Super Robot Wars V
This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Super Robot Wars V|
|Publisher(s)||Bandai Namco Entertainment|
|Series||Super Robot Wars|
Super Robot Wars V (スーパーロボット大戦V Sūpā Robotto Taisen V) is a tactical role-playing game developed by B.B. Studio and published by Bandai Namco Entertainment for the PlayStation 4 and PlayStation Vita. Released as part of Super Robot Wars' 25th anniversary, it is the eighth standalone entry to the series since Super Robot Wars NEO, with the game's continued focus on the massive crossover between different mecha anime series released in Japan. It is released in Asia on February 23, 2017. A Nintendo Switch port of the game will be released in October 3, 2019 and a Steam version coming in a later date.
Like the previous titles of the series, Super Robot Wars V is a Tactical RPG game with story elements and utilizes the same graphics engine seen in 3rd Super Robot Wars Z, but with an inclusion of a 3d isometric map unlike its predecessor. Like other games, it follows the same basic structure: when a stage begins, the character receives introductory dialogue between playable characters, leading to the scenario on the battlefield. To complete a scenario, the player must accomplish scenario objectives. Some scenarios are longer, with multi-part missions or have new objectives added as the story unfolds. On battlefield, the player and enemy take turns to order their units with commands available, such as movement, attacking, forming squads and casting "Spirit Commands", a set of magic-like spells unique to each pilot. Once the scenario is cleared, more dialogue is exchanged between characters before the player is taken to an intermission menu. Here, units can be upgraded or optional parts installed, characters' stats and skills can be changed or upgraded, and other maintenance actions can be performed before the player continues on with the game.
Newer gameplay elements is also been brought into the game with the reintroduction of the Beginner's Mode. It also introduces a new Skill Route and Skill Program function, which allows players to fully customize pilot's skills using Tactical Points, which were obtained through the game's play-through. The game also features two new gameplay mechanics: Extra Order and Extra Action. Extra Action allows player units to use ExC points in each stage to gain advantage in battle while Extra Order allows battleship units to raise spirits of each units. Aside from the new features, combination attacks also return in the game as well as a Remote Play and Cross Save function to play the game in both the Vita and the PlayStation 4 without losing progress. Both games won't allow any recording and screenshots except to certain scenes of the game.
Like the previous games, Super Robot Wars V will have paid downloadable content in the future and comes with some downloadable content.
The creation of the first unified government over all humanity, the Earth Federation, marked the beginning of a new era: New Correct Century, and the beginning of humanity's expansion into space. However, it was also said to be the beginning of a new era of war. The battle between Earthnoids and Spacenoids that began with the One Year War raged on through Char's Rebellion, giving way to the so-called 10 Year Void, a decade-long gap in recorded history.
A century has passed since then, and after the end of the Jupiter War, the Earth Federation was invaded by an alien species known as the "Gamillas". The Gamillas established a forward base on Pluto, and launched planet bombs at Earth. The planet bombs destroyed the space colonies and devastated Earth. The oceans were evaporated, the air was polluted, and the survivors were forced to retreat to shelters deep underground. Scientists estimated that only one year remained before humanity's extinction.
The story revolves around Soji Murakumo and Chitose Kisaragi, who were caught up with the war with the Gamillas in the New Correct Century. Around on their escape to the last hope of mankind: the Yamato, Soji/Chitose stumbles upon a mysterious mobile unit constructed by the federation. Dubbed as the VangRay, he/she pilots it in order to fend off the Gamillas invasion and buy time for the Yamato to appear and score humanity's first victory against them. In a promise of salvation from a distant planet known as Iscandar, Soji/Chitose joins up the Yamato crew in order to save mankind and departs on a journey of one hundred and sixty-eight thousand light years to Iscandar. Not knowing that strange dimensional disturbances they will encounter in the way.
First announced at the 25th Anniversary Live Event alongside Super Robot Wars Original Generation: The Moon Dwellers, Super Robot Wars V continues the trend of the series for being a crossover tactical role-playing game featuring various mecha anime series from other studios. It is also announced in the live event that it is the second game in the series to officially receive an English release in Asia and the first game in series to be given a C rating by CERO. In addition to the enhanced animation and graphics seen in 3rd Super Robot Wars Z: Celestial Prison Chapter, the game also includes a cross-save feature like the previous entry.
The game itself marks a lot of new entries to the series and also a lot of returns. The game marks the return of both Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ and Mobile Suit Crossbone Gundam into the series proper, the first introduction of the second Brave Series into the game in the form of The Brave Express Might Gaine, and the debut of a non-mecha space opera anime series into the game in the form of Star Blazers: Space Battleship Yamato 2199,.  However, the game marked as the first Super Robot Wars game to not include a series animated by Toei Animation.
In the game's first promotional trailer, the game debuts the "Mazin Emperor G" (Japanese: マジンエンペラーG Hepburn: Majin Enperā G), an upgrade to Tetsuya's Great Mazinger, making it the second original Mazinger Mecha to debut in the game since Mazinkaiser. The game also introduces the original mecha "VangRay" (Japanese: ヴァングレイ Hepburn: Vangurei), designed by Linebarrels of Iron Author and Mecha Designer Eiichi Shimizu, piloted by Soji Murakumo and Chitose Kisaragi. The game also reintroduces both the original versions of the Huckebein and the Grungust, piloted by Veltav Text and Charlotte Hastings, making it the third game to reintroduce both units since Super Robot Wars Alpha and five years after the absence of both the Huckebein and the original Grungust in 2nd Super Robot Wars Original Generation.
