The Return of Superman (TV series)
|The Return of Superman|
The Return of Superman newest logo starting from episode 117.
|Also known as||Superman Is Back
|Starring||Lee Hwi Jae
|Narrated by||Jung Hye-young|
|Opening theme||Superman: Main Title March|
|Country of origin||South Korea|
|No. of episodes||199 (as of September 23, 2017) (list of episodes)|
|Location(s)||South Korea, Japan|
|Camera setup||Multicamera setup|
|Running time||Ep. 1–15 (85 minutes)
Ep. 16–21 (95 minutes)
Ep. 22–present (100 minutes)
|Production company(s)||Koen Media Corporation|
|Original release||September 19, 2013|
|Preceded by||Star Family Show Mamma Mia (패밀리쇼 맘마미아)|
|Related shows||Happy Sunday
다녀오겠습니다 (KBS Joy)
The Return of Superman (Hangul: 슈퍼맨이 돌아왔다; also known as Superman Is Back) is a South Korean reality-variety show that airs on KBS2. The Return of Superman is one of the two segments (the other segment is 1 Night 2 Days) on Happy Sunday. The original 3 episodes pilot aired as a Chuseok holiday special from September 19 till September 21 of 2013, starring Lee Hwi-jae, Choo Sung-hoon, Jang Hyun-sung, The show is narrated by actress Yoo Ho-jeong and also includes entertainer Lee Hyun-woo and his two sons.
KBS announced on Oct 17, 2013 that The Return of Superman will officially become part of the Happy Sunday lineup starting on November 3, 2013. The show replaces Star Family Show Mamma Mia, which was moved to Wednesday nights.
Celebrity dads are left to care for their kids alone for 48 hours without the help of anyone, while their wives leave the home to enjoy some relaxing time off. The wives are shown leaving the home before the 48 hours begins and coming back to greet their family once the 48 hours have ended. During the 48 hours the dads and children are either doing a task the wives have written out for the dads to complete or the dads exploring new activities with their kids. Occasionally celebrity friends of the dads will stop by to interact with the kids.
The show is filmed with set up cameras and cameraman hiding in tents and playhouses in each of the celebrities actual home. Family and friends of the celebrity dads will occasionally show up in each episode. On each episode, as the show moves from one family to the next, a brief narration by the narrator is given to introduce the next segment of the episode.
During each individual family segment the parents (husband and wife), with the exception of Junu, Junseo and Haru who were old enough to answer questions when they started the show, would give a talking head interview while being asked questions by the shows PDs (producers) about the current situation being aired.
*Child is listed from oldest to youngest. Families are listed in order of appearance on the show.
Chuseok Special Part 1–3
|Son: Lee Seo-eon
DOB: March 15, 2013 (Fraternal twin)
|Chuseok Special - Ep 68, Ep 175
Gangnam, Seoul, South Korea
|Son: Lee Seo-jun
DOB: March 15, 2013 (Fraternal twin)
|Lee Dong-gook 7
Professional Football (Soccer) player
|Daughter: Lee Jae-si
DOB: August 14, 2007 (Fraternal twin)
Former Miss Korea contestant
|Songdo, Incheon, South Korea|
|Daughter: Lee Jae-ah
DOB: August 14, 2007 (Fraternal twin)
|Daughter: Lee Seol-ah
DOB: July 18, 2013 (Fraternal twin)
|Daughter: Lee Soo-ah
DOB: July 18, 2013 (Fraternal twin)
|Son: Lee Si-an (Daebak-i.e.)
DOB: November 14, 2014
|Daughter: Kim Ro-hee
DOB: April 12, 2015
|Seoul, South Korea|
|Son: William Hammington (Jung Tae-oh)
DOB: July 12, 2016
|Gangnam, Seoul, South Korea|
|Son: Ko Seung-jae
DOB: October 6, 2014
|Seoul, South Korea|
*Families and narrators are listed in order of exiting the show.
^Note 1 :First appearance on episode 20 & 21. Officially joined cast starting episode 25.
^Note 2 :Kim Jung-tae's younger son Kim Si-hyun, who was only 2 months old when they started filming for the show will not be part of the show.
^Note 3 :See "Controversies" section.
^Note 4 :Heo Su-gyeong previously guest starred with her daughter Byeol on episode 24 during Lee Hwi-jae's segment.
^Note 5 :Song Il-kook wife Jeong Seung-yeon face is blurred whenever she appears on the show to protect her identity due to her occupation as a High Court Judge. She also does not participate in the talking head interviews like the other Moms/Wives of other cast families.
^Note 6 :Jung Hye-young's husband Sean from Jinusean previously appeared in numerous episodes of the show during former cast member Tablo and Haru's segment. Also all four of her children along with her husband appeared on episode 52 during Song Il-kook's segment.
^Note 7 :Lee Dong-gook previously guest starred on episode 40 during Lee Hwi-jae's segment.
^Note 8 :Lee Hwi-jae and his family moved back to Seoul, shown on episode 175 in order to be closer to his ailing father who is suffering from dementia.
