Súper Nova in December 2010.
June 29, 1986 |
Guadalajara, Jalisco, Mexico
|Professional wrestling career|
|Billed height||1.66 m (5 ft 5 1⁄2 in)|
|Billed weight||77 kg (170 lb)|
|Billed from||Guadalajara, Jalisco, Mexico|
|Trained by||El Texano
Súper Nova (born June 29, 1986) is the ring name of a Mexican luchador enmascarado, or masked professional wrestler, currently working for Asistencia Asesoría y Administración (AAA) as Bengala. Super Nova is the son of Luchador El Texano and the brother of El Texano, Jr. in addition to being the cousin of another Luchador called Mictlán. Súper Nova's real name is not a matter of public record, as is often the case with masked wrestlers in Mexico where their private lives are kept a secret from the wrestling fans. Only his paternal surname is a matter of public record, Aguilar Leos, as his brother's real name, Juan Aguilar Leos, is publicly known.
Professional wrestling career
Super Nova grew up watching his father, El Texano, wrestle in Mexico, the United States, and Japan and later also saw his brother El Texano, Jr. turn professional in 1999. After training under his father as well as Vaquero and El Satánico for more than a year he made his debut in October 2002 as the enmascarado character "Spider Boy" (with an outfit that looked a lot like the Spider-Man character). He worked as "Spider Kid" from 2002 until 2006, then briefly as "Spider Boy" before changing his name and outfit to "Super Nova", the ring persona he's best known as today, as he began working for Consejo Mundial de Lucha Libre (CMLL) full-time. In 2007 Super Nova was one of the 16 men involved in the 2007 Reyes del Aire ("Kings of the air") Torneo cibernetico but did not win the match. Later in 2007 Super Nova participated in that year's Gran Alternativa tag team tournament. Super Nova teamed with the veteran Heavy Metal, losing to eventual winners Místico and La Sombra in the first round of the tournament.
In 2008 Super Nova began touring Europe, especially Italy, with Nu-Wrestling Evolution (NWE) while also wrestling for CMLL in Mexico. On April 19, 2008, he participated in a match to crown the inaugural NWE Cruiserweight Champion, losing to Juventud Guerrera in a match that also included Matt Cross and Pac. The following day Super Nova defeated Pac. By mid-2008, Super Nova left CMLL to work with NWE and to work on the Mexican independent circuit. He toured with NWE throughout 2008, at one point teaming with Último Dragón to defeat Dark Dragon and Spade-O. In late 2008 Super Nova began working for the newly formed Perros del Mal Producciones wrestling promotion, teaming with Black Spirit and Turbo on Los Perros' debut show to defeat Black Thunder, Cerebro Negro and X-Fly. Throughout 2009 Super Nova made regular appearances for both NWE and Perros del Mal Producciones. On November 13, 2011, Super Nova won a six-way elimination match to become the new Perros del Mal Light Heavyweight Champion. When Super Nova's brother, El Texano, Jr., jumped from CMLL to Perros del Mal Producciones in November 2011, both of the brothers joined Los Perros del Mal at an International Wrestling Revolution Group (IWRG) event on December 8. However, this partnership was soon forgotten as El Texano, Jr. went on to form a new stable named El Consejo. On March 10, El Texano, Jr. helped Super Nova retain the Perros del Mal Light Heavyweight Championship against Daga and afterward invited him to join El Consejo. Super Nova, however, refused the offer, saying he did not need anyone's help. On March 13, Super Nova, Bestia 666, Damián 666, Halloween and X-Fly announced they had quit Perros del Mal Producciones and were forming their own group of independent wrestlers, named La Familia de Tijuana. In quitting the Perros del Mal Producciones, Super Nova also vacated the Perros del Mal Light Heavyweight Championship.
On December 14, 2009, Super Nova worked a "try out" match for World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE) alongside Incognito. Both of them worked without their masks on, with Super Nova being billed as Julio Cruz. Super Nova wrestled the entire match on his own, never tagging in his partner. Shortly after the match it was announced that Incognito had signed a developmental deal with WWE following his try out match. In January 2010, it was reported that Super Nova had been signed to a WWE developmental contract as well and would start in WWE's Farm League Florida Championship Wrestling as soon as he fulfilled his previous contractual obligations but he never actually worked for the WWE and no explanation was given. On August 23, 2015 Golden Magic lost the IWRG Junior de Junior Championship to Golden Magic, followed by a challenge for Super Nova and Golden Magic to put their masks on the line at a future date.
Super Nova is the youngest son of Juan Conrado Aguilar Jáuregui better known by his ring name El Texano, who wrestled from 1972 until his death in 2006. His brother, Juan Aguilar Leos, is also a professional wrestler, using the ring name El Texano, Jr. after his father. Super Nova's cousin, Jonathan de Jesus Navarro Gimenez, is also a wrestler, working under the ring name Mictlán.
