Surat Municipal Institute of Medical Education and Research
Official seal of SMIMER, Surat
|Type||Municipal medical college|
|Veer Narmad South Gujarat University (VNSGU)|
|Dean||Dr. Kalpana Desai|
|Undergraduates||150 per year|
|Postgraduates||51 per year|
|Location||Surat, Gujarat, India|
Surat Municipal Institute of Medical Education and Research (SMIMER) is a medical college and teaching hospital in Surat, Gujarat, India, which is the fourth-fastest-growing city in the world. It was established in 2000 and has been affiliated to the Veer Narmad South Gujarat University. The institute is spread over a floor area of 18,427 square metres (198,350 sq ft) for the medical college, and 75,217 square metres (809,630 sq ft) for the hospital section. It was developed with a total expenditure of Rs. 484.29 million by the Surat Municipal Corporation. 
The medical college admits 150 undergraduate students each year. The college campus has an area of 25 acres (100,000 m2). SMIMER is owned and run by the Surat Municipal Corporation and is approved by the Medical Council of India under MCI Act 10 A.
The college has its own hospital located next to the medical college complex with 500 beds, out of which 90% are free beds and 10% are paying beds in the special wards. Dr. Vandana Desai is the Administrative Medical Superintendent. The casualty department i.e. emergency medicine or trauma center is available 24 hours a day and an average of 100–125 patients are treated every day. The hospital is a non-profit organisation run by Surat Municipal Corporation.
In 2013, Surat Municipal Institute of Medical Education and Research (SMIMER) was ranked as the 8th-best emerging medical college in India in the annual survey - "India's Best Colleges" conducted by India Today and Nielsen Company. 
Departments of SMIMER Hospital and College
- Department of General Medicine
- Department of T.B & Chest
- Department of Skin & V.D
- Department of Psychiatry
- Department of Anesthesiology
- Department of Surgery
- Department of Orthopedics
- Department of General Surgery
- Department of Ophthalmology
- Department of E.N.T.
- Department of Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Department of Pediatrics
- Department of Radio Diagnosis
- Department of Anatomy
- Department of Physiology
- Department of Biochemistry
- Department of Pathology
- Department of Pharmacology
- Department of Microbiology
- Department of Forensic Medicine & Toxicology
- Department of Preventive & Social Medicine
- Department of Emergency Medicine (Casualty)
- Department of Physiotherapy
- Department of Dentistry
24-hour emergency services are maintained. Daily workload in the emergency department is 100-125 patients on average. Casualty OPDs, wards and operation theatres are equipped for round-the-clock services. Bed strength in the casualty department is 20 and there are two operation theatres in the section. Emergency operations are performed in the section. Routine post-mortems as well as medicolegal post-mortems are done.
- "about.shtml". Archived from the original on 2 February 2012. Retrieved 19 June 2012.
- http://www.suratmunicipal.gov.in/content/EmployeeDetails/EmployeeDetailsInfo.asp?EmployeeNo=35051[permanent dead link]
- introduction.shtml Archived 2008-11-06 at the Wayback Machine.
- "READY RECKNOR EMERGING DIRECTORY Colleges 2013 in medicine India Today Survey". InToday.in. Retrieved 14 February 2017.