University Professor/Political Analyst
|Daughter: Marion Kelly (Ye-na)
DOB: March 9, 2013
Housewife/former Yoga Instructor
|Busan, South Korea|
|Son: James Kelly (Yu-seop)
DOB: 2016 (age 1)
|Son: Park Yi-jun
DOB: June 10, 2015
|Seoul, South Korea|
|Daughter: Shin-Yi Ro-woon
DOB: March 4, 2016
|Ilsan, Gyeonggi-do, South Korea|
Ep 130-162 (regular)
Ep 194 (special appearances)
|Daughter: In Ha-eun
DOB: December 4, 2015
|Daughter: Hong Ra-won
DOB: April 21, 2017
|Seoul, South Korea|
- Lee Hyun-woo could not participate in the show when it was picked up on Happy Sunday due to conflicting schedule.
- Yoo Ho-jeong was the original narrator for episode 1 and 2 of the Chuseok Special, there was no narrator for episode 3 of the special episodes.
- Tablo and his daughter Haru joined the cast starting from episode 1 of season 1 to replace Lee Hyun-woo's spot.
- Chae Sira became the narrator starting from season 1, her last episode was the 27th. Chae decided to leave the show due to her conflicting schedule.
- Kim Jung-tae and his son Ji-hoo (Yakkung) guest starred on episodes 20 and 21 as part of Jang Hyun-sung's segment, the two were invited to officially join the cast because of the show's extended time slot.
- Shin Ae-ra took over as narrator starting from episode 28. She was approached to join the show because of her reputation as an caring mother in real life.
- Kim Jung-tae and his son Yakkung opted to leave the show following controversy of them attending a campaign rally for a local politician. Episode 31 is their last.
- Jang Yoon-jung and Do Kyung-wan will be guest cast from episode 32. They will fill the spot left open by the departure of Kim Jung-tae and his son Yakkung. The couple will chronicle the birth of their son.
- Jang Hyun-sung's agency announced on June 24, 2014 that the actor and his sons would be leaving the show due to conflicting schedule with filming his drama Ceci Bon and movie Love Wins. He and his family last appearance is episode 33.
- Song Il-kook was announced on June 25, 2014 to be joining the cast of Superman along with his triplet sons. Their first episode will air on July 6.
- It was announced on July 20 that Shin Ae-ra would be stepping down as the narrator of the show to concentrate on her studies in the United States. Her last episode will be the 37th. Heo Su-gyeong, who previously guest starred on the show will be taking over as the narrator.
- On December 1, 2014, Tablo and his daughter Haru announced that both will be leaving the show due to Tablo's conflicting schedule with promoting his music career and filming the show. Episode 58 will be their last.
- Actor Uhm Tae-woong was announced on December 1, 2014 to be joining the show with his daughter Uhm Ji-on. The new father/daughter duo will be taking the place of exiting cast family Tablo and Haru.
- A press release was issued on January 6, 2015 announcing actress and wife of Sean from Jinusean, Jung Hye-young as the narrator of the show starting from episode 60. No reason was given for the exiting of most current narrator Heo Su-gyeong.
- On July 13, 2015 KBS confirmed professional soccer player Lee Dong-gook will be joining the cast part-time with his five children.
- On October 14, 2015, the shows PD Kang Bong Kyu, confirmed that actor Uhm Tae-woong and his family will be leaving the show so that he and his wife can concentrate on the main careers as an actor and ballerina. When Uhm Tae-woong's wife Yoon Hye-jin, appeared on the variety show "Taxi" in November 2015 she further clarified another reason was that they didn't want Jion growing up in the spotlight thinking she was privileged.
- On December 21, 2015, KBS announced that Song Il-gook and the triplets will be leaving the show for an undisclosed reason. Episode 116 will be their last.
- On December 9, 2015 the PD's of the show confirmed that actor Ki Tae Young had started filming for show. His family replaces Uhm Tae Woong's who had recently left the show.
- On January 27, 2016, it was confirmed that actor Lee Beom-soo would be joining the show. His family will be taking over the slot of Song Il-gook's family after they leave the show sometime in February.
- In later February 2016 an insider informed the media that Choo Sung Hoon and his daughter Sarang would be leaving the show. PD of the show did not confirm the news because Choo and his family did not finish filming yet. On February 28, 2016 it was confirmed the Choos will be leaving the show after Sung Hoon's wife Shiho Yano posted an invite for fans to attend their final filming on her Instagram account. The Choos last episode will air in late March 2016. With Choo Sung Hoon leaving the show, Lee Hwi Jae remains the only original cast member since the show premiered.
- On April 22, 2016, KBS revealed that actors Oh Ji-ho, In Gyo-jin and Yang Dong-geun and their respective children would be joining the show. Yang Dong-geun's first episode will be on Episode 127 while Oh Ji-ho and In Gyo-jin's will be on Episode 129 and 130 respectively.
- On October 2016, it was announced that Sam Hammington and his son William would be joining the show. Their first episode will be on Episode 154.
- On November 2016, it was revealed that singer Ko Ji-young would be joining the show. Their first episode will be on Episode 163.
