Surface Pro 6
|Release date||Oct 16, 2018|
|Introductory price||$899 (£879, AU $1,349)|
|Operating system||Windows 10 Home|
Windows 10 Pro (switch or business)
|CPU||Intel Kaby Lake R quad core:
1.60 up to 3.40 GHz
1.70 up to 3.60 GHz
1.90 up to 4.20 GHz
|Memory||8 GB or 16 GB LPDDR3 RAM|
|Storage||Solid-state drive, in 128 GB, 256 GB, 512 GB, or 1 TB capacities|
|Display||12.3 inches (31 cm) 2736x1824 (267ppi) PixelSense display with 3:2 aspect ratio, 10-point multi-touch, and pen support|
|Graphics||Intel UHD Graphics 620|
|Camera||Front: 5.0MP 1080p Skype HD video with Windows Hello|
Rear: 8.0MP 1080p video
|Dimensions||292 millimetres (11.5 in) (width)|
201 millimetres (7.9 in) (height)
8.5 millimetres (0.33 in) (depth)
|Mass||i5: 775 grams (1.709 lb)|
i7: 792 grams (1.746 lb)
|Predecessor||Surface Pro (2017)|
|Successor||Surface Pro 7|
|This article is part of a series on|
The Surface Pro 6 is a 2-in-1 detachable tablet computer developed by Microsoft. It is the sixth generation of Surface Pro and was announced alongside the Surface Laptop 2 on October 2, 2018 at an event in New York. It was released on October 16, 2018.
This sixth generation Surface computer line has all been updated to Intel's eighth generation Kaby Lake Refresh Core-i5 and Core-i7 CPUs. It is available with either 8 or 16GB of RAM, 128GB, 256GB, 512GB or 1TB of Solid State Storage, and business or consumer models. Business models are pre-installed with Windows 10 Pro while Consumer SKUs are pre-installed with Windows 10 Home.
The port configuration on the Surface Pro 6 remains the same as previous generations with one Surface Connect, USB 3.0 type-A port, one Mini DisplayPort, a 3.5mm headphone jack, and a microSD card reader. Unlike the Surface Go, a USB-C port is not present on the Surface Pro 6. The optional Surface type cover attaches to a magnetic pin port at the bottom of the device which is identical physically to the previous Surface Pro model.
The Surface Pro 6 received generally favourable reviews, with many reviewers praising its high performance and long battery life; however, it was criticised for lacking USB-C ports.
When the brightness is changed to 200 nits, the Surface Pro 6 draws 5W of power. When being charged, the Surface Pro 6 has three different power modes to change how it draws power: Suggested, Better Performance, and Best Performance. When the Surface Pro 6 is not being charged, it adds another power mode in: Battery Saver, Recommended, Better Performance, Best Performance. The battery life on the Surface Pro 6 comes in at 9 hours.
|Price tier (USD)||CPU||GPU||Internal storage||RAM|
|899||Eighth Generation Intel Core i5-8250U
(Core i5-8350U for Business SKUs)
|Intel UHD Graphics 620||128 GB||8 GB|
|Eighth Generation Intel Core i7-8650U||8 GB|
|1899||512 GB||16 GB|
All consumer configurations of the Surface Pro 6 are pre-installed with Windows 10 Home 64-bit. Business configurations are pre-installed with Windows 10 Pro. Both include 30-day trials of Microsoft Office 365.
- An optional Type Cover covered with Alcantara material available in four different colors.
- An optional Surface pen with tilt support and up to 4096 levels of pressure sensitivity and is available in four different colors.
- There are two styles of Surface mouse available in three colors. They are the Surface Mobile Mouse and the Surface Arc Mouse.
- The Surface Pro 6 is compatible with the Surface dial for additional shortcuts and functionality.
- An optional USB-C adapter which attaches to the docking/AC adapter "Surface Connect" port. The adapter supports USB 3, Display Port alternate mode, and charging via USB Power Delivery.
- "The 5 biggest announcements from the Microsoft Surface event".
- Sharma, Krishan (2018-10-17). "Surface Laptop 2, Pro 6 review: Microsoft's PCs are back, in black". The Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved 2018-12-15.
- "Introducing the New Surface Pro 6 – Ultra-light and Versatile – Microsoft Surface". Microsoft Store. Retrieved 2018-12-15.
- Howse, Brett. "The Microsoft Surface Pro 6 Review: More Than A Color". www.anandtech.com. Retrieved 2018-12-18.
- "Configure your Surface Pro 6". www.microsoft.com.
- "Shop Surface Pro (5th gen) – Microsoft Surface". Microsoft Store.
- "Buy Surface Pro 6 for Business - Microsoft Store". Microsoft Store.
- "Surface Pro 6 and Surface Laptop 2: New internals, new color, old ports".