|Product family||Microsoft Surface|
|Release date||June 15, 2017|
|Introductory price||US$799.00 to $2,699.00|
|Operating system||Windows 10 S or Windows 10 Pro (if upgraded)|
|CPU||Intel Kaby Lake dual-core processor:|
|Memory||4, 8 or 16 GB LPDDR3 RAM|
|Storage||SSD: 128 GB, 256 GB, 512 GB, 1 TB 110.6 MBps|
|Display||13.5", 2256 × 1504 (201 PPI) LCD|
|Graphics||m3: Intel HD Graphics 615|
i5: Intel HD Graphics 620
i7: Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640
|Sound||Omnisonic speakers, stereo microphones, headset jack|
|Input||Keyboard, touchpad mouse|
|Camera||Front 720p HD|
|Connectivity||802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.0, USB 3.0 port, Mini DisplayPort|
|Dimensions||12.13 by 8.79 by 0.57 inches (30.8 cm × 22.3 cm × 1.4 cm)|
|Weight||2.76 pounds (1.25 kg)|
|This article is part of a series on the|
Surface Laptop was announced at the #MicrosoftEDU event by Microsoft on May 2, 2017, alongside Windows 10 S and an updated version of Surface Arc Mouse that includes a large capactive surface. It was available for a pre-order on the same day and began shipping on June 15, 2017.
Surface Laptop models ship with Windows 10 S, a feature-limited edition of Windows 10 with restrictions on software usage; users may only install software from Windows Store, and system settings are locked to only allow Microsoft Edge as the default web browser with Bing as its search engine, since third-party web browsers using custom layout engines are banned from Windows Store.
The device may be upgraded to Windows 10 Pro for free, which removes these restrictions.
The Surface Laptop is the 5th addition to Surface lineup, following the Surface Pro, Surface Hub, Surface Book, and the Surface Studio. Unlike the other products, the Surface Laptop is aimed toward students. Microsoft claims a 14.5-hour battery life when running Windows 10 S, but testing suggests that the battery can be depleted to 50% in just 2.5 hours. It comes in four colors: Platinum, Graphite Gold, Burgundy, and Cobalt Blue as advertised.
It has a 13.5-inch "Pixel Sense" Display at 2256 × 1504 using a 3:2 aspect ratio. It features a 10-point touch screen along with Surface Pen support. Unlike other ultra-portables by Microsoft, this does not feature any sort of detachment mechanism from the keyboard.
The Surface Laptop uses seventh-generation "Kaby Lake" processors, with both Intel Core i5 and i7 variants. It uses Intel HD Graphics 620 on the Core i5 version, while the Core i7 model uses Intel Iris Plus 640.
Three system memory options are available at purchase: 4, 8, and 16 GB and three SSD options: 128, 256, and 512 GB. These cannot be upgraded in the future. The SSD has a transfer speed of 110.6 MBps, which is quite slow when compared to its competitors.
The Surface Laptop cannot be opened without destroying it, making it impossible to repair or upgrade by anyone except Microsoft. It has an unremovable battery with a capacity of 45.2 Wh. All other parts are either glued or soldered.
|Surface Laptop Configuration Options |
|Price Tier (USD)||CPU||Integrated GPU||RAM||Internal Storage|
|799||Intel Core m3-7Y30 (1.0 to 2.6 GHz)||HD 615||4 GB||128 GB|
|999||Intel Core i5-7200U (2.5 to 3.1 GHz)||HD 620|
|1599||Intel Core i7-7660U (2.5 to 4.0 GHz)||Iris 640|
|2199||16 GB||512 GB|
- Fox, news (May 2, 2017). "Microsoft introduces new Surface Laptop, system upgrades at EDU event". Fox News. Retrieved May 3, 2017.
- "Microsoft's lie-flat Surface Arc mouse is a new take on an old design". Engadget. Retrieved 2017-05-05.
- Mitchel, Broussard (May 2, 2017). "Microsoft Debuts $999 Surface Laptop, 'Streamlined' Windows 10 S, and More at Education Event". Mac Rumors. Retrieved May 3, 2017.
- Bott, Ed (10 March 2017). "Google Chrome won't be allowed on Windows 10 S". ZDNet. CBS Interactive.
- Warren, Tom. "Windows 10 S won't let you change the default browser or switch to Google search". The Verge. Vox Media.
- Tom, Warren (May 2, 2017). "Microsoft unveils $999 Surface Laptop running Windows 10 S". The Verge. Retrieved May 3, 2017.
- "Microsoft admits Windows 10 S was confusing, new 'S Mode' upgrades will be free". The Verge. Vox Media. Retrieved 16 March 2018.
- Microsoft Surface Laptop: First impressions, details, release date - Business Insider
- Microsoft Surface Laptop Review: A Real Stunner, But Get Windows Pro
- You Can’t Open the Microsoft Surface Laptop Without Literally Destroying It - Motherboard
- Microsoft Surface Laptop Teardown
- Microsoft Surface Laptop tech specs
- Commercial Microsoft Surface Laptop tech specs