|Industry||Video game industry|
|Headquarters||San Francisco, California, U.S.|
|Products||Bastion, Transistor, Pyre|
Supergiant Games is an American video game development studio company based in San Francisco, California. It was founded in 2009 by Amir Rao and Gavin Simon, and currently consists of employees in San Francisco and other locations. The studio is known for their critically acclaimed titles Bastion, Transistor, and most recently, Pyre.
Supergiant Games was formed by Amir Rao and Gavin Simon in 2009. Both had been working at the Los Angeles studio of Electronic Arts, involved with the Command & Conquer series. In 2009 they agreed to quit their job, move into the same house, and begin to work on a new game together. At that time, they had also hired musician Darren Korb for audio and music work. They also used a number of freelancer programmers and developers they could call on for help at various times during the development of this first game.
Their first game, Bastion, received high critical praise, including being listed among several "Game of the Year" lists from game journalists. It was first shown in mid-development at the 2010 Penny Arcade Expo as part of its "PAX 10" highlight ten upcoming independently developed games. This attracted several publishers who wanted to help distribute the game, but Supergiant Games found that Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment shared the same vision they had for the game. Supergiant selected them as their publishing partner, enabling them not only to distribute the game to Xbox Live Arcade but as a premiere title during the 2011 "Summer of Arcade" promotion.
In March 2013, Supergiant Games announced their next title, Transistor, released on May 20, 2014. A promotion video was released March 19. The game features a female protagonist, Red, in a cyberpunk-like city, who had acquired a powerful weapon that she is nearly killed for possessing. The game features a similar isometric viewpoint to Bastion. Transistor was similarly met with critical acclaim with an average critic score of 83 on Metacritic.
- "Greg Kasavin on the Giant Bombcast". Retrieved 2014-05-13.
- Caoili, Eric (March 12, 2010). "GDC: EA LA Vets Form Digital Download Dev Supergiant". Gamasutra. Retrieved April 19, 2016.
- "From Command & Conquer to Bastion". Metro. 2010-09-03. Retrieved 2011-12-31.
- Marie, Meagan (2010-09-04). "SuperGiant's Bastion Is Beautiful". Game Informer. Retrieved 2011-12-31.
- Cullen, Johnny (2011-07-19). "Supergiant: Warner "bought into" our "vision" of Bastion". VG247. Retrieved 2011-12-31.
- Transistor - Reveal Trailer. YouTube. 19 March 2013.
- Nunneley, Stephany (2013-03-19). "Transistor from Supergiant Games gets a reveal trailer". VG247. Retrieved 2013-03-19.
- Matulef, Jeffrey (2016-04-19). "Bastion and Transistor dev announces RPG Pyre". Eurogamer. Retrieved 2016-04-19.