- On May 10, 2017, it was announced that actor Lee Beom-soo and his kids would be leaving the show in order for Lee to focus on directing his film. Episode 182 will be their last.. Lee had originally joined the program as a way to spend time with his children while he recovered from his leg injury.
- During the previews at the end of episode 183, Professor Robert Kelly of Pusan National University were shown as the new family joining the show. The Kelly family rose to popularity when his young children's crashed his live interview with the BBC and the video of the incident went viral.
Relationships and Profiles
*Details based on the show.
|Junu, Junseo||Sibling rivalry||Junu thinks both of his parents love Junseo more because they pay more attention to Junseo and because he is the youngest. Vice versa, Junseo thinks that his parents love his older brother more because Junu is better than Junseo at everything.|
|Junu, Junseo||Afraid of dogs brothers||Junu and Junseo are both afraid of dogs. Doesn't matter if it is a small Dachshund or a cute Pekingese, as long as it barks they are afraid of it. When both brothers were staying at the Choo family home they were afraid the Choo's Dachshund would bite them every time it growled. While visiting Kim Jung-tae's home, Junseo became hysterical when their Pekingese licked his hand and Junu was afraid to even walk into the living room.|
|Junu||Baby lover||Even though he is only in his pre-teens, Junu has shown that he has a soft spot for babies and toddlers. During Sarang's visit to the Jang's home, he doted on her and got Sarang who is extremely shy towards strangers to open up and play with him. Also he couldn't keep his eyes and hands off of friendly baby Seojun when he visited the Lees' home. He loves babies so much that he has told his father that he hopes his future wife makes lots of money so that he can be a stay-at-home father and take care of their children.|
|Hyunsung||First time cook||Hyunsung has never cooked before doing the show. He can't even tell the difference between seaweed and cloud ear fungus. Thinking that the cloud ears were seaweed he made a soup for Sunghoon and told him it was seaweed soup. He also does not know how to boil pasta; he asked Sunghoon for instructions but didn't understand the concept of throwing the pasta against the wall to see if it was cooked. On episode 27 Hyunsung finally discovers the pre-made sauce aisle at the supermarket and successfully cooked a meal for his father-in-law.|
|Seoeon, Seojun||The greedy brother||Seoeon snatches everything that Seojun has, it could be food, a toy, a simple plastic bottle or a plain paper fan, as long as it's in Seojun's hand Seoeon will want it. Seojun who is no match for Seoeon's strength ends up giving up, running away and crying. On episode 33 Seojun finally shows signs of fighting back when he bites Seoeon in the leg after a battle over an eyeglass case with a strap. On episode 44, Seoeon shows his greed beyond Seojun for other peoples things when he fights with Yuto and the Song triplets for their belongings and toys they are playing with.|
|Seojun, Seoeon||Intelligent brother||Although Seoeon might be the stronger of the twins, Seojun has proved time and time again that he is the more intelligent of the two. At less than a year old Seojun was able to pronounce the word "YES" fluently even though Hwijae had confusedly called him Seoeon. While Seoeon usually whines and cries to try to get his ways Seojun quietly observes his surroundings to figure out how things works on his own, such as how to unlock a child proof safety lock on the kitchen cabinets, scaling a tree house ladder, finding where the snacks are kept at a child learning center and opening the container on his own, also figuring out that a remote toy car is being controlled by his father and knowing how to use the controls without his dad showing him. As the twins growth progress Seojun seems to be advancing more rapidly as he is able to understand and communicate verbally with adults. In episode 67, Seojun who refused to go to bed climbed up on his own and knew which switch to press to turn the living room lights back on.|
|Hwijae, Seoeon||The crybaby||If Seoeon is far from dad or someone else besides dad is holding him, Seoeon will cry non-stop. The only way to stop his cries are for Hwijae to pick him up and carry him. He doesn't even allow his grandparents to hold him. Fans of the show who ran into Hwijae have mentioned that Seoeon is so clingy to his dad that he can't be without his dad.|
|Seoeon||The flirt||Seoeon loves the pretty ladies; age does not matter. They could be a women the same age as his mother, an older girl or a baby the same age as him, as long as they're cute females he'll give them lots of smiles and attention. Even dad Hwijae is put to the side once he sees a cute female. When the Lee's visited the Uhm's, Seoeon had no trouble getting along with Jion and playing non-stop with her while younger brother Seojun cried for dad and food. While visiting a traditional Korean sauna, Seoeon pulled on older girls to play with him. Also he showed fear of the personal sauna caves on his own but would enter it without fear when an older girl was with him which caused dad Hwijae to be embarrassed by the incident.|
|Seojun||The fearless baby||Seojun gives a smile every time his dad greets him. He is not afraid to meet or be carried by his dad friends and always willing to explore new things. When he visits grandma's house he becomes intrigue with her Maltese puppy and tries to grab it. For his first professional haircut he stayed quietly still for the stylist to quickly cut his hair nicely. When Hwijae brought the twins to a fish market, Soejun showed no fear touching and asking about all the sea creatures at the market.|
