Super League IV
|Number of teams||14|
Bradford Bulls vs Leeds Rhinos (3 Sept)
Gateshead Thunder vs Hull Sharks (19 May)
|Broadcast partners||Sky Sports|
|Champions|| St Helens
2nd Super League title
9th English title
|League Leaders||Bradford Bulls|
|Man of Steel||Adrian Vowles|
|Top point-scorer(s)||Iestyn Harris (325)|
|Top try-scorer(s)||Toa Kohe-Love (25)|
|Merger with Hull
Merger with Huddersfield
| Gateshead Thunder;
JJB Sports Super League IV was the official name for the year 1999's Super League championship season, the 105th season of top-level professional rugby league football in Britain, and the fourth championship run by Super League. The start of Super League IV saw the emergence of a North East based Rugby League Club, Gateshead Thunder as well as newly promoted Wakefield Trinity Wildcats to expand the league to fourteen teams.
- The 40/20 rule was introduced to reward accurate kicking in general play. The rule, which had been used in Australia since 1997, gave the head and feed at the resulting scrum to a team that kicked the ball from behind their 40-metre line so that it bounced in the field of play before going into touch behind their opponent's 20 metre line.
Super League IV Table
Regular Season Final Standings
|9||Halifax Blue Sox||30||11||0||19||573||792||-219||22|
|11||Wakefield Trinity Wildcats||30||10||0||20||608||795||-187||20|
|12||Salford City Reds||30||6||1||23||526||916||-390||13|
|Qualifying / Elimination play-offs||Qualifying / Elimination semi-finals||Final eliminator||Grand Final|
|St Helens||4||GF: 9 October 1999|
|2||St Helens||38||St Helens||36|
|3||Leeds Rhinos||14||ESF:||Castleford Tigers||6|
End of season mergers
Huddersfield managed to avoid relegation again despite finishing bottom due to the merger with Sheffield Eagles to form Huddersfield-Sheffield Giants. Also at the end of this season Gateshead Thunder and Hull Sharks were merged to form Hull F.C. with no attempt made to maintain any association with Gateshead, a new Gateshead Thunder would be formed for the 2001 Premiership season.
- Andy Wilson (2004-08-09). "Moran leaves Vikings with a sinking feeling". The Guardian. Retrieved 2009-05-06.
- Dave Hadfield (1999-05-24). "Saints restore faith in game with emphasis on attack". The Independent. Retrieved 2009-05-06.
- de la Riviere, Richard, ed. (2009). Top ten: Rugby league rules. Rugby League World. Brighouse, UK: League Publications (published August 2009). p. 61. ISSN 1466-0105.
- BBC Sport (2005-09-12). "The 40/20 kick". British Broadcasting Corporation. Retrieved 2009-09-23.
- "St. Helens 8-6 Bradford". Rugby League World. 1999-10-09. Retrieved 2007-08-09.