|This article is an orphan, as no other articles link to it. Please introduce links to this page from ; try the Find link tool for suggestions. (January 2011)|
Type of site
|Alexa rank||3,170,814 (April 2014[update])|
The realtime search engine used proprietary algorithms based on Twitter mentions, Facebook shares, diggs and votes by its users to normalize results and rank web pages popular in real time. The results were organized in tabs based on their source: "popular" items were web pages most followed/voted by users, "blogs" were items pulled from the blogosphere, "social web" included diggs and tweets, "pictures" pulled from flickr and photobucket, "videos" from YouTube and Truveo, and "products" from Amazon.com and eBay. Surchur was used by some as an internet reputation management tool.
The homepage displayed the Real Time Board, an algorithmically determined and ranked list of the most popular topics on the web. The list was based on popular terms from search engines, news sites and social media and the ranking is based on the popularity across Surchur itself, the blogosphere and total tweets with the velocity of the popularity playing a crucial role.
Since August 2012, the service has been "indefinitely paused".
- "Surchur.com Site Info". Alexa Internet. Retrieved 2014-04-01.
- Valenza, Joyce (August 19, 2009). "Surching with Surchur". School Library Journal. Archived from the original on August 25, 2009.
- Perez, Sarah (February 25, 2009). "Surchur relaunches their dashboard to the now". Readwrite.
- McGee, Matt (September 1, 2009). "Surchur: beyond real time search to real time discovery". Search Engine Land.
- "Surchur goes for 'social plus' after record month". Alt Search Engines. October 29, 2009. Archived from the original on November 9, 2009.
- Bradley, Phil (February 24, 2009). "Surchur". Phil Bradley's weblog.
- "Free Internet Reputation Management Tool". It's All About Marketing. November 29, 2009.
- Lenssen, Philipp (March 25, 2009). "Surchur's dashboard-style results". Google Blogoscoped.
- MacDonald, Denice (November 2, 2009). "Follow real time search results with Surchur". MacDonald Consulting Services.
- Bradley, Phil (August 31, 2012). "Surchur closes". Phil Bradley's weblog.
- "Surchur.com starts 2010 on a high note". PR Log. January 19, 2010.
- "Surchur Goes for 'Social Plus' After Experiencing Record Month". PR Log. October 28, 2009.
- "Surchur.com launches the Real Time Board". PR Log. August 11, 2009.
- "Surchur Launches Update; Makes It Easier To Follow Social Media On The Internet: Calls It 'Ultimate Dashboard To Now On The Web'". PR Web. February 26, 2009.