|Seojun||Kim Jun-hyun look-a-like||Ever since Yang Joon-hyuk pointed out to Hwijae that Seojun looks like comedian Kim Jun-hyun, Hwijae has refer Seojun to the comedian. Hwijae will impersonate the way Kim Jun-hyun pronounce the word "really" when speaking to Seojun. On episode 31 Kim Jun-hyun is invited to the twins' home and gets to meet Seojun. Kim Jun-hyun mentions and even shows a picture of himself at Seojun's current age proving that they both really look-a-like.|
|Seoeon, Moon Jeong-won||Mamma's boy||Seoeon is very attached to his mother. He likes to grab her hair whenever she carries him. Hwijae gets a female wig for himself to see if Seoeon will do the same to him when he puts on the long-hair wig, but the sight of his dad with long hair shocks Seoeon. Seoeon also does not like the sight of his mother hugging someone else even if it is his father. The sight of his mother hugging someone else will bring a burst of loudness from Seoeon.|
|Hwijae, Seoeon, Seojun||Sports fanatic dad||Hwijae is a sports fanatic; he loves all kinds of sports. His dream is for one of his sons to become a professional athlete since he couldn't become one himself. He is willing to make the sacrifice so his sons can become athletes. Hwijae takes his sons to ball games to let them get use to the atmosphere and asks his professional athlete friends to come by his home to interact with his sons hoping some of their energy will pass on to his sons.|
|Hwijae||Child rearing expert||Everyone thought Hwijae was joking when he self-proclaimed himself a child rearing expert. As the show progressed he has shown he is really one. Besides being a fun dad who plays with his kids, he is able to connect and form a bond with children he has met. Whenever he meets up with a friend that has children he never shows up empty handed, always making sure each child receives a gift. After Haru stayed over at his home the two got on a friendly bases that when they met again during the Jeju Island trip she showed her concern for him when he was too busy to eat. Also when visiting the triplets home, the triplets liked him so much that Minguk begged him not to leave and soon had his brothers also asking him not to leave. While visiting the Uhm's with the twins, Jion immediately connected with Hwijae because of his funny sense of humor. Seeing how much fun Hwijae and the twins were having at her home she joined in on the fun playing with them as if they are long time friends.|
|Junu, Junseo, Sarang||The love triangle||Both brothers Junu and Junseo are in a competitive competition to via for cutie Sarang's attention. Junseo even dresses in a Peter Pan costume hoping to get Sarang's attention. Sarang tends to lean towards the more mature and sincere Junu since he is good with younger kids, but she also leans on Junseo when he plays nicely with her.|
|Junu, Haru||The crush||Haru has a crush on Junu, her nickname for him is "The tall oppa". Whenever Junu is in the same room with her she gravitates towards him and calls for "Junu oppa" to get his full attention on her. Once in awhile she'll give him surprise hugs. She likes him for being caring, kind and intelligent.|
|Sarang||The big eater||Sarang loves food, especially grapes, blueberries, strawberries, bananas, roasted seaweed sheets, yogurt, corn and cake. She gets excited when there is an offering of grapes. But when she's hungry she'll wake up crying in the middle of the night. Also she doesn't like to share her food, when her daycare boyfriend offers her grapes she takes all of it, refusing to even give one bite to her grandfather when he ask and not even giving a strawberry to her grandmother who brought them for her when Sarang visited their home. Known for her gluttony, she was in fact nominated for a special KBS award for "big eaters" and is always up for a challenge when someone wants to compete on who can eat more. The only person that has beaten her in eating so far is Minguk, who is also another big eater.|
|Sarang||Minnie Mouse fan||Sarang's favorite character is Minnie Mouse. She has to always eat with her Minnie utensils and packs her Minnie doll with her when she heads out of the house. Even if it is awful constipation medicine, she'll drink it without complaints if it's in a Minnie cup. She is overly ecstatic when the Jang's gift to her a Minnie plush and T-shirt. She teaches her dad the difference between Minnie and Mickey when he is unable to tell which character is which.|
|Sunghoon, Sarang||The indulging dad||Sunghoon can't say no to his cute daughter. If she wants certain foods or a toy, he doesn't care about the hassle or cost; he'll get it for her no matter what. He'll take her on a shopping spree to her favorite character store to please her. He'll spend a fortune on a claw machine just to get an Anpanman toy for her.|
|Sarang, Yuto||Toddler love||Sarang has a boyfriend named Yuto from her daycare center. The two are in a volatile relationship. Both fight about toys, food and playing with other children but they always end up making up with a kiss at the end.|
|Haru||Fish lover||Haru loves fish and anything that is fish related. She has a playroom full of toys that is fish-themed. She even knows how to make dolphin sounds. Her favorite place to visit is the aquarium or any place that lets people fish.|
|Haru||The kind girl||Haru is always thoughtful. Whenever there is another kid in her presence she is always willing to share her toys or favorite foods. If there is an adult in need of help she is always willing to lend a hand. When she sees Hwijae busy feeding the twins and not able to get a bite to eat she offers him a cup of water.|
