, with Cormac and Mike producing electronic music under the moniker Illegal Kids.
In 2005, Stephen joined the group, the group's name was changed to Super Extra Bonus Party and a demo was put together. Shortly afterwards, Brazilian MC Rodrigo and Gavin joined the band and they began to work on a debut album. The lads worked real hard recording the album, consuming many cans of lager in a shed with shovels.
The debut album was written, recorded and produced in the house where the band lived together in late 2006 and early 2007.
After the release of Super Extra Bonus Party LP, the line-up was supplemented by Steve Conlan on guitar and Cons Henry on drums, which also expanded their live show significantly.
In late 2007, Cons Henry left the band to concentrate on other commitments. Gary Clarke was brought in as a replacement.
In May 2009, they released their second album, Night Horses, which features contributions from Cadence Weapon, Mr. Lif, Heathers, May Kay of Fight Like Apes, R.S.A.G, Captain Moonlight, Ann Scott and White Noise.
In June 2011, Super Extra Bonus Party announced an indefinite hiatus.
In March 2015, a picture was posted of the group together and an announcement was made that the band had reconvened. They are currently at work on the follow up to Night Horses with the working title of 'Led Zeppelin Vol.4'
|Super Extra Bonus Party discography|
|Year||Album details||Peak chart positions|
|2007||Super Extra Bonus Party LP
|"—" denotes a title that did not chart.|
- Appetite for Reconstruction (Remix LP) (2008)
- Super Extra Bonus Party EP (2006)
- Everything Flows EP 12" (2008)
- "Propeller" music video
- "Everything Flows" music video
- "Remix Album Appetite for Reconstruction & Launch Night Review"
- "SEBP Announce New Album"
- SEBP Single Giveaway!
- "Shock result in Choice Music Prize". RTÉ. 28 February 2008. Retrieved 28 February 2008.
- "Super Extra Bonus Party win Choice Music Prize". The Belfast Telegraph. 28 February 2008. Retrieved 28 February 2008.[dead link]
- Mullally, Una, "Record Reviews" Sunday Tribune July 27, 2007.
- Elusive Recordings, "Elusive Recordings" Elusive2004
- Alphabet Set, "Alphabet Set Releases" Alphabet Set2004
- "Super Extra Bonus Party win Choice Music Prize". Irish Independent. 28 February 2008. Retrieved 28 February 2008.
- "Super Extra Bonus Party Hang Up Their Hurleys". Hot Press. 3 June 2011. Retrieved 27 November 2011.