This article needs to be updated.January 2017)(
|Transit type||Rapid Transit|
|Number of lines||2 (Phase - I)|
|Number of stations||37|
|Operator(s)||Gujarat Metro Rail Corporation Limited|
|Train length||3 Coach|
|System length||40.35 kilometres (25.07 mi)|
|Track gauge||1,435 mm (4 ft 8 1⁄2 in)|
|Electrification||750 Volt DC Third Rail|
The Surat Metro is a rapid transit rail system proposed for the city of Surat in the Indian state of Gujarat. Central govt has approved the Surat Metro Rail Project on 11 March 2019 having 2 metro rail corridors with a combined length of 40.35 kilometres. The project will be completed in 5 years at an estimated project cost of Rs. 12020.32 Crore .
In August 2012, the Surat Municipal Corporation (SMC) proposed four rail routes for the metro project. The Government of Gujarat approved two corridors in January 2017. The corridors are; from Sarthana, Varachha to Dream City (22-kilometre (14 mi)) and from Bhesan Depot to Saroli (18-kilometre (11 mi)). The project will cost ₹ 12,114 crore. Sarthana-Dream City corridor will have 21 stations and Bhesan Depot-Saroli corridor will have 16 stations. Out of approved 40-kilometre (25 mi) corridor, 33-kilometre (21 mi) will be elevated whereas 7-kilometre (4.3 mi) will be underground. The union government has approved the project. It will be implemented by Gujarat Metro Rail Corporation Limited and it will be financed mainly through equity from Government of India and Government of Gujarat on 50:50 basis and loan from bilateral/ multilateral agencies.
- 09 March 2019: Public Investment Board (PIB) approves 12,000 Crores INR Surat Metro rail project. 
- 11 March 2019: Surat metro rail project approved by central govt with combined length of 40.35 km
- "SMC to check feasibility of four Metro routes". DNA India. 2 August 2012. Retrieved 7 August 2012.
- "Narendra Modi announces state's approval to Surat Metro train project". DeshGujarat.com. 11 August 2012. Retrieved 1 January 2013.
- "Surat metro will have 2 corridors". Retrieved 10 March 2019.
- "PIB has approved the DPR of Surat Metro". Retrieved 8 March 2019.
- "DPR approved by Union govt". Retrieved 11 March 2019.