|Tablo, Haru||Daughter's Daddy||Tablo is always trying his best to earn his daughter's love and attention since she's so chic and only cares about fish and her mother, Hye Jung. Despite that, Tablo is now being labelled as 'Daughter's Daddy'(direct Korean translation;term used to describe a Dad who loves his daughter excessively). He sometimes brings her into his recording studio and she occasionally raps with him.|
|Hye Jung, Haru||Chic mother and daughter||More than fish, Haru is really passionate and loves her mother. Tablo has said in interviews that when Hye Jung and Haru are together, they are in their own world and they completely ignore him.|
|Haru, G-Dragon||The huge crush||Haru has a huge crush on Big Bang's leader G-Dragon, who's a label mate of her dad. She sees him as her ideal male. Whenever he is around she becomes shy and silent but also excited when she hears his name or sees his image.|
|Tablo, Hyejung||The whipped husband||Tablo diligently listens and does everything his wife Hyejung tells him to do. Hyejung is in charge of the family finances and Tablo has to ask her for spending money, even if it's for ice cream. To show how whipped Tablo is, Hwijae and his wife decide to play a hidden camera joke on Tablo but their joke backfires when Tablo does not say anything about the way Hwijae treats his wife. However, Hyejung admits that she liked Tablo more and chased after him in the beginning of their romance.|
|Sunghoon, Shiho||Wants a 2nd child couple||Sunghoon's wife is sometimes jealous of his close father-daughter relationship with Sarang. Shiho wants to have another child and hopes it will be a boy so she can have a close relationship with her child like the one Sunghoon and Sarang have.|
|Yakkung||The happy child||Yakkung is a happy sunny boy who loves alphabet songs and dancing to the music. His favorite foods are anything that is fried, but he hates dirtiness. He can't stand touching or having dirt on him.|
|Yakkung||The English Genius||Yakkung knows his ABC's, 123's and animals in English. He also knows how to write the alphabet.|
|Jung-tae, Yakkung||Meal stealer||Jung-tae is always looking to have just one bite of Yakkung's meal. Yakkung not willing to offer a bite to his dad put his cheeks out as an offer to his dad instead. Jung-tae willing to take anything will kiss his cheeks non-stop.|
|Manse||The car fanatic||Manse seems to have an obsession with cars. Doesn't matter if it is a toy car, an actual car or even a child hair salon seat that is shaped like a car as long as there is a steering wheel he will want to get behind it and take control of it. When Il-kook and the triplets run into a family at the park with a fancy ride in toy car Il-kook asked the family if they can ride in it for a moment which the family was nice enough to offer. While his brothers quietly ride in the back as passengers Manse took control of the steering wheel and refuse to let dad steer the car. When it was time to return the toy car to the family Manse refused to let go and threw a tantrum.|
|Il-kook, Daehan||Dependable son||Even though he was born on the same day as his two younger triplet brothers Daehan is the son that Il-kook depends on the most to look after his brothers when he can't. Whenever Il-kook is chasing after either Minguk or Manse, Daehan is always given the responsibility to hold on to or look after one of his brothers while Il-kook looks for the other. Daehan sometimes carries his dad's backpack to him when he thinks that his dad needs it.|
|Minguk||Aegyo prince||Unlike his two brothers Daehan and Manse who like to rough house, Minguk communicates with others by showing his cuteness. When playtime is over and dad Il-kook comes to get them instead of rebelling and arguing with dad Minguk will use his cuteness to try to coax dad into letting him play a bit longer. Also when Minguk wakes up earlier than his dad and brothers he will courteously greet the cameraman working behind the tents with a wink and a wave. And then go off to play on his own without waking his family up. Minguk loves to sing songs and dance. He also has shown to get into minor fights with his younger brother, Manse, and then immediately make up by hugging him.|
|Il-kook, Daehan, Minguk, Manse||The new big eaters||The Song boys have showed that they have really big appetites when father and sons downed 8 orders of dumplings which contained 10 pieces in each serving during one sitting at a mandu restaurant. Eating is their favorite past-time as the usual rumbustious triplets become quiet and sit still whenever they are eating. Il-kook has also said he is thankful that his boys get to eat for free when they are at a buffet. Also during a strawberry eating challenge, Minguk was able to best Sarang at downing the most strawberries.|
|Sarang, Daehan, Minguk, Manse||Triplet fanatic||Not much came of their first meeting during the taping of the 1 year episode special as Sarang was too busy playing with her friend Yuto, but afterwards Sarang made it known to both of her parents that she liked the triplets, especially Minguk. She liked them more than her dad, best friend Yuto, Pororo and Mickey & Minnie, that Sunghoon invited the Song's to visit and stay with them in Japan. However upon meeting the triplets again, Manse became her new favorite when he showered her with attention and kisses. Her budding friendship with Manse continued when she visited the Song's home in South Korea and once again Manse showed his adoration for her.|
