||This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (November 2015)|
|Categories||architecture, design, fashion|
|Based in||New York City|
Surface is an American design, Architecture, and fashion magazine. The magazine is published 10 times a year. Surface magazine covers in depth design profiles of prominent architects, designers, artists and photographers. Marc Lotenburg is the CEO and Spencer Bailey is the Editor in Chief.
In 1997, Surface introduced its first Avant Guardian issue, which focused on the Avant Guardian Awards, a photography competition that presents an opportunity for up and coming photographers to gain recognition and jumpstart their careers in the fashion editorial world. Winners have gone on to work for world renowned fashion houses and magazines like Giorgio Armani, Hermès, Banana Republic, Nike, IBM and Levi's—as well as magazines like Vogue, Elle, Harper’s Bazaar, Mademoiselle, and The New York Times Magazine. 10 finalists are chosen by heads of fashion and design, and have their work featured in a blowout fashion spread and showcased at a special launch event.
In 2009, the publication was acquired by Quatro Media, with co-founders Richard Klein staying on as publisher and Riley Johndonnell staying on as head of creative.
In 2013 Surface launched Design Dialogue Series, a talk series in which Editor in Chief Spencer Bailey discusses design topics with featured international designers and brands.
In February 2015, Surface announced its partnership with the nonprofit membership organization, Art Directors Club. Through this partnership, ADC plans on on helping build Surface’s creative team.
‘We’re looking for a team of forward-thinking creatives to design and art direct a media group for 2015 and forward. Surface is poised for significant growth across multiple channels, from print to digital to events to licensing, and is determined to scale up. By hiring a team that embraces technology, our aim is to improve our reader’s experience and bolster our focus on design. Surface is a collaborative, hands-on environment with strong potential for career advancement.’ Marc Lotenburg, Surface magazine CEO 
In 2015, editor in chief Spencer Bailey stated that as part of the magazine's redesign plans, new columns would be added to the magazine, focusing on fashion and design equally. These new columns include Detail, which looks at garment and textile detail, Taste, in which a thought leader shares a current personal interest, How Its Made, which is set to replace the yearly issue of the same name, Executive, in which an executive discusses the convergence of business and creativity, and Dialogue, a conversation between two creatives. In February 2016, Surface is set to release the Builders issue, which will focus on hotel businesses and real estate developers.
In October 2015, the publication announced a licensing deal with Curacity Inc, to launch Surface Hotels, a luxury travel agency. According to CEO Marc Lotenburg, more than 300 hotels signed up to be partnered with Surface. In the same month, Surface magazine is set to publish its last Avant Guardian issue, creating space for the new October Travel issue. The 2015 Legends at Work and How Its Made issues are also the last. 
- 441,250 total yearly readers
- Male readers outnumber female readers 55/45
- Average household income is 303,000 US dollars
- Average reader age is 37
- 91% are college graduates
- 65% are employed in design fields
The publication has an online presence through the Surface 7 biweekly newsletter, as well as a Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, and Twitter following.
- "Surface Magazine to launch travel agency, shutter Avant Guardian issue". www.capitalnewyork.com. Retrieved 2015-10-31.
- "Beneath the surface / San Francisco design zine, now 10, has spread influence far and wide and enjoyed a surge of interest for its innovative approach". SFGate. Retrieved 2015-10-31.
- "Beneath the surface / San Francisco design zine, now 10, has spread influence far and wide and enjoyed a surge of interest for its innovative approach". SFGate. Retrieved 2015-10-28.
- "The 12th Annual Avant Guardian Project by Surface magazine | Yatzer". Yatzer. Retrieved 2015-10-30.
- "About Avant Guardian". SURFACE. Retrieved 2015-11-01.
- "The 12th Annual Avant Guardian Project by Surface magazine | Yatzer". Yatzer. Retrieved 2015-10-28.
- "About Avant Guardian". SURFACE. Retrieved 2015-10-30.
- "Surface Magazine Sold to Quadra Media - Folio:". Folio:. Retrieved 2015-11-01.
- "Design Dialogues". SURFACE. Retrieved 2015-11-09.
- "ADC Announces Partnership with Surface Magazine". ADC • Global Awards & Club. Retrieved 2015-10-29.
- "Surface Magazine Increases Fashion Content". WWD. Retrieved 2015-10-29.
- "The 60-second interview: Spencer Bailey, editor in chief of Surface magazine". www.capitalnewyork.com. Retrieved 2015-11-01.
- "Surface Magazine to launch travel agency, shutter Avant Guardian issue". www.capitalnewyork.com. Retrieved 2015-10-30.
- "Media Kit". SURFACE. Retrieved 2015-11-09.