||This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (November 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Major General Suraj Alao Abdurrahman DSS psc (+) fwc PhD (Edin) FNIA MNIM (c. 1954 – 28 January 2015) was an architect, Engineer officer of the Nigerian Army, who served as Command Officer in Charge of the Armed Forces of Liberia. He was born on 9 September 1954.
Abdurrahman was educated at LEA Primary School, Maiduguri Road, KADUNA (1961–67); Government College, KEFFI WASC, 1972. He entered the Nigerian Army as an officer cadet on NDA Regular Course 14 in 1973. He then attended the Nigerian Defence Academy, KADUNA NDACE, 1974; the Engineer Officers' Orientation Course (EYOOC) NAETS, 1976; the Unit Security Officer's Course NAIS, 1976; Ahmadu Bello University, ZARIA BSc (Arch), 1979; the Engineer Young Officers' Course (EYOC) NASME, 1981; Ahmadu Bello University, ZARIA MSc (Arch), 1981; Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh, UK PhD (Arch), 1985; Army Junior Staff Course (AJSC) CSC, 1986; Engineer Squadron Commanders' Course NASME, 1986; Senior Command and Staff Course (CSC) CSC, 1988; Commanding Officers' Course (COC) ICS, 1992; National War College 2000; International Joint Operations Planning Course (IJOPC) UK, 2003.
His professional qualifications includes:
- Fellow of the Nigerian Institute of Architects (FNIA) F/165.
- Fully Registered Architect with ARCON F/642.
- Member Nigerian Institute of Management (MNIM) 17620.
- Fellow of the War College, (fwc).
- Pass Staff Course (psc).
Honors and awards
- Forces Service Star (FSS).
- Meritorious Service Star (MSS).
- Ghana Command & Staff College Dagger - psc (+).
- Nigerian Command & Staff College Dagger psc (+).
- Distinguished Service Star (DSS).
He was survived by his wife Fatima Wali- Abdurrahman and his four sons, Surajudeen, Abduljabbar, Abdulaziz and Abdulmalik, from his previous marriage. His hobbies included photography, travelling, golf and basketball.
- GSO 3 Training, HQ Nigerian Army Engineers, Lagos 1976/77.
- Staff Officer Architecture Army HQ, Lagos 1981/83.
- Instructor, School of Military Engineering, Makurdi 1986/88.
- Commanding Officer, 21 Support Engineer Regiment, Kaduna 1989/91.
- Military Observer, UN Iraq Kuwait Observer Mission, 1991/92.
- Commanding Officer, 13 Field Engineer Regiment, Jos 1992/93.
- Directing Staff, Command & Staff College, Jaji 1993/95.
- Directing Staff, Ghana Command & Staff College, Teshi 1995/97.
- Colonel Personnel Services, Army HQ, Lagos 1997/99.
- Commander, 43 Engineer Brigade, Jos 1999/2000.
- Director Army Real Estate, Army Engineer HQ, Lagos 2001/2002.
- Directing Staff, National War College, Abuja 2002/2004.
- Director of Operations, DAOPs (AHQ), Abuja 2004.
- Director of Policy (DHQ) 2005.
- Chief of Army Standards and Evaluation 2006 to the point he left for Liberia.
- 2Lt Lt - 1977
- Lt Capt - 1981
- Capt Maj - 1986
- Maj Lt Col - 1991
- Lt Col Col - 1996
- Col Brig Gen - 2001
- Brig Gen Maj Gen - 2004
- Alfred C. Luggart (October 2005). Peacekeeping Forces Today and Tomorrow (pdf). Vienna: Austrian Armed Forces. p. 19. Retrieved February 2014. Check date values in:
- Suraj Alao Abdurahmann. The Housing of Soldiers in Military Barracks. Heriot-Watt University. Retrieved February 2014. Check date values in:
- "Liberia: Former Liberian Army Chief, Abdurrahman, Dies in New York", FrontPageAfrica, 29 January 2015
- LiberianForum.com, Where are generals?