|Hwijae, Daehan, Minguk, Manse||"Jae mi eobs eo" (It's not funny") friendship||Hwijae used the phrase "jae mi eobs eo" (It's not funny") when he visited the Songs home in episode 53 and had to look after them himself since Il-kook was running the shop at the flee market to sell off their old children's clothes. Instead of feeling disciplined the triplets thought Hwijae was hilarious and couldn't stop laughing especially Minguk who would copy Hwijae in saying the phrase. The phrase has become a special saying between Hwijae and the triplets. When the Songs visited the Lees' home in episode 69, Minguk, Daehan and Manse remembered the phrase and said it to Hwijae, who was very happy that the boys remembered.|
|Manse||Mr. Congeniality||Manse friendliness and openness to others he just met have won him hearts from many. In episode 57, when the Songs visited the Choos in Japan, Sarang originally showed more interest in Minguk before meeting them as she would always mention Minguk's name first but it was Manse's eagerness to play with her and showering her with love and attention that won her over. During episode 69 when the triplets visited the twins new home to celebrate their birthday together, Minguk who showed adoration for Seojunie when he got excited seeing Seojun pop up during the dads video chat with each other and practicing singing happy birthday only to Seojun during their car ride to the Lees home lost out to his younger brother Manse for Seojun's love, when Manse was more playful and caring to the twins. Manse even got the usually reserved Seoeon, who doesn't like strangers to like him. In episode 76 and 77 when all the families went to Jeju Island, Manse showed his welcomeness to new family Jion and Taewoong by saying good morning to them and choosing to hike with them up Yongnuni Oreum.|
|Sarang, Manse||Budding long-distance friendship||Every since the triplets visited the Choos in Japan, Manse and Sarang have become best friends, giving her usual best friend Yuto stiff competition. While visiting Japan, Manse could not be apart from Sarang and insisted on holding her hand and sitting next to her. When the Choos visited the Songs in South Korea, Manse showed the same affections he had for Sarang in Japan and extra care when he helped carry her slide when they went snow sliding. To Ilkook's surprise he didn't realize the usual mischievous and free spirited Manse was such a gentlemen. In episode 68 while playing the comparison game, Sarang tells her dad that Manse is the person she likes the most now, even more than Mom and Dad.|
|Taewoong, Jion||Emotional dad||First-time father Taewoong sheds a tear at every little thing Jion does. Jion could be copying the family dog Saebom's movements or mimicking the way Taewoong cooks. Taewoong sheds tears so easily that his wife would ask why he was crying again, in order to avoid answering his wife he would run into the bedroom to wipe his tears.|
|Seolah, Sooah||Beagle sisters||Seolah and Sooah where nicknamed the "beagle sisters" by the PD's of the show because their energy and mischievous is comparable to beagle puppies when they first appeared on the show. However, since Seolah received punishment for a fight Sooah started she has shown to mature more than her twin sister Sooah and has since started to act as an authority figure to her younger brother Daebak.|
|Donggook||Re"lax" dad||Donggook is a forgiving dad who takes the blame for his kids making a mess. When Seolah and Sooah made a mess of the house and filming cameras by spreading bath soup bubbles everywhere he smiles with a laugh and clean up after them without any complains or lectures to the girls. When Seolah un-bags rice puff all over the living room he blames himself for not securing the rice puff better.|
|Soeul, Daeul||SoDa siblings||Soeul and Daeul are so close that the PD's coincidentally named them the "SoDa siblings". Daeul trust and only listens to his older sister Soeul since she has given lots of love since he was born.|
The X-files are film clips that didn't make it to broadcast on the regular program. These clips can be seen on Korean paid subscription web streaming site Cable TV VOD. The clips are narrated by different guests each time, such as Lee Hyeri from Korean girls idol group Girl's Day.
LG is the main sponsor of the show. All the "Superman" families prominently display or use the LG's S Homeboy tablet made by Samsung throughout each episode. Besides the S Homeboy tablet, each Superman family uses or display products they individually endorses on the show.
NOTE: These are only products shown on the show. Not a complete list of each cast member endorsements.
- On June 5, 2014 netizens on the forum site Daum Agora started a petition to have Kim Jung-tae and his son Yakkung removed from the show due to him and his son attending an election campaign on June 1, 2014 for Na Dong-yeon who is a candidate for Gyung-Nam, Yangsan mayor. Na Dong-yeon later released a statement apologizing to Kim Jung-tae and his son Yakkung for the controversy and assured people that the actor and his son was not there to campaign for him. On June 10 a rep for Kim Jung-tae confirmed that he and his son Yakkung have decided to leave the show following the political controversy.
- In June 2014, an article was published voicing netizens complaints of the show overly promoting YG Entertainment artistes since there were too many guest stars under YG's management for Jang Hyun-sung and Tablo's segments, which both are also under YG's management.
- On episode 42 which aired on August 31, 2014 producers took a jab at rival show "Dad! Where Are We Going?" with captions shown during Tablo's segment.
- Viewers voiced their complaints of the mothers showing up on the show too frequently. The complaints were targeted at Tablo's family due to his wife Hyejung appearing entirely during their segment from episodes 52 to 53.
