Sure Know Something
|"Sure Know Something"|
|Single by Kiss|
|from the album Dynasty|
|Released||September 30, 1979|
|Studio||Electric Lady Studios, New York City; Record Plant Studios, New York City|
|Label||Casablanca NB-2205 (US)|
|Songwriter(s)||Paul Stanley, Vini Poncia|
|Kiss singles chronology|
"Sure Know Something" is a song by American hard rock band Kiss, released on their 1979 album Dynasty. The B-side is "Dirty Livin'", another album track featured on the Dynasty album which was co-written and sung by drummer Peter Criss.
Written by vocalist/guitarist Paul Stanley and producer Vini Poncia, "Sure Know Something" reached number 47 on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 singles chart in 1979, and in the Top Ten in some countries around the world. It would become another top ten hit (number 5) for the band in Australia.
A promotional video, directed by John Goodhue, was filmed for the single and featured the band on a mock-up of what was their Dynasty-era stage show. "Sure Know Something" was performed by the band acoustically during their MTV Unplugged performance in 1995 and with the Melbourne Symphony Ensemble on their live album Kiss Symphony: Alive IV.
The song incorporates disco music into the usual style of a rock ballad. It is one of two disco rock hits for the band, the other being "I Was Made for Lovin' You". It is seen as being one of the more sophisticated songs written by Paul Stanley, with critics noting the heartfelt feelings of confusion and sorrow. The song musically and lyrically is darker than most Kiss songs, with the song being played in a minor key and the lyrics referring to being overwhelmed by loss of virginity. The song is still heard today on New Zealand and Australian Rock radio stations.
- Paul Stanley – lead vocals, rhythm and lead guitar
- Gene Simmons – bass guitar, backing vocals
- Ace Frehley - backing vocals
- Anton Fig – drums
- Vini Poncia – backing vocals, keyboards
A number of artists have released cover versions of "Sure Know Something". A partial listing:
- In 1995, Bobby Bandiera released a cover of the song on the tribute album Dressed to Kill - An Independent Tribute to Kiss.
- In 2001, German hard-rock band Demon Drive covered the song on their album, Rock 'N' Roll Star.
- In 2009, guitarist/vocalist, Tim McPhate released a cover of the song on the album Succession - A 30th Anniversary Tribute to Dynasty.
- In 2009, Italian hard rock band Lost Reflection (Fulco, Moretti, Sorrenti, Curatola) released a cover of the song as single. It charted in Japan.
- In 2009, Argentinian Roots Reggae band, Los Cafres released a cover of the song on the album Classic Lover Covers.
- In 2014, Italian hard rock band Virus released a cover of the song for the CD Kissed By Kiss (featuring 22 Kiss tracks played by Italian bands and artists)
In 2019 The Hindley Street Country Club (HSCC) “Australia” released a cover version and video of the song.