This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2020)
|Also known as||Superjoint Ritual (1993–2004)|
Superjoint, formerly known as Superjoint Ritual, was an American heavy metal band formed by Phil Anselmo, Joe Fazzio, and Jimmy Bower in the early 1990s, later to be joined by Hank Williams III, and Kevin Bond. They were founded by Anselmo parallel to his membership in Pantera, but became a full-time endeavor a few years later after Pantera's dissolution.
Their style can be considered a mix of Pantera's style of groove metal and hardcore punk. A small trace of black metal can be heard, as well. Bands like Venom, Slayer, Celtic Frost, Voivod, and Darkthrone have been noted as influences also. The name "Superjoint Ritual" comes from a lyric in the Darkthrone song "The Pagan Winter". According to Bower, Anselmo wrote 70–80% of the group's music.
Despite their early 1990s establishment, it was not until a decade later, after the folding of Pantera, that the group recorded any albums. It was then that Superjoint Ritual garnered significant TV exposure on programs such as MTV2's Headbangers Ball and Fuse TV's Uranium.
However, the group's time in the spotlight would prove short lived. A dispute between Anselmo and Fazzio led to the band's eventual split in late 2004, which was confirmed by both Hank Williams III and Jimmy Bower.
The band reunited at the Housecore Horror Film Festival in Austin, Texas in October 2014. For legal reasons, the band performed under the name "Superjoint". Hank Williams III was initially supposed to take part in this first reunion show, but had to bow out due to personal issues.
In an interview in June 2019, Anselmo mentioned that he was no longer interested in playing with Superjoint. In October 2020, bassist Stephen Taylor said he is unsure if the band is still active.
- Final lineup
- Phil Anselmo – vocals (1993–2004, 2014–2019), additional guitars (1993–1998, 2002–2004, 2014–2019), lead guitar (1998–2002)
- Jimmy Bower – rhythm guitar (1993–2004, 2014–2019)
- Kevin Bond – lead guitar (2002–2004, 2014–2019), bass (1994–1995)
- Stephen Taylor – bass (2014–2019)
- Jose Gonzalez – drums (2014–2019)
- Michael Haaga – bass (1993–1994, 1995–2002)
- Hank Williams III – bass (2002–2004)
- Joe Fazzio – drums (1993–2004)
- Marzi Montazeri – lead guitar (1996–1998)
- Use Once and Destroy (2002, Sanctuary Records)
- A Lethal Dose of American Hatred (2003, Sanctuary Records)
- Caught Up in the Gears of Application (2016, Housecore Records)
- 1995 Demo
- 1997 Demo
- Live in Dallas, TX 2002 (2002, Sanctuary Visual Entertainment)
- Live at CBGB's (2004, Sanctuary Visual Entertainment)
- "SUPERJOINT's "Caught Up In The Gears Of Application" Is Southern Hardcore Punk". Metal Injection. November 4, 2016. Retrieved October 27, 2020.
- "Superjoint Announces Winter 2017 Tour Dates -". mxdwn Music. December 7, 2016. Retrieved October 27, 2020.
- "Superjoint | Biography, Albums, Streaming Links". AllMusic. Retrieved January 9, 2021.
- "Interview with Jimmy Bower on 8/14/04". metalupdate.com. Retrieved November 28, 2020.
- "Superjoint Ritual to Reunite for Housecore Horror Fest; Gwar, Voivod, Others Announced!". MetalSucks. Retrieved August 20, 2014.
- "Hellfest Open Air 2015 Artists". Hellfest.fr. December 8, 2014. Archived from the original on December 10, 2014. Retrieved December 8, 2014.
- "PHILIP ANSELMO's SUPERJOINT RITUAL Recording New Music". BLABBERMOUTH.NET. December 29, 2015. Retrieved May 11, 2016.
- "Initial Dates Emerge For Superjoint, Battlecross & Child Bite Tour". Theprp.com. December 1, 2016. Retrieved October 1, 2020.
- Oz, Diamond (June 30, 2019). "Phil Anselmo On The Illegals, Scour And En Minor, Playing Pantera Again, Boxing And More". Metal Underground.com. Retrieved July 7, 2019.
- Blabbermouth (October 3, 2020). "SUPERJOINT Bassist Doesn't Know If Band Is Retired: 'I Have No Idea'". BLABBERMOUTH.NET. Retrieved October 25, 2020.