- Viewers voiced their complaints about editing regarding a scene in episode 53 where Song triplets Daehan and Manse are fighting over a toy. The viewers complained that the caption and editing do not show the true facts of what happened.
- On April 22, 2015, an owner of a venue that the show production team had scouted, posted on the shows official forum claiming staff from the show had reserved his venue last minute and then abruptly cancelled the shoot, disregarding for his loss of profit he had taken in order to accommodate the show. After a formal apology was issued by the shows producers the misunderstanding was settled.
- In July 2015, the announcement of Lee Dong-gook and his family joining the show was met with negativity and complaints from fans of Song Il-kook and his triplet sons. Fans of Song and his sons saw it as a sign that Song and his family would be leaving the show and complained on KBS's forum about adding the new family and KBS offering Song an upcoming drama role as a reason for Song to leave the variety show. KBS assured Song's fans that the decision on whether Song and his family stay or leave the show was entirely up to Song's decision.
In April 2014, China's Zhejiang Television (ZJTV) began airing a Chinese version of The Return of Superman called Dad is Back starring former Taiwanese boy band Fahrenheit member Wu Chun, film producer Zhong Lei Wang, actor Jia Nailiang, and former gymnast Li Xiapeng. The show is in collaboration with the producers of the Korean KBS version and follows the same concept as the Korean version with the exception of a narrator. The title of the Chinese version was renamed in order to clear up plagiarism rumors.
Awards and nominations
|2013||12th KBS Entertainment Awards||Top Entertainer Award||Choo Sung-hoon||Won|||
|Best Male Newcomer in a Variety Show||Jang Hyun-sung||Nominated|
|Producer's Special Award||Lee Hwi-jae||Won|
|Excellence Award, Male Entertainer in a Variety Show||Choo Sung-hoon||Nominated|
|Top Excellence Award, Male Entertainer in a Variety Show||Choo Sung-hoon||Nominated|
|Mobile TV Popularity Award||Choo Sa-rang, Jang Jun-woo & Jun-seo,
Lee Haru, Lee Seo-eon & Seo-jun
|Viewer's Choice Program of the Year||The Return of Superman||Nominated|
|Best Eater||Choo Sarang||Nominated|
|2014||50th Paeksang Arts Awards||Best Entertainment Program||The Return of Superman||Nominated|
|13th KBS Entertainment Awards||Viewer's Choice Program of the Year||Won|||
|Top Excellence Award, Male Entertainer in a Variety Show||Choo Sung-hoon||Won|
|Producer's Special Award||Lee Hwi-jae||Won|
|Mobile TV Popularity Award||Choo Sa-rang, Lee Haru, Lee Seo-eon &
Seo-jun, Song Dae-han, Min-guk & Man-se
|Best Scriptwriter||Kim Jung-sun||Won|
|2015||51st Paeksang Arts Awards||Best Entertainment Program||The Return of Superman||Nominated|
|14th KBS Entertainment Awards||Viewer's Choice Program of the Year||Nominated|||
|Male MC Newcomer Award||Lee Dong-gook||Nominated|
|Best Entertainer – Entertainment Category||Won|
|Hot Issue – Variety Show Star Award||Choo Sung-hoon||Won|
|Excellence Award – Male Variety Category||Song Il-gook||Won|
|Grand Prize (Daesang)||Lee Hwi-jae||Won|
|2016||15th KBS Entertainment Awards||Viewer's Choice Program of the Year||The Return of Superman||Nominated|||
|Mobile TV Popularity Award||Lee So-eul & Da-eul, Lee Seo-eon
& Seo-jun, Lee Jae-si, Jae-ah, Soo-ah,
Seol-ah & Si-an, Kim Ro-Hee,
Yang Joy, Oh Seo-heun, In Ha-eun
|Excellence Award – Male Variety Category||Ki Tae-young & Lee Beom-soo||Won|
|Top Excellence Award – Male Variety Category||Lee Dong-gook||Won|
|Grand Prize (Daesang)||Lee Hwi-jae||Nominated|
-  Superman Is Back Confronts Dad Where Are We Going. Retrieved 6-25-2014.
-  KBS synopsis. Retrieved 5-5-2014.
-  singer Rain meets Sarang. Retrieved 5-28-2014.
-  UV & Epik High collaborate on children's song. Retrieved 5-28-2014.
-  Shoo and twins guest star on Superman is Back.
-  Lee Hyun-woo talks about his marriage. Retrieved 5-6-2014.
-  Kim Jung-tae "Strange indeed my baby". Retrieved 6-8-2014.
-  Actor Song Il Kook becomes the father of triplets. Retrieved 6-25-2014.
-  SHIHO, Akiyama Yoshihiro celebrate first child. Retrieved 6-8-2014.
-  ‘BBC Dad’ on Going Viral: ‘This Is Now the First Line in My Obituary’. Retrieved June 4, 2017
-  Tablo joins cast of KBS Superman is Back. Retrieved 5-5-2014.
-  Kim Jung Tae joins Superman is Back cast. Retrieved 5-5-2014.