According to Takenobu Terada, the "V" in the title stands for "Voyage", which represents the Franchise's new growth such as its marketing and localization outside Japan. Also, a Premium Sound edition of the game has been announced. Bandai Namco later announced that the second promotional video was released on January 17, 2017, revealing more information about the game including the game mechanics and gameplay.
- Banpresto Originals
- Super Machine Zambot 3
- The Unchallengeable Daitarn 3
- Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam
- Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ
- Mobile Suit Gundam: Char's Counterattack
- Mobile Suit Gundam: Hathaway's Flashac
- Mobile Suit Crossbone Gundam
- Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny
- Mobile Suit Gundam 00 the Movie: A Wakening of the Trailblazer
- Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn
- The Brave Express Might Gainea
- Martian Successor Nadesico: The Motion Picture – Prince of Darkness
- Getter Robo Armageddon
- True Mazinger Edition Z: The Impact!
- True Mazinger ZERO
- True Mazinger ZERO vs. Great General of Darknessa
- Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu
- Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid
- Full Metal Panic! (Light Novels)
- ^a Debuting series.
- ^b The Huckebein in the game was based on its original 4th Super Robot Wars appearance, instead of using a redesign seen in Super Robot Taisen: Original Generation. The Grungust retains the same appearance from its original game also.
- ^c Mecha only.
- ^d Downloadable Content.
The game's official music is composed by music studio Salamander Factory, with Takanori Arima as its music director. The game also marks the first time Dan Rudin became in charge as audio mixing engineer alongside his recording studio. The game's opening and ending themes are performed by Anison group JAM Project, with the single "The Exceeder" being officially released on March 1, 2017.
Japanese gaming magazine Famitsu rated the game a 34/40, With the game itself selling more than 500,000 Copies in both Japan and Asia. Destructoid gave it a 7.5/10, praising for the game being a "love letter to the featured series. It’s beautifully animated, and it has fun with the shows while remaining respectful to the source material." However it was criticized for lack of challenge stating "It’s just a shame that despite all that, the challenge isn’t there, and for the length that it runs, that’s just not acceptable. If you come for the fanservice, you’ll have a great time, but if you’re looking for a challenging strategy game, it may be best to look elsewhere."
- "【初お披露目の設定画あり!!!】『スーパーロボット大戦V』オリジナル主人公機"ヴァングレイ"登場！【電撃スパロボNo.076】". 電撃ホビーウェブ.
- "シリーズ最新作『スーパーロボット大戦V』も発表！ "『スーパーロボット大戦』鋼の超感謝祭2016"リポート". Famitsu. 2016-06-05. Retrieved 2016-06-05.
- "Super Robot Wars V launches in English on February 23 in Asia". 23 December 2016.
- "Super Robot Wars V Trailer Brings Plenty Of Mixed Mecha Action And System Details". 17 January 2017.
- "Super Robot Wars V PS4 VS PS Vita Screenshot Comparison Released; More Details Shared". 26 December 2016.
- "スパロボシリーズ最新作「スーパーロボット大戦V」発表。宇宙戦艦ヤマト2199，マイトガインなど新規参戦。PS4/PS Vita向けに2017年発売予定". 4Gamer.net. 2016-06-04. Retrieved 2016-06-04.
- "シリーズプロデューサー・寺田貴信氏 スペシャルインタビュー". Dengeki PlayStation Vol.616 スーパーロボット大戦25周年記念付録 鋼の勇者たちの軌跡: 4–5. 2016.
- "『スーパーロボット大戦V』寺田貴信氏＆佐竹伸也氏が、シリーズ最新作を語る【インタビュー完全版】(1/2)". Famitsu. 2016-06-24. Retrieved 2016-06-25.
- "『スーパーロボット大戦V』寺田貴信氏＆佐竹伸也氏が、シリーズ最新作を語る【インタビュー完全版】(2/2)". Famitsu. 2016-06-24. Retrieved 2016-06-25.
- "『スパロボ』25周年イベントで『スパロボV』初公開！ ささきいさおさん、水木一郎さんら豪華ゲストも出演". Dengeki Online. 2016-06-05. Retrieved 2016-06-05.
- "「スーパーロボット超合金 マジンエンペラーG」登場 「スパロボ」新作での新たなるマジンガー！". GAME watch. 2017-11-01.
- "Crunchyroll - "Super Robot Wars V" Trailer Reveals Originals, New Mazin Unit". crunchyroll.com. Retrieved 2016-11-01.
- "『スーパーロボット大戦V』の発売日が2017年2月23日に決定――第1弾PVにはマジンエンペラーGやオリジナルロボットの情報". Famitsu. 2016-10-31. Retrieved 2016-10-31.
- "PS4/PS Vita「スーパーロボット大戦V」発売日が2月23日に決定！第1弾PVや期間限定生産版の情報も公開｜Gamer". gamer.ne.jp. Retrieved 2016-11-01.
- Inc, Aetas. "「スーパーロボット大戦V」の第2弾PVが1月17日の生放送番組で公開". www.4gamer.net.
- Game's ending credits
- "Famitsu Review Scores: Issue 1472". 14 February 2017.
- "PlayStation Awards - Award results in 2018 - PlayStation". asia.playstation.com.
- "PlayStation Awards 2018 winners announced". 3 December 2018.