|Part of a series on|
|Look up Supreme Being in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
Supreme Being, higher being, and higher power are terms for philosophical conceptions of God. The terms are used by theologists and philosophers of many religious faiths, including Judaism, Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, and deism.
Use of the term
In Christian theology, the term Supreme Being is used to refer to God. Although God is mostly reserved for God the Father in the New Testament, Supreme Being can be used to refer to Jesus Christ or the Christian Trinity of Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
The holy scripture of the Sikhs, Guru Granth Sahib, uses terms that are sometimes translated as "Supreme Being". Sikhs personally use Waheguru, or the term Ik Onkar, meaning "One God."
In the Yoruba religion the term "Supreme Being" is used in reference to Olorun, one of the three manifestations of the Supreme God in the Yoruba pantheon. In Yoruba cosmology, Olorun is the Supreme Being whose supremacy is absolute.
- definition according to Miriam-Webster on line dictionary.
- http://www.actsweb.org/articles/article.php?i=1431&d=2&c=2 and http://www.orthodoxresearchinstitute.org/articles/dogmatics/baroudy_god_supreme_being.htm
- Revelation – Sacred Theology
- The Hindu Online edition of India's National Newspaper, Monday, Sep 22, 2003
- website showing usage by Deists during the French Revolution.
- God – the Supreme Being
- The Sense of a Supreme Being
- Neely, p. 212: "(T)he Convention authorized the creation of a civic religion, the Cult of the Supreme Being. On May 7, Robespierre introduced the legislation...."
- Delmonico, N. (2004). "The History Of Indic Monotheism And Modern Chaitanya Vaishnavism". The Hare Krishna Movement: the Postcharismatic Fate of a Religious Transplant. ISBN 978-0-231-12256-6. Retrieved 2008-04-12.
- Elkman, S.M.; Gosvami, J. (1986). Jiva Gosvamin's Tattvasandarbha: A Study on the Philosophical and Sectarian Development of the Gaudiya Vaisnava Movement. Motilal Banarsidass Pub.
- Maha Shirvratri website, About Lord Shiva
- Allah, al-llah
- God – Olorun
- The Yoruba Religious System