Mitch Grassi (right) and Scott Hoying (left) performing as part of Pentatonix in June 2016
|Also known as||SUP3RFRUIT|
(March 14, 2018)
(March 14, 2018)
Superfruit (often stylized as SUP3RFRUIT) is an American musical and comedy duo consisting of Mitch Grassi and Scott Hoying, both known as members of the a cappella group Pentatonix; it is also the name of their comedy show, which is featured on their eponymous YouTube channel.
The Superfruit channel was created on August 4, 2013, with Grassi and Hoying originally focusing mostly on humor-oriented vlogs, while also regularly performing music, mostly a capella covers or medleys in the style of Pentatonix.
The duo became more involved in musical activities in 2016, with the releases of their first original songs, "Bad 4 Us" on October 18 and "Sweet Life" on November 15. On June 30, 2017, the duo released their first EP, Future Friends: Part One, followed on September 15 by both the EP Future Friends: Part Two, and Future Friends, which acted as a compilation containing both EPs, and as Superfruit's first studio album. Superfruit's sound differs from their a capella work with Pentatonix as it features instruments, with a strong presence of electric and electronic instruments such as synthesizers, while retaining their usual pop, melody-oriented style.
According to Grassi, he and Hoying were at IHOP one day and both discussed how they wanted to individually start YouTube channels. They decided to launch one together. According to Hoying, the name Superfruit "came from Mitch's random mind". The first Superfruit video was released on August 13, 2013.
Superfruit consists mainly of vlogs about the duo's daily lives and various casual games and competitions, but the channel also features a number of musical projects. Both Grassi and Hoying identify as gay. Although they are not dating, the pair gave themselves the portmanteau Scömìche to represent their ship. Together they had a cat named Wyatt Blue Grassi-Hoying, who used to appear in a number of their videos and logos until he was rehomed (due to Mitch and Scott's busy schedule). Most videos feature just Hoying and Grassi, however several include other artists or guests.
- Future Friends (2017)
- Future Friends – Part One (2017)
- Future Friends – Part Two (2017)
- Future Friends Tour (2018)
Other notable works
Outside of their YouTube channel, Grassi and Hoying promoted The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water as Superfruit with an MTV commercial in which Grassi gets a tattoo of SpongeBob on his arm.
As of 2017, Grassi and Hoying have also begun featuring on other artists original songs; they feature on Betty Who's "Beautiful" from her second studio album The Valley, credited as 'Superfruit'. Additionally, Grassi and Hoying featured with fellow Pentatonix member Kirstin Maldonado in Todrick Hall's "Black and White" from the deluxe edition of Straight Outta Oz, with all three featuring artists collectively being credited as 'Superfruit'.
Awards and nominations
World Choreography Awards
|2017||Best Choreography in a Music Video||Sweet Life||Won|||
- Goodman, William (17 January 2014). "Frozen Music Medley Is Pure Perfection". The Huffington Post. Retrieved 30 December 2014.
- "Watch: Your Favorite Hip Hop Hits Turned Into Broadway Tunes Is Amazing". iHeart Radio. 4 June 2015. Archived from the original on 4 June 2015. Retrieved 4 June 2015.
- "Superfruit – Bad 4 Us [Official Video]". Superfruit. 18 October 2016. Retrieved 25 October 2016 – via YouTube.
- SUPERFRUIT (2016-11-15), Superfruit – SWEET LIFE, retrieved 2017-05-29
- "Superfruit – About". Superfruit. Retrieved 7 May 2017 – via YouTube.
- Superfruit. "we were at IHOP one day and both discussed how we wanted to individually start youtube channels. then we were like WHY DON'T WE JUST DO IT TOGETHIEZ". Superfruit. Retrieved 13 March 2015 – via Facebook.
- "mitch's random mind". Superfruit. 13 March 2015. Retrieved 13 March 2015 – via Facebook.
- "An Intro to Superfruit". Superfruit. 13 August 2013. Retrieved 13 March 2015 – via YouTube.
- Nichols, Larry. "Pentatonix" (Press release). Ken Philips Publicity Group. Retrieved 26 October 2016.
- Grindley, Lucas. "Mitch Grassi of Pentatonix on being gay in the cool a cappella band". Georgia Voice. Retrieved 26 October 2016.
- "Roar vs. Applause/Would You Rather". Retrieved 25 October 2016 – via YouTube.
- Wickman, Kase. "Superfruit Will See SpongeBob Everywhere When They Take Over MTV's Instagram Including on their own skin". MTV. Retrieved 2 February 2015.
- "Thank you MTV for letting us take over your Instagram today in honor of the new SpongeBob SquarePants Movie! We love y'all! For more, go to Spongebob.MTV.com! Don't forget we'll be posting a new video tomorrow!". Superfruit. 2 February 2015. Retrieved 2 February 2015 – via Facebook.
- Grassi, Mitch [@mitchgrassi] (2 February 2015). "My brand new spongebob tattoo!! 😍 thanks, @RomeoLacoste!" (Tweet). Retrieved 2 February 2015 – via Twitter.
- "SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS". Superfruit. 3 February 2015. Retrieved 4 February 2015.
- Helbig, Grace [@gracehelbig] (7 June 2015). "Shot w/ @scotthoying & @mitchgrassi (SUPERFRUIT!) for #GraceShow & they proved one again that they're..." (Tweet). Retrieved 7 June 2015 – via Twitter.
- todrickhall (2017-03-22), Black & White (feat. Superfruit) by Todrick Hall, retrieved 2017-05-29
- Good Mythical Morning (2018-01-24), Duo or Don't-O Challenge ft. Superfruit, retrieved 2018-01-31
- "World Choreography Awards". worldchoreographyawards.com. Retrieved 2017-09-29.