-  Chae Sira leaving Superman. Retrieved 5-19-2014.
- 'Superman is Back' to air a special on Jang Yoon Jung's pregnancy and childbirth. Retrieved 6-25-2014.
-  Jang Hyun Sung and His Sons to Leave "Superman Returns". Retrieved 6-25-2014.
-  Song Il Kook and his triplets to join 'Superman is Back'. Retrieved 6-25-2014.
-  유학 신애라, ‘슈퍼맨이 돌아왔다’ 내레이션 하차… 후임 허수경 발탁. Retrieved 8-4-2014.
-  Tablo and Haru to Say Farewell to "Superman Returns". Retrieved 12-2-2014.
-  엄태웅, 1년여 만에 KBS 日간판 예능 재입성. Retrieved 12-2-2014.
-  Jung Hye Young to take over as the new narrator for 'Superman is Back'. Retrieved 01-6-2015.
-  New Family with Two Sets of Twins Confirmed to Join "Superman Returns"!. Retrieved July 26, 2015.
-  Uhm Tae Woong and Daughter Uhm Ji On to Leave “The Return of Superman”. Retrieved Feb 28, 2016.
-  Yoon Hye-jin Clarifies Why Uhm Jion Left “The Return of Superman”. Retrieved Feb 28, 2016.
-  Song Il Gook and Triplets Announce Departure from “The Return of Superman”. Retrieved May 21, 2017.
-  Ki Tae Young and Eugene Are the Newest Couple to Join “The Return of Superman”. Retrieved Mar 5, 2016
-  Lee Bum Soo joins 'Return of Superman' with his family. Retrieved May 22, 2017
-  “The Return of Superman” Confirms Final Filming Date for Choo Sarang and Family. Retrieved Mar 5, 2016
-  Oh Ji Ho, Yang Dong Geun, and In Gyo Jin to join revamped 'The Return of Superman'. Retrieved May 22, 2017
-  Sam Hammington is the latest father to join 'The Return of Superman'. Retrieved May 22, 2017
-  SECHSKIES's non-active member Ko Ji Young to join 'The Return of Superman'. Retrieved May 22, 2017
-  Lee Bum Soo and SoDa siblings say goodbye on 'Superman is Back' plus no new families to join for a while. Retrieved May 22, 2017
- </ Prof Robert Kelly and family - the full interview. Retrieved June 4, 2017
-  LG S Homeboy tablet. Retrieved 5-31-2014.
-  fedora website. Retrieved 6-9-2014.
-  Manduca website. Retrieved 6-9-2014.
-  Jimy's Charmer FB page. Retrieved 6-9-2014.
-  Choo Sarang follows in her mother's footsteps as new model for children's clothing brand 'allo&lugh'. Retrieved 6-9-2014.
-  Chu Sung Hoon and Lovely Daughter Chu Sarang Dress Up Sporty for Cosmopolitan. Retrieved 6-9-2014.
-  Chu Sarang Happily Munches Away on Fruits as Newest Delmonte CF Model. Retrieved Feb 28, 2016.
-  Black Yak website. Retrieved 6-9-2014.
-  Moldir website. Retrieved 7-2- 2014.
-  Song Triplets Hana advertisement.
-  Song family Carnival commercial.
-  Song triplets Minute Maid advertisement.
-  Kim Jung-Tae dropping out in the middle of ‘Superman’, even made signature campaign. Retrieved 6-9-2014.
-  Kim Jung Tae and his son Jihoo ('Yakkungi') to leave 'Superman is Back'. Retrieved 6-9-2014.
-  Superman criticized for too much YG. Retrieved 7-1-2014.
- '슈퍼맨이 돌아왔다', YG엔터테인먼트 홍보 방송인가요?. Retrieved 7-1-2014.
-  'Superman' takes a jab at 'Dad' through captions. Retrieved 9-1-2014.
-  Producers of "Superman Returns" Address Criticism about Mothers’ Frequent Appearance. Retrieved 12-29-2014.
-  "Superman Returns" Sparks Controversy with Questionable Editing. Retrieved 12-29-2014.
-  "Superman Returns" Under Fire for "Rude Behavior" to Owner of Shoot Location. Retrieved May 11, 2015.
-  "Superman Returns" PD Says They Do Not Know If Song Il Gook Will Step Down From the Show. Retrieved July 26, 2015.
-  Fans of "Superman Returns" Kept on Edge With Song Il Gook’s Drama Decision Still Up in the Air. Retrieved July 26, 2015.
-  full episodes of "Dad is Back". Retrieved 5-20-2014.
-  Dad is Back news. Retrieved 5-5-2014.
-  Winners and Performances from the 2013 KBS Entertainment Awards. Retrieved 2016-02-25.
-  Children of “Superman is Back” receive Popularity Award at 2014 KBS Entertainment Awards Soompi. Retrieved 2016-02-26.
-  2015 KBS Entertainment Awards: Who Are the Big Winners of the Night? Retrieved 2016-02-25.
-  Winners Of 2016 KBS Entertainment Awards Retrieved 2016-02-25.