Not to be mistaken for
Several wrestlers have at one point in their wrestling career worked under the ring name "Super Nova"
- Mike Bucci – used the name "Super Nova" for several years in Extreme Championship Wrestling
- Mike Segura – The original Super Nova in AAA, the first Mexican to use the name
- Super Nova II – An unidentified wrestler briefly replaced Mike Segura as Super Nova
- Kevin – Briefly took over the role of Super Nova in AAA.
- A luchador of Guadalajara, remained unknown, used the identity of Super Nova.
- Super Nova – the current Luchador Super Nova, sometimes notes as "Super Nova III" but billed as "Super Nova" in all official promotional material
Championships and accomplishments
- International Wrestling Revolution Group
- National Wrestling Alliance
- Perros del Mal Producciones
- Perros del Mal Light Heavyweight Championship (1 time)
- Other titles
Luchas de Apuestas record
|Winner (wager)||Loser (wager)||Location||Event||Date||Notes|
|Super Nova (mask)||Halloween (hair)||Tijuana, Baja California||Live event||May 5, 2010||[Note 1]|
|Super Nova and Neza Kid (masks)||Dr. Cerebro and Vampiro Metálico (hair)||Ciudad Nezahualcóyotl, Mexico State||Live event||January 1, 2012||[Note 2]|
- "Statistics for Professional wrestlers". PWI Presents: 2009 Wrestling Almanak and book of facts. Kappa Publications. pp. 64–77. 2009 Edition.
- Madigan, Dan (2007). "Okay... what is Lucha Libre?". Mondo Lucha A Go-Go: the bizarre & honorable world of wild Mexican wrestling. HarperColins Publisher. pp. 29–40. ISBN 978-0-06-085583-3.
- "Enciclopedia de las Mascaras". Súper Nova (III) (in Spanish). Mexico City, Mexico. October 2007. p. 56. Tomo IV.
- "Reyes del Aire 2007". Pro Wrestling History. February 16, 2007. Retrieved November 19, 2012.
- Ocampo, Jorge (September 12, 2004). "Gran Alternativa 2007". SuperLuchas (in Spanish). issue 229.
- "Lo Mejor de la Lucha Libre Mexicana 2008". SuperLuchas (in Spanish). January 6, 2009. 296. Retrieved July 11, 2009.
- Reyes Ruiz, Eduardo (November 13, 2011). "Llegó Garza a los Perros, Nova y Celestial nuevos monarcas de los Perros.". Estrellas del Ring (in Spanish). Retrieved March 12, 2012.
- Mexicool, Rey (December 9, 2011). "IWRG (Resultados 8 de dic.): Canis Lupus debuta con un triunfo sobre los Perros del Mal – Apolo Estrada Jr. rapa a Bugambilia, gracias a Eterno". SuperLuchas (in Spanish). Retrieved December 10, 2011.
- Mexicool, Rey (March 11, 2012). "Perros del Mal (Resultados 10 de marzo): El Consejo ahora va tras la jauría – X-Fly, un perro sin correa – Súper Nova firme Campeón Semicompleto ¿Nuevo integrante de El Consejo?". SuperLuchas (in Spanish). Retrieved March 12, 2012.
- Krudemmon (March 11, 2012). "Texano Jr es anti Perros del Mal". R de Rudo (in Spanish). Retrieved March 12, 2012.
- "Renace la Familia de Tijuana". Medio Tiempo (in Spanish). March 13, 2012. Retrieved March 14, 2012.
- Mexicool, Rey (March 15, 2012). "Las declaraciones de La "nueva" Familia de Tijuana". SuperLuchas (in Spanish). Retrieved March 15, 2012.
- Boutwell, Jason (December 25, 2009). "Viva La Raza! Lucha Weekly". WrestleView. Retrieved January 13, 2010.
- Mejía Eguiluz, Diego (August 23, 2015). "L.A. Park pierde la cabeza y la lucha, por descalificación". The Gladiatores (in Spanish). Retrieved August 24, 2015.
- Meltzer, Dave (June 27, 2016). "June 27, 2016 Wrestling Observer Newsletter: Roman Reigns suspended, Money in the Bank review, more". Wrestling Observer Newsletter. Campbell, California: 52. ISSN 1083-9593.
- "Tony Rivera obtiene su cabellera 57; AK-47, la víctima". The Gladiatores (in Spanish). March 17, 2014. Retrieved March 18, 2014.
- Lázaro Rodríguez, José (February 3, 2014). "Súper Nova y Electro Boy, ganadores del Protector 2014". The Gladiatores (in Spanish). Retrieved February 4, 2014.
- Mejía Eguiluz, Diego (February 17, 2014). "Súper Nova, triunfador en la Rebelión de los júnior". The Gladiatores (in Spanish). Retrieved February 18, 2014.
- "Universal Wrestling Association World Junior Light Heavyweight Title". Wrestling-Titles.com. Retrieved January 18, 2014.
- Boutwell, Josh (May 7, 2010). "Viva La Raza! Lucha Weekly". WrestleView. Retrieved May 8, 2010.