Superwoman (Karyn White song)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2006) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Single by Karyn White|
|from the album Karyn White|
|B-side||"Language of Love"|
|Released||January 2, 1989|
|Format||7" single, 12" single|
|Length||5:49 (album version) / 4:30 (edit)|
|Writer(s)||L.A. Reid, Babyface, Daryl Simmons|
|Producer(s)||L.A. Reid, Babyface, Daryl Simmons|
|Karyn White singles chronology|
"Superwoman" is the second single from R&B singer Karyn White's self-titled debut album, Karyn White (1988). It was her second U.S. top ten hit, peaking at number eight and her second U.S. R&B number-one hit. 
In 1991, the song was remade by Gladys Knight, with help from Patti LaBelle and Dionne Warwick, and it was featured on her album Good Woman. Norman Cheung and Faye Wong also released a cover version of "Superwoman" entitled "Because of Him" on her 1990 album You're the Only One. Malaysian Singer Gary Chaw had a Mandarin cover version, also named Superwoman, on his first album Blue in 2006.
The song was covered by Malaysian Idol season 1 winner Jaclyn Victor in 2006 on her second album, Inilah Jac. Heather Headley also covered it in her mini concert. It is often covered in Chinese and Taiwanese singing competitions, notably Janice Yan and Jeanie Lee.
- 7" vinyl single (UK)
- Superwoman (Edit) - 4:30
- The Way You Love Me (Edit) - 3:45
- 12" vinyl single (UK)
- Superwoman (Long Version)
- Superwoman (7" Version) - 4:30
- The Way You Love Me (New York Groove Edit)
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||11|
|US Billboard Hot 100||8|
|US Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs (Billboard)||1|
|US Adult Contemporary (Billboard)
|US Radio & Records CHR/Pop Airplay Chart||9|
- In 1989, Norman Cheung made an atv cover version in Cantonese.
- In 1990, Chinese Diva Faye Wong made a tvb cover version in Cantonese.
- In 1990, Barbara Mandrell covered the song on her 22nd album Morning Sun
- In 2006, Gary Chaw made a cover version of the song in Mandarin.
- In 2006, Japanese reggae singer Metis covered the song for her album Woman.
- In 2012, Heather Headley covered the song for her Only One in the World album.
- In 2014, Sam Bailey covered the song for her debut album The Power of Love
- Whitburn, Joel (2004). Top R&B/Hip-Hop Singles: 1942-2004. Record Research. p. 621.
- on YouTube
- "Archive Chart: 1989-06-10" UK Singles Chart.
- "Karyn White – Chart history" Billboard Hot 100 for Karyn White.
- "Karyn White – Chart history" Billboard Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs for Karyn White.
- "Karyn White – Chart history" Billboard Adult Contemporary for Karyn White.
- Whitburn, Joel (2002). Top Adult Contemporary: 1961-2001. Record Research. p. 256.
- on YouTube
"Oasis" by Roberta Flack
|Billboard Hot Black Singles number-one single
January 14, 1989 – January 28, 1989
"Can You Stand the Rain" by New Edition