Super League V
|Super League V|
Wigan Warriors vs St. Helens (9 July)
London Broncos vs Salford City Reds (12 Aug)
|Broadcast partners||Sky Sports|
|Champions|| St. Helens
3rd Super League title
10th English title
|League Leaders||Wigan Warriors|
|Man of Steel||Sean Long|
|Top point-scorer(s)||Sean Long (390)|
|Top try-scorer(s)|| Sean Long (22)
Tommy Martyn (22)
Tetley's Bitter Super League was the official name for the year 2000's Super League championship season, the 106th season of top-level professional rugby league football in Britain, and the fifth championship run by Super League. The season culminated in the Grand Final between St Helens R.F.C. and Wigan Warriors, which St Helens won, claiming their second consecutive Championship.
Super League V Table
Regular Season Final Standings
|8||Halifax Blue Sox||28||11||1||16||664||703||-39||23|
|9||Salford City Reds||28||10||0||18||542||910||-368||20|
|10||Wakefield Trinity Wildcats||28||8||0||20||557||771||-214||16|
|Qualifying / Elimination play-offs||Qualifying / Elimination semi-finals||Final eliminator||Grand Final|
|St. Helens||54||GF: 14 October 2000|
|2||St. Helens||16||Wigan Warriors||40|
|3||Bradford Bulls||11||ESF:||Bradford Bulls||12|
Wide to West
St Helens, who finished second in the regular season table, hosted Bradford Bulls for the qualifying play-off in week one of the play-offs. One of Super League's most well known tries was scored in the final seconds of the match. Bradford led the game 11–10 into the final minute when, deep in the St Helens half with the match seemingly lost, St Helens were awarded a penalty. The try scored on the second tackle by Chris Joynt became known as "Wide to West" due to the phrase being used in live commentary by Eddie Hemmings. St Helens won 16–11.
- It's gonna be the match for Bradford.
- He's given a penalty.
- Oh, he has.
- He'd called held there. They're still not out of it. Oh, they've taken a short one, they know they've only got ten seconds. Will they get this play-the-ball in? They're holding him down.
- [counting down until the end of match] 5, 4, 3, 2, 1
- Sculthorpe wants to get on with it, Bradford: counting down.
- Kick and chase now?
- This is the last play. Long... kicks it wide to Iro. Iro to Hall. Hall is trapped. Back it goes to Hoppe. Over the shoulder to Hall. There is Jonkers. Here is Long, and Long fancies it. Long fancies it. It's wide to West. It's wide to West. Dwayne West. Inside to Joynt. Joynt. JOYNT. JOYNT! OH! OH! FANTASTIC!
- I wouldn't believe it!
- They've won it, they've won it, they've won it. Chris Joynt; Chris Joynt has won it. It is unbelievable here, it is, frankly, unbelievable. Chris Joynt has won the match for St Helens.
- Wilson, Andy (31 December 2009). "Rugby league in the noughties". The Guardian. London. Retrieved 24 May 2010.
- Commentators: Eddie Hemmings, Mike Stephenson (2000-09-22). "Sky Sports: Super League play-offs - St Helens vs Bradford Bulls". Season 2000. St. Helens, United Kingdom. Sky Sports. Sky Sports 1. Missing or empty