|Theme music composer||Moonshine Music|
|Country of origin||United Kingdom|
|No. of series||5|
|No. of episodes||29 (list of episodes)|
|Running time||60 minutes (inc. adverts)|
|Production company(s)||Ricochet South|
|Distributor||Warner Bros. Television Productions UK|
|Original network||Channel 4|
|Original release||7 July 2004 –|
8 October 2008
|Related shows||Jo Frost: Extreme Parental Guidance|
Jo Frost: Family Matters
Supernanny is a British reality television programme about parents struggling with their children's behaviour, mealtime, potty training, etc. The show features professional nanny Jo Frost, who devotes each episode to helping a family where the parents are struggling with their child-rearing. Through instruction and observation, she shows the parents alternative ways to discipline their children and regain order in their households. Frost is a proponent of the "naughty chair" theory of discipline and is strictly opposed to smacking.
Supernanny, starring Jo Frost, was originally broadcast in the UK on Channel 4 on 7 July 2004, following the success of Channel 4's Cutting Edge programme "Bad Behaviour." Supernanny is one of Channel 4's most popular shows, reaching nearly 5 million viewers in the first series, with consistently high ratings throughout the series.
The premiere episode for the third series attracted 3.1 million viewers with a 14% audience share. These values are half of those from the previous two series.
In their book Handbook of Psychological Assessment, Case Conceptualization, and Treatment, Children and Adolescents, Michel Hersen and David Reitman state, "With considerable skill, Super Nanny Jo Frost implements standard, evidence-based contingency management procedures, as well as heavy evidence of creating alternative positive activity structures." The show has had its critics, and not all child-care experts agree with her approach. Some people find that the children's right to privacy has been violated and that children are embarrassed when put on the "naughty step". Newcastle University media and cultural-studies lecturer Tracey Jensen believes that the format results in the mother being "shamed before she is transformed".
A DVD release of Supernanny entitled When Little Kids Cause Big Headaches was released in the UK on 12 April 2010.
|First aired||Last aired|
|1||3||7 July 2004||21 July 2004|
|2||12||5 April 2005||5 October 2005|
|3||6||29 August 2006||3 October 2006|
|4||5||29 August 2007||26 September 2007|
|5||3||24 September 2008||8 October 2008|
Supernanny has been broadcast or slightly adapted in other countries.
Nine Network (2004-2013)
SBS One (2004–2013)
Seven Network (2004-2013)
|Lifestyle Home (2011-2013)|
|Belgium||Supernanny||vtm||No other foreign networks applicable|
|Czech Republic||Superchůva k pohledání
Chůva v akci
|China||育儿大师||Guizhou Satellite Channel|
|Germany||Die Super Nanny (2004-2011)
Mission Familie (since 2014)
|RTL Television |
|Netherlands||Eerste Hulp Bij Opvoeden||RTL 4|
|Cuatro TV|| TV3|
|Sweden||Supernanny Sverige"||TV3||No other foreign networks applicable|
|United States||Supernanny||ABC (2005–2011)
| Channel 4, E4|
W Network, Twist TV
- Deans, Jason (30 August 2006). "'Mrs O' sees off Richard and Judy". The Guardian. London. Retrieved 24 May 2010.
- Michel Hersen; David Reitman (13 May 2008). Handbook of Psychological Assessment, Case Conceptualization, and Treatment, Children and Adolescents. John Wiley & Sons. p. 333. ISBN 978-0-470-17357-2.
- Sean Macaulay (28 January 2010). "Jo Frost interview: How a nanny from South London went on to become an Oprah-approved, world famous, multimillionaire childcare phenomenon". The Telegraph. Telegraph Media Group Limited. Retrieved 18 March 2015.
- Gordon, Byrony (13 September 2014). "Jo Frost interview: The day Supernanny came to tea". The Daily Telegraph. UK: Telegraph Media Group Limited. Retrieved 18 March 2015.
- Campbell, Alex (3 May 2013). "Six childcare gurus who have changed parenting". BBC News. Retrieved 18 March 2015.
- Duerden, Nick (8 September 2007). "Jo Frost: Nanny state". BBC News. Retrieved 18 March 2015.
- "Supernanny [DVD]". amazon.co.uk. Retrieved 29 October 2012.
- "Supernanny (UK)". Channel 4.
- "Supernanny (UK)". Supernanny.co.uk.