Super Monkey Ball 3D
|Super Monkey Ball 3D|
|Series||Super Monkey Ball|
Super Monkey Ball 3D (スーパーモンキーボール 3D?) is an entry in the Super Monkey Ball developed for the Nintendo 3DS handheld game console. Players can either use the Circle Pad or the internal gyroscope of the Nintendo 3DS to navigate AiAi and friends so they can collect as many bananas as possible within the time limit as in previous games in the series.
Super Monkey Ball 3D supports three full-featured gameplay modes: traditional Super Monkey Ball puzzles, "Monkey Race" in which players race each other in frantic car battles, and "Monkey Fight" in which players fight each other in manic brawls similar to the Super Smash Brothers series of games. The last two modes, Monkey Race and Monkey Fight, can be played via wireless connection with up to four players locally.
It was originally released on March 3, 2011 in Japan. It was later released as a launch title on March 25, March 27 and March 31 of the same year in Europe, North America and Australia, respectively. Sega has also released the game as the downloadable title for the Nintendo eShop in Europe and North America on April 3, 2014.
The game received mixed reviews. Audrey Drake of IGN gave the game 7.5/10, praising the gameplay and story, but she criticized Monkey Race for being a "rip-off of Mario Kart with clunky controls", and Monkey Fight for "being a rip-off of Super Smash Bros. with clunky controls". Chris Schilling of Eurogamer gave the game a 4/10. Review aggregator Metacritic gave the game 55/100 based on 57 reviews.
- "スーパーモンキーボール 3D". Nintendo. Retrieved November 11, 2011.
- "Super Monkey Ball 3D (3DS)". NintendoLife. Retrieved November 11, 2011.
- "Super Monkey Ball 3D (3DS)". GameSpy. Retrieved November 11, 2011.
- "Super Monkey Ball 3D's Monkey Ball Mode". andriasang.com. Retrieved 2010-12-25.
- "Super Monkey Ball 3DS – Trailer! Screens! Official Info!". Sega. Retrieved 2011-01-19.
- "GAME calling those that have preordered 3DS, informing them of 11 launch tiles". GoNintendo.com. Retrieved 2011-01-22.