Super League IV
|Number of teams||14|
Bradford Bulls vs Leeds Rhinos (3 Sept)
Gateshead Thunder vs Hull Sharks (19 May)
|Broadcast partners||Sky Sports|
|League Leaders||Bradford Bulls|
|Man of Steel||Adrian Vowles|
|Top point-scorer(s)||Iestyn Harris (325)|
|Top try-scorer(s)||Toa Kohe-Love (25)|
|Merger with Hull
Merger with Huddersfield
| Gateshead Thunder;
JJB Sports Super League IV was the official name for the year 1999's Super League championship season, the 105th season of top-level professional rugby league football in Britain, and the fourth championship run by Super League. The start of Super League IV saw the emergence of a North East based Rugby League Club, Gateshead Thunder as well as newly promoted Wakefield Trinity Wildcats to expand the league to fourteen teams.
- The 40/20 rule was introduced to reward accurate kicking in general play. The rule, which had been used in Australia since 1997, gave the head and feed at the resulting scrum to a team that kicked the ball from behind their 40-metre line so that it bounced in the field of play before going into touch behind their opponent's 20 metre line.
Super League IV Table
Regular Season Final Standings
|9||Halifax Blue Sox||30||11||0||19||573||792||-219||22|
|11||Wakefield Trinity Wildcats||30||10||0||20||608||795||-187||20|
|12||Salford City Reds||30||6||1||23||526||916||-390||13|
|Qualifying / Elimination play-offs||Qualifying / Elimination semi-finals||Final eliminator||Grand Final|
|St Helens||4||GF: 9 October 1999|
|2||St Helens||38||St Helens||36|
|3||Leeds Rhinos||14||ESF:||Castleford Tigers||6|
End of season mergers
Huddersfield managed to avoid relegation again despite finishing bottom due to the merger with Sheffield Eagles to form Huddersfield-Sheffield Giants. Also at the end of this season Gateshead Thunder and Hull Sharks were merged to form Hull F.C. with no attempt made to maintain any association with Gateshead, Gateshead Thunder would later reform in the National Leagues.
- Andy Wilson (2004-08-09). "Moran leaves Vikings with a sinking feeling". The Guardian. Retrieved 2009-05-06.
- Dave Hadfield (1999-05-24). "Saints restore faith in game with emphasis on attack". The Independent. Retrieved 2009-05-06.
- de la Riviere, Richard, ed. (2009). Top ten: Rugby league rules. Rugby League World (340) (Brighouse, UK: League Publications, published August 2009). p. 61. ISSN 1466-0105.
- BBC Sport (2005-09-12). "The 40/20 kick". British Broadcasting Corporation. Retrieved 2009-09-23.
- "St. Helens 8-6 Bradford". Rugby League World. 1999-10-09. Retrieved 2007-08-09.